What's new

Clarification needed on dual band routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

debun

New Around Here
If you have multiple wireless devices will a dual band router broadcast at the fastest connection speed for each device or will it drop to the slowest speed? Does dual band only mean 2.4 Ghz v/s 5Ghz? I was thinking of getting the ASUS RT-N56U any other recommendations that have 1000M WAN/LAN?

The devices I use everyday
1) Dell laptop: 802.11g
2) Encore repeater plugged into media player: 802.11b,g,n Draft 2.0
3) Blackberry cell phone: 802.11 b/g/n3

simultaneous dual band routers have both 2.4 and 5ghz radios broadcasting at the same time. you name them 2 different ssid's and you connect your devices to them accordingly.

The Asus is very good, i own one. I dont use it at the moment. I'm currently using the Linksys E4200

So what you are saying is if I had a device connect at 802.11b I could have another device at 802.11n on the same router?

802.11b is 2.4GHz only.
802.11g is 2.4GHz only.
802.11n can be 2.4GHz and/or 5.8GHz.
802.11a (older) is 5.8GHz only.

Some routers can use 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz concurrently; others cannot. It's more expensive to support concurrent operations.

So what you are saying is if I had a device connect at 802.11b I could have another device at 802.11n on the same router?

Well you could have that scenario on a router thats NOT dual bands.
any 802.11N router can run in "mixed mode" which is B,G,N at the 2.4GHZ frequency.

Dual band routers add the 5GHZ frequency for devices that support that. You have to select wether you want to run 2.4Ghz or 5GHZ.

SIMULTANEOUS DUAL BAND means that it has 2 seperate chips, one for 2.4ghz and one for 5GHZ and they run at the same time. so you can plug in literally any wifi device. a,b,g,n and take advantage of the highest N speeds with the 5GHZ frequency.

You can have b, g, and n devices on 2.4GHz., and the "n" device will operate at "n" speed except when it collides with a slower device. At that point, the "n" device will operate at the speed of the slowest device that it collided with.

As others have said, this isn't a problem on 5GHz., since neither wireless-b or wireless-g devices can use that band. Only wireless-n devices can.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!