What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50 v. 2.5.0.42SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for your report. I'll check. There was something like that during my internal betas with this but I do not remember such an obstacle (fatal impossibility to login by telnet). BTW I'd recommend to establish SSH access to the router/satellite. SSH authorization by keys is used. In my quick start readme it is mentioned...

BTW, try also to enter using "root" account, not "admin".

Voxel.
I tried to login using ssh, but without access to the terminal I couldn't upload the authorized_keys file.

Using "root" as username on telnet login gives me the same message, it doesn't allow me to input the password. The thing is, when I try to login using any other invented username, it asks me the password, but not with "admin" or "root".

I tried to login using ssh, but without access to the terminal I couldn't upload the authorized_keys file.
I cannot check this telnet right now (far from Orbi). But regarding SSH: there is short QuickStart.txt in archive with FW. USB with your authorized_keys file in /overlay/root/.ssh directory.

/overlay/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

Voxel.

I cannot check this telnet right now (far from Orbi). But regarding SSH: there is short QuickStart.txt in archive with FW. USB with your authorized_keys file in /overlay/root/.ssh directory.

/overlay/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

Voxel.
My Orbi model is RBK53-100NAS and it doesn't have any USB port...

voxel sir i have a rbr50 with satellite can i use your custom firmware .it has a custom firnmware from the isp that is locked to 2.1.16 if i use your frmware can i revert back to the saved firmware or install stock firmware from the international market manually yo bring it upto date

do u have any flash firmware to load latest stock firmware cause mine is isp locked i guess

voxel sir i have a rbr50 with satellite can i use your custom firmware .it has a custom firnmware from the isp that is locked to 2.1.16 if i use your frmware can i revert back to the saved firmware or install stock firmware from the international market manually yo bring it upto date

do u have any flash firmware to load latest stock firmware cause mine is isp locked i guess

Well, I have no ideas re: what specific is of your specific ISP firmware. At least now my version is corrected/optimized/improved version of the stock firmware. Anyway, if your ISP can provide you by files of their locked version (IMG files) you can try to flash either stock or mine version with possibility to roll back (to ISP locked). For example using TFTF method if flashing is disabled in GUI:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

So first clarify from ISP how to flash your Orbi by their version if Orbi cannot boot or so...

Voxel.

Well, I have no ideas re: what specific is of your specific ISP firmware. At least now my version is corrected/optimized/improved version of the stock firmware. Anyway, if your ISP can provide you by files of their locked version (IMG files) you can try to flash either stock or mine version with possibility to roll back (to ISP locked). For example using TFTF method if flashing is disabled in GUI:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

So first clarify from ISP how to flash your Orbi by their version if Orbi cannot boot or so...

Voxel.
my isp are A$$h0les they say that is the latest firmware and nothing more when i can see online there are latest releases. cause when i do a manual update it says you are using the latest firmware. my question can i load your firmware to an isp locked one and if yes can i revert to the netgear website stock firmware

my question can i load your firmware to an isp locked one and if yes can i revert to the netgear website stock firmware

As I said at least flashing using TFTP should work. However NG warns:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061393/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-0-40-Hot-Fix

that it cannot be updated directly to 2.3 or higher. I.e. intermediate flashing is needed. I had to do such an intermediate flashing when I got my Orbi. The same intermediate flashing is needed for stock 2.5.0.40 (this version I use as a basis).

Voxel.

Please post a screen shot, including html-page of where you want the reboot button.

Hello,

After having slow speed and latency issues with stock FW 2.5.0.38, I installed 2.5.0.42SF-HW yesterday and all appeared well last night. Speeds were where I expected and game play latency had reduced dramatically. However, when I checked this morning, we had lost internet access sometime through the night and I could not access the RBR50 via the web console. I did a power reset and all seems back to normal.

In case this happens again, can you provide some steps for me to troubleshoot? I just want to make sure I can provide back any information necessary to assist.

Thanks for your hard work creating these improved firmware versions, it is appreciated.

I hope to release it soon. This week. Testing phase.

But note: this separation of the SSIDs is performed manually, using telnet/ssh. Not using GUI.

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel. Are you saying you can do it currently with your firmware using telnet/ssh or that it will be available hopefully soon. Will it display status on the home screen? Are you planning on allowing you to set it from the GUI? I am fine with using telnet/ssh as long as when the router is rebooted it does not switch back. That is why I have not upgraded to the latest firmware.

My Orbi model is RBK53-100NAS and it doesn't have any USB port...
they have eliminated the usb port on current production. i think the only way to get one with it is an older refurbished unit.

they have eliminated the usb port on current production. i think the only way to get one with it is an older refurbished unit.
Yeah, but maybe there are some workaround for this. I have been reading in this blog (https://hackingthenetgearorbi.wordpress.com) how you can format an unused partition on the RBR50 and mount it to persist data without an USB disk.

In any case, i wanted to try this firmware to activate DNSCrypt-Proxy for adblocking from my router (currently using an unbound server on freenas for this, but I have to change DNS for DHCP manually on every reboot).

Reactions: Gar
I have now prepared a fix for these issues:
  • Reboot button
  • Telnet login
I'll send the fixes to @Voxel for implementing to his FW.
It can be used as a basic idea for other GUI functions.

Ok thanks for letting me know. Understand about the limited abilities on making changes.

I did try this once a while back an the RBS never came back online. I'll try this again to see. Maybe they fixed it. Right now i have a remote power switch connected with the RBS. I can just turn the switch OFF then back ON. ;)

I'm lazy too when it comes to walking down to the basement to fiddle with the RBS. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time.

Well. Maybe. But not right now. Reason is that net-cgi (CGI processor) is included into GPL sources in binary form. So I am almost cannot change the GUI... So (at least temporary) changes in GUI are minimal.

P.S.
BTW I just use SSH/telnet login to satellite to reboot it remotely... I am too lazy to walk to other floor where my RBS is located :).

Voxel.

Let me know if I can help out testing. Would LOVE To see your Temperature Add-On be included or installable for Voxels Orbi FW. :)

Exactly where, on what page?
I don't have or know this router, but I can probably make this and send to Voxel for trial.

Kewl, please let me know if I can help test this out.

I presume Voxel can determine where to place the reboot button if it can be added. There are just 3 menus to pick from. Maybe on the Status page at the bottom or as a last button on the left side under LogOut? Up to you guys.

Thank you so much.
I have now prepared a fix for these issues:
  • Reboot button
  • Telnet login
I'll send the fixes to @Voxel for implementing to his FW.
It can be used as a basic idea for other GUI functions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!