What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.17SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So you have another personal router as the Orbi is in AP mode. Does your router have a man in the middle certificate that needs to be installed on your Apple devices? This is only if your router is inspecting SSL for things like web filters.
Yup, my ISP router
My router works fine when the Orbi's "normal" firmware is installed

Double check the Orbi is in AP mode? If it is in Router mode and Circle and/or Armor is on, that could be getting in the middle of your secure sites causing your grief.
Yup did check that
Circle/armor cannot be enabled in AP mode so no problem there

Thanks for the help

I'm looking to upgrade to this latest version of the custom firmware to try and address an issue of slowdown on my wifi speeds after 2-3 days of uptime (discussed here on the Netgear forums). Speeds of wired devices remain fine and typically the issue is confined either the RBR50 itself, or the RBS50 - thus, during those times, wifi on the other Orbi devices works at the expected speeds. Has anyone else run into this issue on here, and can you confirm whether the new firmware helps to resolve this issue? I'm currently running stock 2.5.1.8. The issue also existed on the prior version of the stock firmware.

Additionally, in case the issue does occur with the custom firmware, are there tools available here that may help with determining the root cause of the problem so that it can either be corrected by restarting some process (assuming it's that simple :) ) or at least get more detailed diagnostics info that may help?

Thanks for any feedback that you can provide.

I have been having really good luck with 2.5.1.16 if you want to stay on Netgear official. I would recommend a software "Erase" to restore to system defaults followed by a pin reset, and then reconfigure - or you can save a backup of your settings and just restore those settings.

I have been having really good luck with 2.5.1.16 if you want to stay on Netgear official. I would recommend a software "Erase" to restore to system defaults followed by a pin reset, and then reconfigure - or you can save a backup of your settings and just restore those settings.
Can you please specify what you mean by a software erase and how to do it. Thanks!

@Voxel

Hello, I have some questions for you, not to be intruding but out of curiosity.

I was fed up with the stock firmware and its unstable behaviour, I was adviced to use your firmware, I looked it up and it said that it enables features I don't undestand like Entware and SSH which I don't want, I want a working stable Orbi. So I installed it.

1. There are rumors on the net saying your firmware is more stable, works better, and more solid than stock firmware. Did you work to make it as such or is it just a general misconception and a placebo effect? I don't get how 1 guy makes a better firmware than the team of programmers hired by Netgear.
  2. In your ReadMe you advice to reset the Orbi after installing your firmware, but reading online says resetting the orbi with your firmware will soft brick it. Is there something I am missing?
  3. How can you modify the Netgear firmware since its not open source?
  4. Why your firmware only supports RBK50 specifically, isn't the same firmware used for all Orbi line?
  5. Why you release modded firmware specifically for Netgear routers instead of using something more like Ubiquiti that everyone seem to agree they are rock solid. Do you favour Netgear for some reason? What is it?
Sorry if this sounds hostile, I am just curious. I only had your firmware for about a day but things seem stable, if it continues as such I will finally be happy with my Orbi purchase after the hectic issues I have been facing with their ill firmware.

Here is a suggestion, can you disable Netgear telemetry? I have been monitoring my networking and the Orbi is sending all kinds of information back to Netgear domains.

@Voxel

Hello, I have some questions for you, not to be intruding but out of curiosity.

I was fed up with the stock firmware and its unstable behaviour, I was adviced to use your firmware, I looked it up and it said that it enables features I don't undestand like Entware and SSH which I don't want, I want a working stable Orbi. So I installed it.

1. There are rumors on the net saying your firmware is more stable, works better, and more solid than stock firmware. Did you work to make it as such or is it just a general misconception and a placebo effect? I don't get how 1 guy makes a better firmware than the team of programmers hired by Netgear.
  2. In your ReadMe you advice to reset the Orbi after installing your firmware, but reading online says resetting the orbi with your firmware will soft brick it. Is there something I am missing?
  3. How can you modify the Netgear firmware since its not open source?
  4. Why your firmware only supports RBK50 specifically, isn't the same firmware used for all Orbi line?
  5. Why you release modded firmware specifically for Netgear routers instead of using something more like Ubiquiti that everyone seem to agree they are rock solid. Do you favour Netgear for some reason? What is it?
Sorry if this sounds hostile, I am just curious. I only had your firmware for about a day but things seem stable, if it continues as such I will finally be happy with my Orbi purchase after the hectic issues I have been facing with their ill firmware.

Here is a suggestion, can you disable Netgear telemetry? I have been monitoring my networking and the Orbi is sending all kinds of information back to Netgear domains.

1. I am professional. I am scientist. I am developer. My field includes aero/space software support. Bugs in this area are fatal practically always. If I do something I do it good.
NG uses outsourcing. Goal of outsourcing company is just to get money. As soon as possible. As much as possible. Well. Draw conclusions yourself

2. I do not reset my Orbi since my first firmware flashing. Cannot comment. I use the same settings w/o reset or soft brick. I do not use stock fw.

3. NETGEAR GPL sources:
https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL

plus my changes.

4. I do not have a time to support all Orbi. I do this for free. It is my hobby. Not my job.

5. I was so stupid to bye NG router in 2015. I was dissatisfied by quality of FW, I had to change it for myself. I shared my results. People like my version. Briefly all the story.

Voxel.

1. I am professional. I am scientist. I am developer. My field includes aero/space software support. Bugs in this area are fatal practically always. If I do something I do it good.
NG uses outsourcing. Goal of outsourcing company is just to get money. As soon as possible. As much as possible. Well. Draw conclusions yourself

2. I do not reset my Orbi since my first firmware flashing. Cannot comment. I use the same settings w/o reset or soft brick. I do not use stock fw.

