What's new

Communicating Amongst Subnets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oceano

New Around Here
I have 2 separate small networks in my home that I just joined up via cable (ATT Uverse router providing wifi on 192.168.1.x, and Asus n56u providing gigabit Ethernet on 192.168.2.x)

Can I keep these on separate networks, sharing ISP service, and somehow access shared folders and drives amongst the subnets?

I think it might be possible. However, if you want to share your folders and internet between both subnets then surely that defeats to purpose of having separate subnets? Why not just create one single network and save yourself a lot of trouble?

Last edited:
Well my purpose behind this is that I'm setting up an experimental lab on one subnet to learn running a server, so I don't have to worry about screwing up my household network in the process. But it would still be nice to be able to access the shares.

Well good luck with that!

Before you start work on the shares I suggest that you check that you can ping the PC's in 192.168.2.x from the PC's in 192.168.1.x and vice versa. If you can't you might have to setup a static route on the Uverse router. (You'll probably need to turn off the ASUS's firewall as well)

I've never tried this, but in theory you would need to set up a WINS server (there can only be one). The ASUS can be configured a WINS server.

Then change the DHCP server on each network to issue the IP address of the WINS server. If some clients don't use DHCP you'll have to set them manually.

The sticking point might be your Uverse router if it doesn't give you much control over DHCP.

Reboot everything and wait at least 10 minutes for everything the resync.

If that doesn't work then I suggest you read the Samba how-to's online.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!