What's new

Create SWAP file on ASUSWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raduzl74

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I need a tutorial for creating a SWAP file (I am a beginner so as detailed as possible will be highly appreciated).

Thanks!
Radu

The old way isn't recommended any more. Particularly with amtm compatible scripts.

I need a tutorial for creating a SWAP file (I am a beginner so as detailed as possible will be highly appreciated).
I'm more inclined to ask what router (and firmware) you have and why do you feel you need a swap file.

If you are having a specific issue, maybe you could describe it. A swap file may or may not be an appropriate"fix".

I just SSH in and use the amtm swap creation option.

The only thing that puzzles me is why amtm won't let me make a swap file bigger than 2gb.

I just SSH in and use the amtm swap creation option.

The only thing that puzzles me is why amtm won't let me make a swap file bigger than 2gb.
Rule of thumb for Linux swap is equal to RAM size. Am sure the AX88U does not have 2 GB RAM. Even with the amtm apps you will not need 2 gb. Am sure others will, disagree with this....

Rule of thumb for Linux swap is equal to RAM size. Am sure the AX88U does not have 2 GB RAM. Even with the amtm apps you will not need 2 gb. Am sure others will, disagree with this....
Well it set it anyway since it was "recommend" by the installer, thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

2GB of swap is required to prevent the "Cannot fork" errors on HND devices. Any amount lower will cause this to happen when using custom scripts that spawn lots of processes.

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC87U, the issue being that sometimes in the morning the router needs a push to start (turning on a laptop solves it but no mobile phone manages to get traffic...)
I am on Merlin 383.13_10