What's new

[CLOSED] Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
/jffs

Folks,
Highly recommended to backup your /jffs directory before installing and running this firmware. From what I can tell, both my 87U and 68U were re-formatted.
No big deal, I backup /jffs often to a USB stick (/tmp/mnt/Main):

$ cd /jffs
$ tar cvf /tmp/mnt/Main/jffsbu *

Be warned ;-)

Then I can no longer log in. The password is not accepted... (neither "admin" nor the one I just set)
Turns out my password manager was somehow over-aggressive.

After I temporarily disabled it before setting up the router the setup went fine.

I really like that new detailed traffic analyzer! I've been waiting for something like this. Thanks ASUS!

I wonder if you enable the custom save location in Merlins firmware for Traffic Data if it will save the data compiled by the traffic analyzer.

Quantenna driver update?

Have you heard anything from Asus about getting the GPL for the Quantenna driver for the rt-ac87u, or are you still having to use an an older one?

If I am currently running Tomato firmware, would I need to revert to earlier Merlin FW prior to upgrading to the beta build?

Also once I upgrade to the new version (with new CFE), if I want to revert back, I am assuming that the CFE/FW can be downgraded.

what happens if u are on 1.0.2.0 CFE and upgrade to the beta firmware (what version CFE will it end up with..v1.x or v2.x)?? what exact CFE version would it end up with comming from 1.0.2.0?

If I am currently running Tomato firmware, would I need to revert to earlier Merlin FW prior to upgrading to the beta build?

Also once I upgrade to the new version (with new CFE), if I want to revert back, I am assuming that the CFE/FW can be downgraded.

im wondering the same thing. who wants to be a guini pig? :p

Wow this sounds like an AWESOME update!

Really excited to test out the traffic analyzer. Only thing is that my router is working perfectly... and I don't feel like dealing with glitches :). So I'll just go donate a couple extra bucks to Merlin's work :D.

AC68U(After factory reset)

1st:
After upgrading to the .50, the CFE version is 1.0.1.6.

2nd:
I found in .50, if I add "strict-order" to "dnsmasq.conf.add", then I can't ping nothing from router until I ping the same host from a client (I can ping any hosts from a client). But after the cache of dnsmasq expired, then again I can't ping that host from router, which resulting in NTP not working, and thus DDNS, ipv6 tunnel and anything depending on the sync of time.
Removing "strict-order" makes pinging on the router work again.
This didn't happen on previous version. I'm using PPPoE for WAN.
I can't post "dnsmasq.conf" here becasue it says I'm blocked becasue of some keyword violation or whatever.
/etc/dnsmasq.conf:
http://freetexthost.com/wwloqyhikw

/tmp/resolv.conf:
Code:
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222

resolv.dnsmasq:

Code:
server=/local/208.67.220.220
server=/local/208.67.222.222
server=/local/208.67.220.220
server=/local/208.67.222.222
server=2620:0:ccc::2
server=2620:0:ccd::2

Last edited:
Merlin,
This beta is only 19MB for n66u , it's significantly smaller than the previous builds of 26MB, are we missing something? :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking about going back to 49_5...IPv6 is not working right, and things seem to be taking longer on the internet with this release. I'm getting the IPv6 prefix stuff on my router like usual, but my computer keeps losing IPv6 not too long after rebooting. Can't really tell why, nothing in the log that seems to relate to that.

I'll try it without IPv6 first, and see if that speeds things up, then maybe reflash and reset again. And hope for the best.

Could be I'll just catch it again when it's no longer Beta.

The WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor thing looks cool, though *smile*.

Update: does seem much faster loading pages on the internet with IPv6 disabled. So I'll try reflashing and reset again. And see how that looks.

Update 2: Re-flashed and reset to defaults again...same result, bad IPv6. Back to 49_5.

Last edited:
Well this firmware is giving me trouble on my rt-ac68 with my hard drive again, makes no sense since the stock 378 works fine.

is giving me the following error on the hdd status

Code:
Failed to calloc 122094000 bytes: Cannot allocate memory
Checking cluster allocation ...
ERROR(12): Failed to setup allocation bitmap: Cannot allocate memory
Syncing device ...
Rolled back to stock 378 and all is fine.

I wonder if you enable the custom save location in Merlins firmware for Traffic Data if it will save the data compiled by the traffic analyzer.

No, that settings is specifically used by cstats and rstats.

I think Asus will eventually store their database in the jffs partition, but that's just a guess.

Will the Trend Micro DPI make eg. QoS more effective?

Adaptive QoS is really nice. In addition to being compatible with NAT acceleration, it automatically detects and classifies most types of traffic. Then, you can use plain drag and drop to reorganize either categories, or specific devices.

Given that I am literally in the middle of setting up my new RT-AC66U (to replace a Sky SR102) is it worth upgrading to .50b from .49_5 and just doing everything once?

(I guess the real question is, will the beta be stable enough for general use?)

Give it a few days, you'll see what issue comes up.

For me, I've been running alpha (and now beta) code on my main router for the past few weeks.

Have you heard anything from Asus about getting the GPL for the Quantenna driver for the rt-ac87u, or are you still having to use an an older one?

I'm using the latest code as used by Asus in 378_3913 (so, it's even slightly newer than what's used in 378_3885).

I don't need the GPL code from Quantenna as I don't rebuild the Quantenna FW.

No, just flash this version directly.

The newer CFE will work fine with older firmwares, there's no need to downgrade it.

what happens if u are on 1.0.2.0 CFE and upgrade to the beta firmware (what version CFE will it end up with..v1.x or v2.x)?? what exact CFE version would it end up with comming from 1.0.2.0?

The 2.x CFE is only for the T-Mobile TM-AC1900.

Status
Not open for further replies.