What's new

Confused on how to best utilize new dual-band N router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aero Man

New Around Here
OK, been reading but haven't yet grasped how to optimize use of dual band N router. See existing home network in my sig below.

Black Friday pricing last week allowed me buy one new ASUS RT56U and one new Netgear WNDR3700_v3. Goal is to convert to gigabit wired throughout house and faster throughput for wireless. Hope you can help to answer my three questions:
Q1 - If I replace existing Actiontec router (I will contact Frontier to switch over MoCA to Ethernet) and Cisco access point with new ASUS and Netgear, based on overall capability for my network, which one should be the garage router w/wireless disabled (ASUS/Netgear?) and the central access point (Netgear/ASUS?).

Q2 - Im struggling with best config for new dual-band access poiint based on my network. Recommendations? If I missed the answer in a tutorial, plz direct me to tutorial and I'll gladly re-read.

Q3 - I like Tim Higgins suggestion to retain G a/p (Cisco) to cnx G clients exclusively and use N a/p to cnx N clients for best overall performance. I'm assuming that I'd cnx G a/p to router LAN port and N a/p to 1 gig switch; is that best practice for my network config?

BTW- I can return the Netgear (still boxed) if it is ultimately not needed for preferred network config. Thx!

~ Aero