3. NETGEAR GPL sources:
https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL

plus my changes.

4. I do not have a time to support all Orbi. I do this for free. It is my hobby. Not my job.

5. I was so stupid to bye NG router in 2015. I was dissatisfied by quality of FW, I had to change it for myself. I shared my results. People like my version. Briefly all the story.

Voxel.

My quest to find a decent home router continues, all brands have either hardware or software issues (well maybe non-mesh fare better), so far only a wired Ubiquiti system is what people agree on its quality. In the past I had D-Link, Linksys, and honestly R7000 that did their job quietly for years with hardly a hiccup. But the newer more complex ones are delivering unsatisfying results.

I was lucky to purchase the only Orbi system you support, you saved my purchase, thanks for your work, and I guess this is the end of the line for me , Netgear, and their telemetry collecting outsourced firmware.

@Voxel I'm not expert of Samba, but I was fiddling with it and enabled log level 2, restarted smbd and noticed that it automatically binds to all interfaces, in my case both br0 and brwan! I didn't do a super thorough testing, but I did try connecting to smb://<my public ip> and I easily connected as guest with no password.

I now added the following line, restarted smbd and the WAN port isn't binding anymore:
Code:
  interfaces = br0

Thanks for the reply. I’m not particularly married to the official firmware :) as it has proven to have issues like the slowdown I mentioned. Sadly, I have already tried the other options like reset and fresh setup etc.

I’m was primarily looking for input from others that may have had similar issues as I did and have either seen the problem go away, or a way to correct it without having to reboot the router.

As a side note: I did upgrade to the V9.2.5.1.17SF version of the Voxel firmware this morning and the upgrade was smooth and painless. The info posted by Voxel and other members on this forum was incredibly useful and gave me enough confidence that even if something went wrong, there were clear steps on how to recover and make forward progress. My sincere thanks to those that have provided such detailed info :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OrbiLogin.net
Login
Advanced tab
Administration
Backup Settings
Erase

Note, you might want to "Back Up" first; unless, you want to configure from scratch.

Is this the equivilant of factory reset? Is there a difference doing it this way or pushing the reset button on the device itself?
I was told factory reseting an Orbi with Voxel firmware will soft-brick it, can you explain?

Is this the equivilant of factory reset? Is there a difference doing it this way or pushing the reset button on the device itself?
I was told factory reseting an Orbi with Voxel firmware will soft-brick it, can you explain?

To be clear, I have only done this with official. I have NOT done this with Voxel. I am not sure if I would try this with Voxel. Do so at your own risk.

As far as the "same" as the pin button - don't know. One would think it would be. Doing it via the GUI it appears to erase and restore factory settings and then reboot. With the pin reset visually it is hard to tell what it is doing.

I just realized Transmission is not included in the firmware, is that right? Is there a plan to, or is Entware the way?

@Voxel I'm not expert of Samba, but I was fiddling with it and enabled log level 2, restarted smbd and noticed that it automatically binds to all interfaces, in my case both br0 and brwan! I didn't do a super thorough testing, but I did try connecting to smb://<my public ip> and I easily connected as guest with no password.

I now added the following line, restarted smbd and the WAN port isn't binding anymore:
Code:
  interfaces = br0

You know, I am not sure that such limitation "interfaces = br0" would be so good. For example, accessing your USB disk via OpenVPN (tun0 interface). Through OpenVPN. Or through WG. This is OK for you: so you are free to use this using your custom settings. /overlay on USB is still working.

BTW. I've seen your message. If you need smb3 (my build is using smb2) you can try to use Entware (Samba 4.x).

Voxel.

The erase feature on the UI is the same and pressing the reset button on the RBR when using stock FW.

I just realized Transmission is not included in the firmware, is that right? Is there a plan to, or is Entware the way?

Do you need transmission with Orbi firmware? Nobody else was interested in this. No problem to add it.

Voxel.

You know, I am not sure that such limitation "interfaces = br0" would be so good. For example, accessing your USB disk via OpenVPN (tun0 interface). Through OpenVPN. Or through WG. This is OK for you: so you are free to use this using your custom settings. /overlay on USB is still working.

you are right, my fix is working for me. I do think it’s a risk to leave guest accounts open AND binding the WAN port and that everyone should think about it twice. If you can think of a more holistic solution that would be great.

BTW. I've seen your message. If you need smb3 (my build is using smb2) you can try to use Entware (Samba 4.x).

Voxel.

thank you for the pointer. I actually found the solution to my problem and it had nothing to do with the Samba protocol

Do you need transmission with Orbi firmware? Nobody else was interested in this. No problem to add it.

Yes I am interested in having Transmission running on Orbi. What might be a better use of your time is to have a quick guide on how a user can add an individual package from Entware, I.e. I read the QuickStart guide and I admit I haven’t tried yet, but what I’m wondering is: can I unpack Entware on the USB drive, run the opkg and other commands and keep a single package (Transmission in my case) and get rid of everything else or does “activating Entware” come with other packages active at all times? My concern is simply on memory and CPU on the Orbi. I am looking at setting up Transmission plus OpenVPN so that my regular traffic goes straight out and all torrenting goes to VPN as described http://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-on-orbi-for-transmission-on-voxel.63688/

The erase feature on the UI is the same and pressing the reset button on the RBR when using stock FW.

I have compulsion with resetting to factory settings, I have a false believe that it clears it of "junk" data stuck bloating the performance, but no way I am doing that with Voxel firmware. I really do not want to brick or soft brick anything. Its working great now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!