What's new

"Connection reset" errors while browsing on all devices (RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kavanaughty

New Around Here
Hi folks! I've been an Asuswrt-Merlin user and an occasional SNBForums lurker for a couple of years now. I've run into a problem that has pushed me to create an account and seek input from the experienced and knowledgeable users here.

As far as I remember the problem started after updating to 384.14_2 on my RT-AC68U. I should note that the RT-AC68U is connected to a cable modem/router provided by my ISP (an ARRIS DG3270 set to bridge mode). It's also probably worth mentioning that at some point after updating to either 384.14_0 or 384.13_0, the signature version always failed to update and the router was unable to check for firmware updates. This particular problem was solved by a factory default restore and downgrade to 384.13_0.

Regarding the problem itself and as the title suggests, I keep receiving "connection reset" errors, such as ERR_CONNECTION_RESET with Chrome, while trying to load websites. It appears to me that these errors occur more frequently on certain sites (SNBForums is one of them coincidentally) and don't occur at all on others. It occurs with all browsers across all devices in the network. Its intermittent nature makes it slightly difficult to replicate the problem but I can accomplish it eventually by simply browsing different sites for a minute or so until it pops up. Refreshing the page usually solves it but sometimes upwards of three or four refreshes are required. In addition to this, every now and then a page will only load partially (meaning it fails to load many graphic elements such as banners or fonts). I've also had problems with a few mobile applications which require a connection but I'm not sure they're related.

As previously mentioned, I've already tried factory default restores and firmware downgrades/updates while also following L&LD's M&M Config to no avail. While scouring the forums in search of solutions I found a couple of users who had success in fixing a similar issue by disabling "WAN down browser redirect notice" but this hasn't made any noticeable impact. There doesn't appear to be anything noteworthy showing up in the system log either. I've gone through all the settings on the ARRIS modem/router and nothing looks suspicious (in accordance with my fairly limited understanding of networking).

I've come across quite a few other potential solutions from using another DNS server to ditching the ASUS router entirely and simply using the ARRIS, but before I start going further down the rabbit hole I figured it'd be best to seek advice from others first.

Any and all input is appreciated!

What version are you currently running? I ran into a similar issue on my AC86U with 384.14_2 so I downgraded to 384.13 (+factory reset and manual reconfiguration) and so far so good.

What version are you currently running? I ran into a similar issue on my AC86U with 384.14_2 so I downgraded to 384.13 (+factory reset and manual reconfiguration) and so far so good.

Currently running 384.13 as well! Perhaps trying an even older version could solve it, though I'd like to explore other options that might narrow down what's causing the problem first.

I used to have the same issue with my android tablets running chrome. A daily annoyance. Wish I could say what I changed, but haven't had the issue in many months, almost forgot how annoying it was until I read your post.

I'd be guessing, but I think I made some DNS changes. If you are running anything DNS related (diversion, Pi-Hole,etc), as an experiment, disable it all and try a simple configuration with either your ISP DNS servers or Google DNS servers. See if that resolves it.

I’m assuming you still get the issue with a M&M config; ie no scripts etc? Not running dual wan by any chance are you? Using DOT? Tried using a different DNS?

Just some troubleshooting thoughts off the top of my head.

I’m assuming you still get the issue with a M&M config; ie no scripts etc? Not running dual wan by any chance are you? Using DOT? Tried using a different DNS?

Just some troubleshooting thoughts off the top of my head.

Unfortunately that's the case. No scripts, no dual WAN, no DoT.

Tried a few different DNS servers over the weekend, including Google, Cloudflare and OpenDNS. While they appeared to be producing less "connection reset" errors overall while browsing, they also blocked access to certain sites (such as Reddit) entirely, so I'm back to my ISP's DNS.

EDIT: The problem just seems to be getting worse. Many sites are now completely inaccessible from any device/browser. It seems the only sites that load normally are the more popular ones (Google, YouTube, Facebook, Amazon, eBay and so on).

Last edited:
Do you have a content blocker on your browser? Say adguard?

I usually use uBlock Origin but I made sure to disable it soon after the problem started.

I downgraded to 380.70 with M&M configuration as usual last night and I haven't been experiencing any issues since. Supposing it stays this way I may just stick with the older firmware.

I usually use uBlock Origin but I made sure to disable it soon after the problem started.

I downgraded to 380.70 with M&M configuration as usual last night and I haven't been experiencing any issues since. Supposing it stays this way I may just stick with the older firmware.

I'm having the same issues with latest firm in a XT8. But my problem is akways in Google -related pages (Gmail, Google, Keep, pages that load google fonts, doubleclick...). Most of google services end with a "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET". Any new ideas?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!