What's new

Configuring an AC68U as an AIMesh Node for an AX89X - Help Required

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spotlizard

New Around Here
Hi,
I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out why my new 89X won't see my 68U when it's set as an AIMesh Node?

I must be doing something wrong, so here's a summary of things:

Both devices have current firmware
The 89X is my primary router and is part of my home network. The network uses 2 Windows 2016 Servers running Active Directory, DNS and Wins
All devices within the network can see one another and hit the internet with no issues.
The 89X is running DHCP and I have a static reservation for the 68U

What I've attempted

Connected the 68U to my laptop (with an Ethernet cable), in the same room as the 89X
Performed a factory reset of the 68U and selected the option to have it run as an AIMesh node
Leaving the 68U connected to the laptop I used the WiFi on my laptop to connect to the 89X
Click the AIMesh node button on the Network Map (I've also gone into AIMesh settings and clicked "Add AIMesh Node) and searched for AIMesh Nodes
All I see is the spinning blue circle to indicate that it's searching. Eventually this times out without finding anything.

The instructions that the router gives are a little different than those in the ASUS documentation but I've tried both ways and the end result is that it fails to see the node.

Can anyone see any steps I'm missing here? Is there some additional steps or ways I should be connecting?

My sincere thanks in advance for any assistance folks can give

Hi,
I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out why my new 89X won't see my 68U when it's set as an AIMesh Node?

I must be doing something wrong, so here's a summary of things:

Both devices have current firmware
The 89X is my primary router and is part of my home network. The network uses 2 Windows 2016 Servers running Active Directory, DNS and Wins
All devices within the network can see one another and hit the internet with no issues.
The 89X is running DHCP and I have a static reservation for the 68U

What I've attempted

Connected the 68U to my laptop (with an Ethernet cable), in the same room as the 89X
Performed a factory reset of the 68U and selected the option to have it run as an AIMesh node
Leaving the 68U connected to the laptop I used the WiFi on my laptop to connect to the 89X
Click the AIMesh node button on the Network Map (I've also gone into AIMesh settings and clicked "Add AIMesh Node) and searched for AIMesh Nodes
All I see is the spinning blue circle to indicate that it's searching. Eventually this times out without finding anything.

The instructions that the router gives are a little different than those in the ASUS documentation but I've tried both ways and the end result is that it fails to see the node.

Can anyone see any steps I'm missing here? Is there some additional steps or ways I should be connecting?

My sincere thanks in advance for any assistance folks can give

Given the AX89X is the AiMesh router and was properly reset and configured from scratch, reset the AC68U to its factory defaults and add it as an AiMesh node from within the AX89U webUI (requires WPS enabled on the AX89U... the add function should enable WPS automatically, so check this if the add fails). Do not configure the node directly... adding it as a node will configure it for you, if all is working correctly.

And connect the PC client to the LAN or a WLAN, but don't connect it to both. If LAN, then turn off its WiFi.

If you are unsure of everything else on the network, disconnect everything until you have your network commissioned.

OE

Last edited:
Given the AX89X is the AiMesh router and was properly reset and configured from scratch, reset the AC68U to its factory defaults and add it as an AiMesh node from within the AX89U webUI (requires WPS enabled on the AX89U... the add function should enable WPS automatically, so check this if the add fails). Do not configure the node directly... adding it as a node will configure it for you, if all is working correctly.

And connect the PC client to the LAN or a WLAN, but don't connect it to both. If LAN, then turn off its WiFi.

If you are unsure of everything else on the network, disconnect everything until you have your network commissioned.

OE
Thank you SO much for the prompt reply. It is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, I still get the same result (nothing found).

I reset the 68U by powering on with the WPS button held down and only releasing it when the power light was blinking.

I positioned the 68U about 5ft from the 89X, which should be plenty for a WiFi connection between the two

I went to the 89X via WiFi on my laptop and went to the AIMesh tab, then clicked the Add AIMesh button. Scanning started but ended with nothing detected.

Is there anything I should try differently?

Regards

Thank you SO much for the prompt reply. It is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, I still get the same result (nothing found).

I reset the 68U by powering on with the WPS button held down and only releasing it when the power light was blinking.

I positioned the 68U about 5ft from the 89X, which should be plenty for a WiFi connection between the two

I went to the 89X via WiFi on my laptop and went to the AIMesh tab, then clicked the Add AIMesh button. Scanning started but ended with nothing detected.

Is there anything I should try differently?

Regards

Some reset references... confirm you are doing it correctly for your model:

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

Is WPS enabled on the AX89U?

Did you reset the the AX89U before configuring it?

Perhaps the issue is firmware.

OE

Some reset references... confirm you are doing it correctly for your model:

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

Is WPS enabled on the AX89U?

Did you reset the the AX89U before configuring it?

Perhaps the issue is firmware.

OE
Hi and thanks again for the super fast response :)

I was using the WPS Hard Reset Option from your list and everything worked in the way the article described.

WPS was NOT enabled on the router

I did not reset the 89X, as the settings say that it's default configuration is that of an AIMesh router. The only settings I have changed on this device are the WiFi networks (creating new 2.4 and 5GHz networks), enabling DHCP and creating scope and adding internal network settings for WINS and DNS where appropriate.

I did try enabling WPS but this also resulted in failure to locate the node.

Hope this helps.

Sincere thanks

Hi and thanks again for the super fast response :)

I was using the WPS Hard Reset Option from your list and everything worked in the way the article described.

WPS was NOT enabled on the router

I did not reset the 89X, as the settings say that it's default configuration is that of an AIMesh router. The only settings I have changed on this device are the WiFi networks (creating new 2.4 and 5GHz networks), enabling DHCP and creating scope and adding internal network settings for WINS and DNS where appropriate.

I did try enabling WPS but this also resulted in failure to locate the node.

Hope this helps.

Sincere thanks

I don't know what the issue is. Me, I'd commission the router first... install current firmware, reset it, and then configure it minimally from scratch. Then enable WPS and add the node.

Could also try using a wired backhaul while adding the node, but that should not be required.

OE

I don't know what the issue is. Me, I'd commission the router first... install current firmware, reset it, and then configure it minimally from scratch. Then enable WPS and add the node.

Could also try using a wired backhaul while adding the node, but that should not be required.

OE
Thanks so much for following up and my apologies for not having replied sooner.

After fighting with this thing fo a couple of days, without success, I decided to just set it up as a wired access point. Shame, but there are some hills I just don't want to die on and this was one of them :)

Really appreciate all your thoughtful replies.

I am having same problem with my TUF-AX3000 and AC86U and an AC88U.

The AC88U does work as a node but keeps going off line while the AC86U just wont join as a node.

My impression is that the AX routers don't play nice with older AC series routers.