What's new

Configure DNSMASQ to Use a LAN Gateway for Upstream Looks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom VanHook

New Around Here
I have a network in my RV that has both a) local servers, and b) a Raspberry Pi functioning as a gateway to the internet (uses Wi-Fi to a 3G modem). So nothing's connected to the router's WAN port.

I'm like to use OpenDNS as the upstream DNS servers and the router's DNSMASQ as both the network's DHCP server and a caching DNS server.

I can't seem to get it to work because I can't seem to get DNSMASQ to look upstream correctly.

On the "WAN" page, I set "No" for "Enable WAN", "Enable NAT", and "Connect to DNS Server Automatically". I set "DNS Server1" and "DNS Server2" to "208.67.222.222" and "208.67.220.220".

On the "LAN"/"DHCP Server" page, the "Default Gateway" has the Pi's address. "DNS Server 1" and "DNS Server 2" are blank (because I want clients to use the router--and not go directly to OpenDNS). "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS" is "No", and "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" is "Yes".

Doesn't work at all.

I tried adding "nameserver 208.67.222.222" and "nameserver 208.67.220.220" commands in jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add. No luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!