What's new

Connection AC-68U with Orbi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Littlelight

Occasional Visitor
Due to moving our house, we had to install Orbi Router and Satellite (RBR50 and RBS50) replacing existing single router RT-AC68U. Asus was running latest Merlin build with adblock so was brilliant.

Is it possible to connect AC68U with Orbi somehow so when I am connected to net via AC68U router, I dont get any ads etc?

Thanks

Due to moving our house, we had to install Orbi Router and Satellite (RBR50 and RBS50) replacing existing single router RT-AC68U. Asus was running latest Merlin build with adblock so was brilliant.

Is it possible to connect AC68U with Orbi somehow so when I am connected to net via AC68U router, I dont get any ads etc?

Thanks
To use the AC68U's ad-blocking it needs to be in router mode. As such you would need to connect its WAN port to the Orbi by Ethernet cable. The AC68U would then be running its own network separate from your main Orbi network.

Why not turn off the WiFi on the Asus and still use it as the main router, then set up the first Orbi as just an AP that connects to the Asus for internet access? I'm not quite sure if this is possible with the first Orbi though.

Couldn't you put it first inline, and turn off the DHCP, essentially using the adblocking before it gets to the orbi?

I have been running this exact configuration for a few years and it works fine. The RBR50 is set to AP mode and connects to the 68U's LAN port, so both devices are on the same network. The 68U's radios are turned off. My 2 RBS50s use wired backhaul.

I do this because I found the 68U to be a better router than the RBR50, especially with Merlin firmware.

To use the AC68U's ad-blocking it needs to be in router mode. As such you would need to connect its WAN port to the Orbi by Ethernet cable. The AC68U would then be running its own network separate from your main Orbi network.
Thanks for suggestion but WAN port is already connected to the main modem so unfortunately this doesnt work for me.

I have been running this exact configuration for a few years and it works fine. The RBR50 is set to AP mode and connects to the 68U's LAN port, so both devices are on the same network. The 68U's radios are turned off. My 2 RBS50s use wired backhaul.

I do this because I found the 68U to be a better router than the RBR50, especially with Merlin firmware.
Thanks, @TheLostSwede, @BreakingDad for the suggestions. I believe this is similar to the @RocketJSquirrel setup so I'll explore this today.

No, I meant connect the Asus' WAN port to one of the Orbi's LAN ports.
The chain is Modem -> Asus -> Orbi. So the Asus WAN port connects to the modem. In this setup, the Asus acts as the wired router and the Orbi is the wireless access point.

The chain is Modem -> Asus -> Orbi. So the Asus WAN port connects to the modem. In this setup, the Asus acts as the wired router and the Orbi is the wireless access point.
I was replying to the OP's response to my original posts (see post #6). That conversation is different than the one you were having with the OP.

It's a thread on a forum, so IMHO, it's one conversation. I was trying to politely refute your response in post #2.
Yes, the AC68U is in router mode, but that in no way suggests it should connect to the Orbi via WAN port. Just the opposite. Asus WAN port goes to modem, LAN port goes to Orbi and then both Asus and Orbi are on the same network. I actually run this configuration (see my sig) and it works.

It's a thread on a forum, so IMHO, it's one conversation. I was trying to politely refute your response in post #2.
I answered the OP with one possible solution (one where he doesn't need to make any changes to his current Orbi setup). @TheLostSwede replied with a different solution. I didn't mean to imply that my solution was the only one possible.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!