What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.17SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I added your wishes to my 2do list. I mean telemetry. NG: very good hardware, dreadful software. But it is a fun for me.

Voxel.

I didn't think you will pick me up on that. While you are at it, I rather have the device not contact Netgear or any other service, telemetry or not. I don't want my device to talk to the outside world. Although I am not sure if others would prefer this, maybe there are things that are necessary for the router to contact like NTP servers.

Maybe I will stay on Netgear if the router I want has your firmware considering that every other brand seems to have its own software issues especially with mesh systems except for Ubiquiti.

There are other open source firmware like DD-WRT and Asus Merlin, but not sure if they support modern routers or if they work better or worse. Your Firmware is the only option for Orbi(in my case) which is running stunning well so far.

Netgear+Voxel Firmware= Happy Customer. Netgear should hire you and pay you like $200K a month, you will make them millions in router sales of satisfied customers.

Last edited:
Do you need transmission with Orbi firmware? Nobody else was interested in this. No problem to add it.

Voxel.

As a package, certainly any freedom or flexibility for an owner the better. Please do not include it as part of the base firmware, however.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

@Voxel

I would be greatly obliged if you could please look into the stability and speed issues experienced upon separating SSIDs (described in greater detail in my earlier posts on this thread.) I know that you have your hands full so please disregard this request if it is a bother! Many thanks for your excellent work.

Yes, we hope that Voxel will correct his FW so that the reset button and ERASE button in the UI will work as expected so users can factory reset when needed. The factory reset should work like stock FW. Factory resets maybe needed when user configurations are not correct and is causing problems, and yes it can clear out "junk" or stuff blocking performances. Comes in handy when troubleshooting problems.

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file as well. Saves time when a reset is needed.

I would suggest that if users need to reset, for now, revert back to stock FW, factory reset there, then re-apply Voxels FW and setup again or apply a backup config from file.
I have compulsion with resetting to factory settings, I have a false believe that it clears it of "junk" data stuck bloating the performance, but no way I am doing that with Voxel firmware. I really do not want to brick or soft brick anything. Its working great now.

Has anyone tested doing a factory reset via the hardware reset button instead of the web admin? Curious if that also soft bricks.

Yes, we hope that Voxel will correct his FW so that the reset button and ERASE button in the UI will work as expected so users can factory reset when needed. The factory reset should work like stock FW. Factory resets maybe needed when user configurations are not correct and is causing problems, and yes it can clear out "junk" or stuff blocking performances. Comes in handy when troubleshooting problems.

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file as well. Saves time when a reset is needed.

I would suggest that if users need to reset, for now, revert back to stock FW, factory reset there, then re-apply Voxels FW and setup again or apply a backup config from file.

That will be great, but given that he is doing it as a hobby, for free, and in his spare time one can not demand anything. If it happens I will be glad, and if it doesn't happen I am just so happy that my Orbi works superb now and I didn't lose my money, I learned through life that we have to give the blind eye to some things and if that is going to be the extra steps(like you mentioned) to reset the router, so be it!

Guys,
my wireless performance on RBK50 driving me crazy. Voxel FW didn't improve it in my case.
Speedtest on orbi itself shows stable 850 mbps download, 913 mbps upload.
No matter how close I'm to router, using macbook pro 2018, iphone XS, i can't achieve speeds higher than 250-350 mbps download, 400-450 mbps upload.
On same devices using one of nighthawk (can't remember specific model) - speed was wayyyyy higher.
My channels not really congested, so i have no idea what's possible cause.

Any ideas ?

Screenshot-2020-05-06-at-14-44-19.png

Last edited:
Guys,
my wireless performance on RBK50 driving me crazy. Voxel FW didn't improve it in my case.
No matter how close I'm to router, using macbook pro 2018, iphone XS, i can't achieve speeds higher than 250-350 mbps download, 400-450 mbps upload.
On same devices using one of nighthawk (can't remember specific model) - speed was wayyyyy higher.

Any ideas ?

Try switching channels?

You'll not see much over 400-500Mpbs on the down on orbi. Your connection rate is already 866 which is max for a connection rate, this is only a connection rate. Actual speed thruput differs and will be slower based on device design and support there.

I presume your wired speeds are to spec since wired LAN supports 1000Mpbs connection rate. You should see near 900Mpbs on the down here.

Guys,

Any ideas ?

Ya, all we can do is ask or request. Voxel is receptive to requests and if it's in his means and can take the time, he usually gets it done. Just have be patient. Voxel does great work for those NG products he likes working on. ;)

That will be great, but given that he is doing it as a hobby, for free, and in his spare time one can not demand anything. If it happens I will be glad, and if it doesn't happen I am just so happy that my Orbi works superb now and I didn't lose my money, I learned through life that we have to give the blind eye to some things and if that is going to be the extra steps(like you mentioned) to reset the router, so be it!

To add ... sure make the request to Voxel ... but if you are on a timeline for a specific feature ... you might want to consider a purchased product with the feature(s) you desire.

You'll not see much over 400-500Mpbs on the down on orbi. Your connection rate is already 866 which is max for a connection rate, this is only a connection rate. Actual speed thruput differs and will be slower based on device design and support there.

I presume your wired speeds are to spec since wired LAN supports 1000Mpbs connection rate. You should see near 900Mpbs on the down here.

Does it serve 400-500Mbps per device or total output? I mean if I connect a computer and iphone, can I get 400Mbps on each, or will they share the 400Mbps?

Shared, if on the same node. :)

Guys,

Any ideas ?

How much higher? A web search shows that max AC speed is 400-500Mbps. Maybe you were using a Wifi 6 router? I have Tx Rate : 300Mbps I am pretty close to the router.

You'll not see much over 400-500Mpbs on the down on orbi. Your connection rate is already 866 which is max for a connection rate, .

shouldn't he get more if he uses Mu-Mimo? My understanding is that 400Mbps is typical AC speed of a single antenna, but with Mu-Mimo using double antennas will give you double the speed?! Maybe I am understanding this wrong.

Some but not much. Maybe 600Mpbs. Again, depends on device support and design.

@Voxel

I would be greatly obliged if you could please look into the stability and speed issues experienced upon separating SSIDs (described in greater detail in my earlier posts on this thread.) I know that you have your hands full so please disregard this request if it is a bother! Many thanks for your excellent work.
You know, usually I do not change any QCA specific stuffs, namely their drivers. These stuffs are in the binary form in NG GPL source codes. So I can do not so much to change this. Unfortunately. Maybe. I'd interested in this too. I do not like this unified 2.4 and 5 SSIDs...

I hope to change this. But now: I am locked and I am extremely busy with my family, because of COVID-19. All this make me mad.

Voxel.

You know, usually I do not change any QCA specific stuffs, namely their drivers. These stuffs are in the binary form in NG GPL source codes. So I can do not so much to change this. Unfortunately. Maybe. I'd interested in this too. I do not like this unified 2.4 and 5 SSIDs...

I hope to change this. But now: I am locked and I am extremely busy with my family, because of COVID-19. All this make me mad.

Voxel.

Stay safe.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!