What's new

CPU advice.........

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

houghton19

Regular Contributor
Hi Internet people...... hope this is ok here as I'm not on many forums these days compared to the past. So in 2016 me and a friend built me a pc, now it gets used less and less as time goes by and i hate the fact I'm not using it as much as I once did. With streaming becoming easier and content not really needing to be stored as much it sits there idling, however I don't want to get rid. I've had the same windows install since 2016 and thinking about giving her a little bit of TLC and a upgrade....... but on a budget.

So I have a Asus Maximus VIII motherboard and currently have a i7 6400, I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of new MOBO ect as i may as well buy a new PC........ So ive read the best LGA1151 is the i9 9900K. just wondering how i would find out if its compatible with my mobo and if i would actually see any difference in performance and if its worth the cost of approx. £250 to upgrade.

so upgrade plans that i would probably wait to do together would be

CPU.
M2.drive if i can afford a bigger one (Im on a 7 year old 128gb as were expensive back then)
new coolers maybe with RGB
Win 11

Edit....... also looking at a cheap 10gbps NIC as I have a Asus 16000AXE so I can utilize the faster ports.

I understand that "is it worth it" is very subjective down to the user, the users usages and each individuals finances ect.
thanks

ok, ive fount the answer on reddit......No, 9th gen CPU's only work on 300-series chipsets. Z170 only supports 6th and 7th gen, despite them all being the same socket.

sorry to waste anyones time. guess this can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!