What's new

Cooling Asus ZenWiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frankhere

Regular Contributor
Folks,
I am thinking through the best way to cool off my router. I keep it in the garage with some other gear.
I do this to avoid the clutter, wiring, bla-bla-bla. Since I live in San Diego the temps in the garage are reasonable for 8 months out of the year . For 4 months the temps may be bit more elevated , hence the cooling. Today I use a simple small 5 inch fan and have it blow across the router . Yet I am looking for something a little more elegant.

So , my question is this. Is there a unit that anyone is using that would plug into the USB port of the router and can be managed through the Asus Mgmt App?
Here is one for a laptop and the fan blows upward. I'd set the router on top of the unit below , along with the cable modem.
Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan

I will assume the Asus Router USB port will power the unit.

Any thoughts ?
upload_2020-2-24_17-55-27.png

The ZenWifi runs fairly normal in terms of temps. The AX92u, however, very hot.

I don't think ASUS intends for their routers to be outside, and a garage in that climate would probably get very warm inside unless you AC your garage. I don't recommend it.

I use a similar Laptop cooler for my R7800 which is powered by the USB port. I turn it on only during the summer. For the rest it stays off as it will add dust into the router. I haven't heard/seen a cooler that can be managed by <insert some router app here>

I use a similar Laptop cooler for my R7800 which is powered by the USB port. I turn it on only during the summer. For the rest it stays off as it will add dust into the router. I haven't heard/seen a cooler that can be managed by <insert some router app here>
Yes, that is what I do too ... just when its hot.
So, I will try the unit. I went with a 3 fan setup. I will add any comments once I get it up and running. Unfortunately I can't run of the silly blue lights!

upload_2020-2-26_14-49-13.png

So , my question is this. Is there a unit that anyone is using that would plug into the USB port of the router and can be managed through the Asus Mgmt App?
Here is one for a laptop and the fan blows upward. I'd set the router on top of the unit below , along with the cable modem.
Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan

I will assume the Asus Router USB port will power the unit.

Any thoughts ?
View attachment 21601

I've used this exact same cooler for the last 2 wireless routers I've had. Works great, temperatures drop significantly and yes the USB port on the router powers the cooler. I highly recommend this cooler for a router that has air vents on the bottom. As for the ASUS Management I have no clue. I have mine plugged in and it's running all the time.

I use a fan that looks like below. The fan is powered 24/7 by a separate USB adapter.
ZgjKSJ+

The fan provides cooling as long as the air temperature is below 40 ℃, or 104℉. This could be seen in the graph below, where I measure the CPU temperature continuously for couple days in the summer, of two units of XT8, one without the fan show in the photo above, and one with.
WkSJlw+

(The unit for vertical axis is degree celsius)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!