What's new

CPU and RAM on a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cupofschmoe

New Around Here
I am shopping around for a NAS to use for streaming movies and music.

I am having a hard time grasping the benefits of CPU cores and speeds and RAM for NASes. Can someone give me a breakdown and scenarios of when having more is good so that I'm not wasting resources if they are not being used most of the time.

CPU power is more important than RAM size unless the NAS is being used to read a lot of small files AND the NAS OS takes advantage of the RAM for caching.

Multi-cores can also help with real-time transcoding. But, again, that is up to the OS. You need to read the product spec.

Keep in mind most all today's NASes, even the entry-level two-bay models can saturate a Gigabit Ethernet link when doing large file transfers (hi-res images, video). Aggregating multiple Ethernet ports doesn't help increase transfer speed for single machines.

So unless you have multiple systems and a switch that supports link aggregation, spending more for more powerful CPUs and RAM capacity is a waste of money.