What's new

client OpenVPN and dnsmasq: Incorrent tun interface created?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nadieaqui

Occasional Visitor
asuswrt merlin: 384.8_2
router: rt-ac68u

Created client OpenVPN on router, interface tun11 was created (shown by route).
However, in dnsmasq, interface tun21 and tun22 is used (shown by /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
In my opinion, tun11 should be used in dnsmasq.

Is this a bug? or does everyone just add interface=tun11 (or tun*) to /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add ?

Only really necessary if the OpenVPN client is going to be used as a bidirectional tunnel, where a client on the remote system intends to initiate connections into your local network, and its DNS server. Not the norm.

The reason it *is* added for the OpenVPN server is because it is quite normal for the remote OpenVPN client to want access to your local network and its DNS server.

I suppose you could argue it should be done for the OpenVPN clients as well, in the rare case it is a bidirectional tunnel, but the developer chose not to for whatever reason.

Only really necessary if the OpenVPN client is going to be used as a bidirectional tunnel, where a client on the remote system intends to initiate connections into your local network, and its DNS server. Not the norm.

The reason it *is* added for the OpenVPN server is because it is quite normal for the remote OpenVPN client to want access to your local network and its DNS server.

I suppose you could argue it should be done for the OpenVPN clients as well, in the rare case it is a bidirectional tunnel, but the developer chose not to for whatever reason.

Thank You for the info. Appreciations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!