What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.12.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Not planned release, goal is to fix CVE-2020-8597.

Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-0-43sf-hw.60634/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-9sf-hw.60727/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-11sf-hw.61541/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.12.1SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.12SF-HW):

1. PPP vulnerability CVE-2020-8597 is fixed (score of 9.8/10).
2. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.6->1.3.6c.
3. curl package is upgraded 7.68.0->7.69.1.
4. avahi package is upgraded 0.7->0.8.
5. ncurses package is upgraded 6.1->6.2.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Random reboots... I get random reboots every couple of days. Would this version fix that? I am on the previous version.

Random reboots... I get random reboots every couple of days. Would this version fix that? I am on the previous version.

Have not had these myself, but family member did and it was a device on the network causing the issue, never found out why, IE bad packets, collisions, etc, and no, it shouldn't cause the router to shirt itself, but they had the same issue with a prior linksys router, but not with a dlink (go figure), Russian roulette

May not be a FW issue.
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Apologize in advance if this is off topic. It seems that almost every week someone poses a problem about Orbi behavior that cannot be researched because what little is written to the "Orbi Log" is erased when the system reboots and there is not much detail in that log about things like the WAN connection going up/down. The Open Source OpenWRT that Orbi is based on appears to support writing to a syslog host and exercising control over the level of detail written. Has anyone discovered a way to do this with Orbi? The only mention of logs I find in Voxel's "changes" file is updating the version level of the logrotate app. But, /etc/logrotate.conf doesn't seem to match what my Orbi is doing.

Sorry if this sounds confused.

It has been almost 30 years since I last used vi to edit files. Looking through the Release Notes, I do not see mention of an alternative command line text editor. Could you perhaps include a more "modern" text editor, such as nano in a future release? Or, provide instructions on how users could install it for themselves? Sorry if this sounds like whining, but over in the Orbi forum someone came up with a patch to allow the "Attached Devices" screen to sort by IP, which I have wanted for almost two years.

May not be a FW issue.
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Just getting back to this. Should I do a config backup, factory reset and then config restore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not restore from back up config right after. Check to see if setting up form scratch resolves anything first. Unless this is a restore file from same version of FW that you have loaded currently.

Give feedback to the question presented as well.
Just getting back to this. Should I do a config backup, factory reset and then config restore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over in the Netgear Orbi community forum, a member has figured out how to have Orbi's "Attached Devices" sort by IP address, rather than the apparently 'random' order they usually appear in.
It's only 11 lines of code. (Although I confess to not having used "vi" for editing in 20 years and my "relearning curve" was pretty sad.) A request for this has been in the Netgear "suggestions" forum for years. This is not a duplicate of Netgear's regular Nighthawk Attached Devices display where the user can click on a column heading and sort the display on any column. This is fixed to IP (which is what I wanted, so I'm very happy.)

If Netgear ever releases a firmware update, it will be necessary to insert these lines again, or if the new DEV_show_device.htm is line-for-line identical, just copy the "tmp" file over the "htm" file again.

Attachments

• Sort Attached Devices by IP.pdf
    170.3 KB · Views: 358
Maybe something that Voxel could add in his FW?

May not be a FW issue.
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No, going to do that this evening
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? There are only a few other wifi networks that show up but the signal is very low.
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris CM3200A
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. No more than 30 feet between each of them.

My signal strength throughout the house and yard is great. It is only that almost daily the NG router reboots itself.

Be sure to power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then factory reset the RBR by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard.
I would leave off the RBS for now. Check to see if the RBR stops rebooting itself. If it does, then turn ON the RBS.
May not be a FW issue.
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No, going to do that this evening
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? There are only a few other wifi networks that show up but the signal is very low.
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris CM3200A
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. No more than 30 feet between each of them.

My signal strength throughout the house and yard is great. It is only that almost daily the NG router reboots itself.

Does anyone know a command to generate new certs for OpenVPN on the Orbi. (regular OpenVPN host, not client). I lost track of who has my OpenVPN configuration file (ca, key, ovpn, etc.) and want to ensure that the file no longer "works". Just disabling and reenabling VPN doesn't change the config file. I guess that I could change the DDNS name, but I confess that how to do that is a mystery. (Do I edit it on both the Orbi and No-IP.com? If I change it on Orbi, will that propogate to No-IP.com? Or, vice-versa? Damn. Damn. Damn. I cannot find a user forum on No-IP.com to ask questions on.)

Does anyone know a command to generate new certs for OpenVPN on the Orbi. (regular OpenVPN host, not client). I lost track of who has my OpenVPN configuration file (ca, key, ovpn, etc.) and want to ensure that the file no longer "works". Just disabling and reenabling VPN doesn't change the config file. I guess that I could change the DDNS name, but I confess that how to do that is a mystery. (Do I edit it on both the Orbi and No-IP.com? If I change it on Orbi, will that propogate to No-IP.com? Or, vice-versa? Damn. Damn. Damn. I cannot find a user forum on No-IP.com to ask questions on.)

Check this post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-v-9-2-5-1-11sf-hw.61541/page-2#post-546733

Voxel.

Thank you for these! Does it make sense to maybe have a way to set up auto reboots overnight to maintain speed and stability of the Orbi? I know you are basically using their firmware and stripping some things out, could this just give us more time between reboots due to a memory leak or something else?

I think Linux already provides a method to perform tasks on schedule. Google "crontab" for examples and information.

Thank you for these! Does it make sense to maybe have a way to set up auto reboots overnight to maintain speed and stability of the Orbi? I know you are basically using their firmware and stripping some things out, could this just give us more time between reboots due to a memory leak or something else?
There is really possibility to organize auto reboot right now. If you are a bit familiar with Linux. Entware and cron (crontab). Entware is working with Orbi (my custom build).

But is it really necessary? My Orbi is working like a charm w/o daily reboot...

Voxel.

There is really possibility to organize auto reboot right now. If you are a bit familiar with Linux. Entware and cron (crontab). Entware is working with Orbi (my custom build).

But is it really necessary? My Orbi is working like a charm w/o daily reboot...

Voxel.
Thanks, I will let it run, it does seem stable up until now. I am just dealing with past Orbi trauma ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!