What's new

Cisco SG350-10P L3 Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I finally setup my Cisco SG350-10P as my home L3 switch. My wife had a FaceTime happy hour with 1 of her girl friends at 6:00 PM and then we had to stream for a while watching her shows. So about 10:00 PM I had a window to replace my L3 switch. It took a couple of hours. I got most everything running. I still have 1 HP color laser network device to add to the L3 switch. I need to create an access port for for the guess VLAN and probably reload HP's software. I did not want to deal with it last night. The trunk port to the Cisco WAP581 wireless APs shows traffic from VLAN10 which is my router VLAN so I need to exclude VLAN10 traffic. This is a difference between Cisco small business switches and Cisco IOS switches. With IOS switches you add the VLANs to a trunk port and with Cisco small business switches all VLANs are in the trunk port.

I setup my usual 4 home VLANs. I use a router VLAN, a main LAN VLAN, a guest VLAN, and a server VLAN. Since I turned off my server rack the server VLAN does not see much use. The router VLAN only has 1 device the router. This keeps anything from slowing it down doing internet traffic. DHCP is done on the switch.

Since I am not running all my servers I don't need all the ports of a big switch. The SG350-10P seems to work well for home use. I think there is a firmware bug on the reported POE+ power use. It shows 52 watts for 2 Cisco WAP581 APs. Cisco states 18 watts is maximum POE+ power draw for a WAP581 wireless AP. Plus my older Cisco SG300-10MPP shows the power draw as less.

I paid $150 for this Cisco SG350-10P off eBay. I think you can put together a nice home Cisco system used off eBay for about what an high-end all-in-one router costs. Cisco WAP581 APs go for $100 on eBay used. A Cisco RV340 router costs a little over $200. So for around a little less than $500 you could buy 1 Cisco SG350-10P L3 switch, 1 Cisco WAP581 wireless AP, and 1 Cisco RV340 router with room and power for an addition Cisco wireless AP.

I am drawing less electricity now that I have consolidated all my switches to 1 POE+ L3 switch with no fans. It is a cute little L3 switch that work well so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!