What's new

Converting router to switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aeroman

New Around Here
When I got VZ FIOS with their 4-port Actiontec router, I no longer needed my home network router. Will my older Linky 10/100 BEFSR81 (with latest firmware) 8-port wired router now become a decent home network switch to expand the Actiontec router to more ports (by disabling the Linky's DHCP)? My networked devices are all 100 Mbs (no gig devices).

Or, is there a better solution (ie newer router/switch) to get the best speed out of my wired LAN?

Ensure the Linksys LAN IP is not the same as your Actiontec..the Linksys default LAN IP is 192.168.1.1, I forget what the Actiontec is. If it's also 192.168.1.1, change the Linksys LAN IP to something like 192.168.1.245. Write it down so you don't forget. Next..connect to the Linksys at that new IP..and disable DHCP service on it. Apply.
Now...uplink your Linksys 81 to the Actiontec using a LAN port of each. Depending on the vintage of the 81..might want to use the "uplink" port on it..on the older models the 10/100 LAN ports weren't auto MDI-X. If you use an uplink port, usually the port right next to it is not usable..since they're often a shared port.
Now it's basically just an 8 port switch. :)

Thanks YeOldeStoncat:

I've done that now and have a capable 8-port switch to add to the 4-port actiontec. Great suggestion to put the switch on a static address of .254. Now my 3 DVRs, access point, WHS, and two workstations are all back on my home LAN.

Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!