What's new

Could someone with experience help me set BT Smart Hub access control?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyberbid

New Around Here
Hi folks. Ive had a long couple of weeks. In short, im with BT and I could not get access control to work on the so called Smart Hub.
I went through 3 of those and to no avail. Tried everything from firmware, resets, settings, ipv6 etc etc. So I have now bought the excellent Asus RT-N66U Router. I am really pleased with it so far. It has firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_7743-g2cf84e9.
The problem I'm having is the parental controls don't appear to terminate a connection already connected when the restriction kicks in. Why is this? Could anyone with experience on this issue please help me resolve it? Im trying to block a PS4 and an iphone. Hardware acceleration is disabled.

This is (was?) a known issue and has been discussed a few times in these forums. AFAIK (because I don't use parental controls myself) RMerlin fixed it in his third party firmware. John's forked firmware has fixed it also.

Also be aware that for the next couple of weeks it's possible that the routers clock will be 1 hour out because of the upcoming change from BST to GMT. To correct it, setup your router as shown here (week 5 actually means "last week").

Last edited:
This is (was?) a known issue and has been discussed a few times in these forums. AFAIK (because I don't use parental controls myself) RMerlin fixed it in his third party firmware. John's forked firmware has fixed it also.

Also be aware that for the next couple of weeks it's possible that the routers clock will be 1 hour out because of the upcoming change from BST to GMT. To correct it, setup your router as shown here (week 5 actually means "last week").
Thanks, I will make note. I also tried a reboot from the internal menu this evening and this initially looks very promising. So far it has kicked me off mid game on my console as a test. It also worked on time on my sons iphone today, without having to log in and check

Well this has not lasted long sadly! My son has figured out that if he turns his PS4 off and back on within the restricted time he can get online just fine! So, how do I tackle this?

Simply explain if you see his online use after specified time you will take away the device. Log all traffic and follow through to prove you mean it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What are you trying to block exactly? His PS4 from getting online at all? From connecting to PSN for multiplayer games? From using its browser? Also, how does the PS4 connect? Wireless or ethernet? If wireless, then one option would be to change the password for the wifi and then enable a guest wifi network(SSID) and give them the password to that and just tell them it's the new password for "their" network. Maybe even call it PS4 Wifi. Then when you don't want them on, disable the guest network. That way your personal wifi connection can go undisturbed. This won't stop them from using the PS4 to play offline games or downloaded games or movies and so on. I agree the best method may be to monitor their access, and when you see improper access, confront them. If it continues to be a problem, reset the password on their PSN account and tell them if they don't shape up soon, you will delete it. Nothing scares a gamer like possibly losing all their hard ground loot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!