What's new

Considering Buying AX Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do It Yourself

New Around Here
Hi, currently using this router Arcadyan LH1000 via 5ghz wifi, but have noticed sluggish performance when opening/loading webpages, not as quick when buffering videos. Also the 2.5ghz wifi band doesn’t work compared to my old router Netgear C6300BD where it performed so much better.

Besides that I am looking into buying an Asus AX router. If anyone can recommend me some. Also people have said gaming routers are a gimmick so not sure which to get, a normal router vs gaming router.

Here are some common things I want in a router:

- Price range $200-$370 (Australian Dollar)
- Wifi 6 (backward compatibility)
- Strong and stable wifi signal
- Fast CPU/Ram
- Loads/open webpages quick and snappy
- Pre-buffer/buffers videos quick
- Has QoS and many good useful options
- Many VPN support (need my work vpn (GlobalProtect) to be able to work)
- Good security (I game online a lot)
- Continuous support of Merlin Firmware
- USB for NAS, printer and storage back up etc
- Specs and performance must be better than previous routers I was using listed above

Last edited:
Look no further than the RT-AX86U. It retails about $400 aud, worth the extra though. Here at SNB it seems to be the router of choice. I can recommend.

Hi, currently using this router Arcadyan LH1000 via 5ghz wifi, but have noticed sluggish performance when opening/loading webpages, not as quick when buffering videos. Also the 2.5ghz wifi band doesn’t work compared to my old router Netgear C6300BD where it performed so much better.

Besides that I am looking into buying an Asus AX router. If anyone can recommend me some. Also people have said gaming routers are a gimmick so not sure which to get, a normal router vs gaming router.

- Fast CPU/Ram
- Specs and performance must be better than previous routers I was using listed above
"Gaming routers" are indeed a gimmick - you're the one who is gamed out of your money. Nothing can make the gaming experience better/faster other than a better/faster connection to a server nearer to you, but the scripts for Merlin you can choose from to tweak up your connection a tad will help to an extent, and as the AX86 is the "latest and greatest" from asus as far as routers go, Merlin will support it as long as, or perhaps longer than, Asus themselves will. (For Security, check out WireGuard - I'm not familiar with the VPN you listed)

- Fast CPU/Ram

- Loads/open webpages quick and snappy: change your ISP
- Pre-buffer/buffers videos quick: change your ISP
- Good security (I game online a lot): It doesn't exist for consumer router. You should buy a dedicated Hardware Firewall.

Conclusion.

Your requirement is an Enterprise Class Router, AP, Firewall. Go and buy them.