What's new

Create Proxy to VPN Connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I'm looking to setup a Privoxy proxy or something similar (accessible via LAN only) that sends traffic over a VPN connection (established via the built in VPN client preferably). Anyone know of any documented attempts similar to this that could help me get started?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You've over 180 views for this thread. If anyone had anything to offer, I would think they would have by now.

It may help to mention the hardware model, firmware, and other pertinent details though to get some response.

No replies perhaps because it sounds like SSL and user authentication nightmare. Trouble over trouble.

You've over 180 views for this thread. If anyone had anything to offer, I would think they would have by now.

It may help to mention the hardware model, firmware, and other pertinent details though to get some response.
I'm hoping to do this on a RT-AX86U running 388.4 firmware. Not sure what other details would be pertinent though.

No replies perhaps because it sounds like SSL and user authentication nightmare. Trouble over trouble.
I'm trying to selectively send BitTorrent traffic (and only BitTorrent traffic) over a VPN connection by using a proxy server so no SSL or authentication will be involved. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible to route a single port from an IP address over VPN so that's why I'm looking into a proxy based solution.

I'm trying to selectively send BitTorrent traffic (and only BitTorrent traffic) over a VPN
Which bittorrent client is this? With transmission there's an easy option.

I'm trying to selectively send BitTorrent traffic over a VPN connection

Not sure why you are trying to do things in a complicated way. Restrict torrents network wide and use VPN of choice client with selective routing. Not sure if all clients have it, but NordVPN can route specific application only over VPN and it's quite fast on x86 hardware. Tell your people how torrenting works. You solve 2-3 threads of issues/questions all at once. Why run everything on a weak RPi-like hardware router?

I'm trying to selectively send BitTorrent traffic (and only BitTorrent traffic) over a VPN connection by using a proxy server so no SSL or authentication will be involved. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible to route a single port from an IP address over VPN so that's why I'm looking into a proxy based solution.
Or routers ip does not support rules based on ports.
An alternate way is to use the firewall to mark packets using your port with an fwmark and a rule to route marked packets to vpn.

Here is an example for ipset, you need to do the same just skip creating the ipset and formulate your firewall rule differently: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireguard-manual-ipset-configuration.87138/post-869315

This is certainly possible. Use entware to install squid, and then configure some iptables rules.

I'm using a workaround to run only BitTorrent via VPN while other servers on the same machine via public IP. I've created an alias IP which I route via Asus router VPN client and bind this IP in Transmission settings.json

I'm using a workaround to run only BitTorrent via VPN while other servers on the same machine via public IP. I've created an alias IP which I route via Asus router VPN client and bind this IP in Transmission settings.json
Would you mind sharing any steps and/or commands you used to create the alias IP?

This applies to my Debian based setup...I've edited the interfaces
Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
appending the below
Code:
auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
       address 192.168.X.XXX ### I would choose an IP address outside the DHCP pool
       netmask 255.255.255.0
to create an IP of my choice which I've assigned to my torrent client and added new rule in VPN Director (this alias IP won't show up in the drop-down list, it must be entered manually)

Last edited: