What's new

Client List from Command Line on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KC KingC

New Around Here
Hi, I want to get a client list of wireless devices that are connected to my guest network. I don't seem to be able to find it in the GUI, so I am trying to find it via the command line. Does anyone have a procedure or command that does this?

One way (and the only way I know) is to go into the Wireless Log and look at the Station List. Guest network devices have a non-blank ‘idx’ entry. I only have one guest network so my guest devices have an idx of 1. The other devices have a blank idx.

One way (and the only way I know) is to go into the Wireless Log and look at the Station List. Guest network devices have a non-blank ‘idx’ entry. I only have one guest network so my guest devices have an idx of 1. The other devices have a blank idx.

Thank you. I see that now. I am using a guest network to isolate my IoT devices from interacting with other devices (laptops, phones, etc.) on the rest of my network. I am able to export the Client List and manually correlate it with the the non-blank 'idx' entries in the Wireless Log. It would be nice if the Clients List itself showed which SSID the client is using...

So I went spelunking through the command line interface to find out how I can pull the client list and wireless log so that I can programatically create a list that shows all of the information on the Client List, cross-referenced with the non-blank 'idx' entries in the Wireless Log. By parsing through the index.asp file, I found the location of the master client list: /tmp/clientlist.json. If you parse the json file it breaks down the connected devices by connection type - 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz and also has an indicator for guest vs. normal network. It is too bad the UI designers didn't include that last bit in the GUI, because then I'd be done ;). So now I just need to figure out where the rest of the info lives (hostname, etc.) so I can easily pull that data in.

I've been having similar weirdness with client listings. The difference seems to be that when I look at the Wireless Log through the WebUI, NOTHING is listed in the Stations List for ANY of my SSIDs. Is there a setting for detailed logging or something that I need to do?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!