What's new

creating a second SSID - possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pvanosta

Occasional Visitor
I have 4 XT8 set up around the house. The router and 2 nodes are connected via ethernet, the 4th XT8 is set up as a node in the garage. Everything is stable (knock on wood).
My question: My Tesla wall charger needs to connect to the Wifi in order to get updates etc. It does not like mesh networks (according to Tesla forums).
Is there a way to set up a second SSID between the router and the wireless node, or even only at the router? I thought about using the Guest network, but wouldn't that propagate throughout the mesh like the primary SSID?

That's exactly the type of thing the guest network is for. But only the first guest network on each band is propagated to the nodes. I don't see why your Tesla would have a problem with this.

thanks for that swift reply. This is where we rapidly approach the limits of my networking knowledge. How do I set up a guest network and ensure it is not propagated to the nodes but only broadcasting from the router (assuming that is what the wallcharger needs)?

thanks for that swift reply. This is where we rapidly approach the limits of my networking knowledge. How do I set up a guest network and ensure it is not propagated to the nodes but only broadcasting from the router (assuming that is what the wallcharger needs)?
Sorry, I'm confused.

Is your Tesla within Wi-Fi range of your main router? Is this what you want the Tesla to connect to? If so, create a guest network using the second or third guest networks. Those won't be propagated to the nodes.

I wasn't clear. The Tesla has no issues connecting to the existing mesh. The Tesla Wall Charger however, does not 'like' mesh networks and hasn't downloaded any firmware updates etc. So the question is: can I create a second SSID on the router only, for the wall charger to connect to, albeit with a weaker signal?

So the question is: can I create a second SSID on the router only, for the wall charger to connect to, albeit with a weaker signal?
Yes, just do what I said in the previous post. Although I fail to see why the charger would have an issue with "mesh networks". Unless possibly Tesla are trying to push unsolicited updates to the charger, which would be a different issue.

Thanks, so I create a guest network with its own SSID. That seems straightforward enough. But how do I stop it from being propagated throughout the mesh? Apologies for the n00b questions. It's just not something I have done before and I don't want to mess up an otherwise well-working home network.

Only the first (leftmost in the web interface) guest network of each band is propagated to the nodes.

Looks like the wall charger got over its dislike of mesh networks all by itself. Firmware auto-updated last night :cool:

Looks like the wall charger got over its dislike of mesh networks all by itself. Firmware auto-updated last night :cool:

The charger has no idea that it is on a mesh network. Musk hasn't figured out how to make the AI self aware (yet).

More likely they just were having issues on their end, not uncommon with Tesla.

Reminds me of when HP support would constantly tell people the problems they were having was because they were plugged into a power strip/surge protector and not into the wall outlet. That's not how it works.

I am aware. I was being flippant. The point is the issue resolved itself and the previously stated 'wall charger doesn't like mesh networks' seems to be overstated at best and more likely simply untrue.

You may try this best solution is by disabling wifi 6 for your 2.4GHz network and use only AC/N and WPA2-Personal encryption

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!