What's new

Client names not appearing correctly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeatingNetwork

New Around Here
Hey everyone, so I'm currently using asuswrt-merlin 378.55 on an ASUS RT-AC66U and I'm noticing that several client names aren't appearing correctly in the client list. Instead, they're showing up as *. Is there anything that I can do to resolve this? The devices themselves do have names and should be appearing as such. If not, is there a way to edit the names in manually?

Also, is it normal for the router to assign such a wide range of IPs at once? For example one device may be assigned IP 100, while another may be assigned 156 or even 500 with no devices taking up the IP numbers in between.

Thanks so much for any help that you guys can offer :)

UPDATE: So I'm actually able to change the client names now, even though it wasn't working before. I'm honestly not sure what the problem was initially, but just clicking the client icon allows me to change the name now. Thanks again for the help, everyone!

Last edited:
Also, is it normal for the router to assign such a wide range of IPs at once? For example one device may be assigned IP 100, while another may be assigned 156 or even 500 with no devices taking up the IP numbers in between.

Thanks so much for any help that you guys can offer :)

yes. its normal but can be changed by addimg this to the dnsmasq config...

dhcp-sequential-ip
Dnsmasq is designed to choose IP addresses for DHCP clients using a hash of the client's MAC address. This normally allows a client's address to remain stable long-term, even if the client sometimes allows its DHCP lease to expire. In this default mode IP addresses are distributed pseudo-randomly over the entire available address range. There are sometimes circumstances (typically server deployment) where it is more convenient to have IP addresses allocated sequentially, starting from the lowest available address, and setting this flag enables this mode. Note that in the sequential mode, clients which allow a lease to expire are much more likely to move IP address; for this reason it should not be generally used.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the reply! I'll leave it as is then. Hopefully I can find a way to solve the client names issue though as that's really the only thing keeping this router from being perfect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!