What's new

Controlling the HDHomeRun from a RT-AC1900P?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

What I plan to do is install this one Perl script and the libraries and dependencies needed to have the router communicate with the HDHR tuner and have it scan and upload the data.
I've asked SiliconDust support and they confirmed that their libraries will run on the ARMv7 CPU.

These steps are for Raspbian and the Raspberry Pi but it should be similar to what ever since Raspbian is Ubuntu based (I think). Any idea how I could do this with Merlin? I suppose I would have to set up a swap file and use a USB stick for external storage.

Just ignore steps 1 and 2....
  1. Install a clean Raspbian OS on the Raspberry Pi.
  2. Update Raspbian OS.
  3. If rebooted enter:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
  4. sudo cpan JSON
  5. sudo cpan LWP
  6. Create the "tvdx" directory under /home/pi
  7. Create the "bin" and "etc" directories in the "tvdx" directory and place the Bandscan software in the correct directories.
  8. Download the Linux Silicon Dust HDHomerun GTK fireware for the model you have from:
    https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/
    libhdhomerun (source)
    HDHomeRun Config GTK (source)
  9. Follow the instructions for HDHomeRun Config GTK instructions on the download page.
  10. Edit the bin/scan_tuner.pl file with your site information. Make sure you know where the hdhomerun_config file is located on your system. It could be in /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin. Point the my $CONFIG_PROGRAM line in the scan_tuner.pl file to the correct location.
  11. From the tvdx/bin directory enter ./scan_tuner.pl and see if there are any error messages. If so, correct and rerun. If no error messages come up, the spots are being sent to the main server and should begin to show up on the main map shortly.

Source: https://www.rabbitears.info/static.php?name=join_live_bandscan

What I plan to do is install this one Perl script and the libraries and dependencies needed to have the router communicate with the HDHR tuner and have it scan and upload the data.
I've asked SiliconDust support and they confirmed that their libraries will run on the ARMv7 CPU.

These steps are for Raspbian and the Raspberry Pi but it should be similar to what ever since Raspbian is Ubuntu based (I think). Any idea how I could do this with Merlin? I suppose I would have to set up a swap file and use a USB stick for external storage.

Just ignore steps 1 and 2....
  1. Install a clean Raspbian OS on the Raspberry Pi.
  2. Update Raspbian OS.
  3. If rebooted enter:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
  4. sudo cpan JSON
  5. sudo cpan LWP
  6. Create the "tvdx" directory under /home/pi
  7. Create the "bin" and "etc" directories in the "tvdx" directory and place the Bandscan software in the correct directories.
  8. Download the Linux Silicon Dust HDHomerun GTK fireware for the model you have from:
    https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/
    libhdhomerun (source)
    HDHomeRun Config GTK (source)
  9. Follow the instructions for HDHomeRun Config GTK instructions on the download page.
  10. Edit the bin/scan_tuner.pl file with your site information. Make sure you know where the hdhomerun_config file is located on your system. It could be in /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin. Point the my $CONFIG_PROGRAM line in the scan_tuner.pl file to the correct location.
  11. From the tvdx/bin directory enter ./scan_tuner.pl and see if there are any error messages. If so, correct and rerun. If no error messages come up, the spots are being sent to the main server and should begin to show up on the main map shortly.

Source: https://www.rabbitears.info/static.php?name=join_live_bandscan

The word Raspbian, in my mind, has always been a hybrid of Raspberry and Debian...but for all I know it could be about Raspberries that like other raspberries.
anyway, I clicked your source link, the rabbitears one. Right near the top is a disclaimer and link - you should email the author to see what they have to say about your plan.
If I understand what bandscan is all about, I appreciate the sharing of info to a user group, but I'd also be concerned with accidentally and/or inadvertently revealing personal data to the world.

I wonder, is there a virtual machine of Merlin? That way I can test it out before putting it in the router.

I wonder, is there a virtual machine of Merlin? That way I can test it out before putting it in the router.
No, I'm not aware of anybody ever mentioning there being a VM of Merlin.

TBH I very much doubt this would work. Raspbian and Ubuntu are nothing like Asuswrt, the libraries are completely different. The requirement for libgtk2.0-dev would also appear to be a show stopper as there is no GTK+ support of any kind (even in the Entware repository). The only way I can think of that might work is if you installed Debian on the router and then used its packages.

Probably a much better (and easier) solution would be to run it on a Raspberry Pi.

Last edited: