What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.22SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800.36859/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.22SF.

The link for downloads is: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tyj61i5uc610w/voxel-firmware

Changes (vs 1.0.2.21SF):
1.0.2.22SF
1. OpenSSL version is upgraded 1.0.2j->1.0.2k
2. OpenVPN version is upgraded 2.3.14->2.4.0.
3. gettext version is upgraded 0.19.6->0.19.8.1.
4. confuse version is upgraded 2.7->3.0.
5. expat version is upgraded 2.1.0->2.2.0.
6. avahi version is upgraded 0.6.31->0.6.32.
7. gdbm version is upgraded 1.8.3->1.11.
8. libyaml is removed to save a space (not used).
9. dnscrypt-resolvers.csv is updated.
10. Host tools: mpfr version is upgraded 3.1.3->3.1.5.
11. Toolchain: two components are upgraded.

(Thanks to vladlenas for additional testing).

Voxel.

Last edited:

The link for downloads is: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tyj61i5uc610w/voxel-firmware

Changes (vs 1.0.2.21SF):
1.0.2.22SF

Voxel.
Can this be upgraded from version 21sf to 22sf through the console?
Is REBOOT required?
Thank you for any help!

1) By default you mount the device with label optware as /opt
I have another device with a different label connected on e-sata port that also has optware initial files copied on it but has a different label.
I want to mount this as /opt and test is there is some significant difference in speed of my webserver if I use a ssd drive instead of an usb stick.
So what file I need to modify to mount a device with another label as /opt ?

2) you said that you may be in contact with netgear developers https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40361#comment-40361
any chance to ask them a few things ?

2a) to let us port forward to the router IP using their GUI port fordward interface
https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40187#comment-40187
they must understand that some of us may use this device as a server, so we may need to port forward to the router itself.

2b) after we write a new firmware they redirect any outside http connection to netgear site. I would like to be able to disable this redirect from the router menu.

Can this be upgraded from version 21sf to 22sf through the console?
Is REBOOT required?
Thank you for any help!
With version, you can update any version of firmwarе. Regardless of the number and the stock firmware or Voxel. The console is absolutely no need, flash the standard method from web interface. But if flashing from stock, I strongly recommend to make "revert to factory default settings ".
P. S.And after the first flash Voxel firmvare, not to restore a backup saved from stock. ;)

With version, you can update any version of firmwarе. Regardless of the number and the stock firmware or Voxel. The console is absolutely no need, flash the standard method from web interface. But if flashing from stock, I strongly recommend to make "revert to factory default settings ".
P. S.And after the first flash Voxel firmvare, not to restore a backup saved from stock. ;)
thank you for the reply. I have d/l 22sf. I will try it asap

1) By default you mount the device with label optware as /opt
I have another device with a different label connected on e-sata port that also has optware initial files copied on it but has a different label.
I want to mount this as /opt and test is there is some significant difference in speed of my webserver if I use a ssd drive instead of an usb stick.
So what file I need to modify to mount a device with another label as /opt ?

You cannot mount automatically you disk with label to /opt, but there several ways to have the disk with your own label accessible from /opt. My firmware automatically runs the script (if exists and executable) autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh from the root of your external disk/stick. By default /opt is used by firmware (the same as stock) for ReadyCLOUD. But you can use symlinks. Or remove ReadyCLOUD if you do not need it creating /.nocloud file and manually removing this addons from Netgear.

Well, maybe it will be more clear if you download my entware-cortex-15-3x-initial.tar.gz and check autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh from this archive. post-mount.sh is executed automatically with argument == disk device (sda1 or sdb1, etc.)

2) you said that you may be in contact with netgear developers https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40361#comment-40361
any chance to ask them a few things ?

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40421#comment-40421

Port forwarding to router:

eliz82, we already discussed port forwarding to router, right?

I do not have all source codes, sorry. I am limited in modification of GUI.

Voxel.

check autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh from this archive. post-mount.sh is executed automatically with argument == disk device (sda1 or sdb1, etc.)
so it will run the script even the device label is not optware.
so all i need to do is:
1) eject sda1
2) or delete/rename this file "autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh" from the sda1
reboot after that and the entware 3x from sdb1 will start
ahh, sorry I did not saw that response.

so it will run the script even the device label is not optware.
so all i need to do is:
1) eject sda1
2) or delete/rename this file "autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh" from the sda1
reboot after that and the entware 3x from sdb1 will start

Something like that. If both disks (sda1 and sdb1) have autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh, they both will be executed. After reboot or if you attach disk to router which is working already (hot plug).

Voxel.

eliz82, we already discussed port forwarding to router, right?
I do not have all source codes, sorry. I am limited in modification of GUI.
I managed to find where their router IP blocking function is.
file /www/forwarding.js on lines 121-125 and lines 516-520

Code:
    if(isSameIp(cf.service_ip.value,lan_ip) == true)
   {
       alert("$invalid_ip");
       return false;
   }

comment those lines , refresh the webpage of the GUI. now you can port forward to the router itself from the GUI (like on Asus Merlin).

I have checked:
Code:
nvram show | grep forwarding
It seems the rule is added.

I managed to find where their router IP blocking function is.
file /www/forwarding.js on lines 121-125 and lines 516-520

Code:
    if(isSameIp(cf.service_ip.value,lan_ip) == true)
   {
       alert("$invalid_ip");
       return false;
   }

comment those lines , refresh the webpage of the GUI. now you can port forward to the router itself from the GUI (like on Asus Merlin).

I have checked:
Code:
nvram show | grep forwarding
It seems the rule is added.

OK, many thanks! I like to get a help ;-)

I'll check/test.

Voxel.

OK, many thanks! I like to get a help ;-)

I'll check/test.

Voxel.
I noticed in the original Netgear firmware that when you enable VPN it automatically enables "WAN respond to ping" and greys out the setting so that you cannot disable it. Does the VPN really need the WAN to respond to ping requests? Not as secure to hide your router from hacking snoopers searching for live ipaddresses. Anyway, on my router I have reenabled that ping setting check box under the WAN setup page so that you can choose to enable or disable it when you have VPN enabled. I don't know if voxel mods have a different VPN that also fixes this but here is the fix on my original Netgear R7800 firmware:
You edit the following file:
/www/WAN_wan.htm

search for and comment out the following lines: (mine starts at line 151)

if(vpn_enable == '1'){
setDisabled(true, cf.rspToPing);
document.getElementById("rspToPingString").style.color="grey";

}
save and quit the file. Done!
login to your router and go to Advanced -> WAN settings page to view the ping enable/disable selector.
You can now select it to enable or disable to your liking.

Remember, I said this was with my ORIGINAL Netgear firmware... not Voxels but it may be the same...?

I noticed in the original Netgear firmware that when you enable VPN it automatically enables "WAN respond to ping" and greys out the setting so that you cannot disable it. Does the VPN really need the WAN to respond to ping requests? Not as secure to hide your router from hacking snoopers searching for live ipaddresses. Anyway, on my router I have reenabled that ping setting check box under the WAN setup page so that you can choose to enable or disable it when you have VPN enabled. I don't know if voxel mods have a different VPN that also fixes this but here is the fix on my original Netgear R7800 firmware:
You edit the following file:
/www/WAN_wan.htm

search for and comment out the following lines: (mine starts at line 151)

if(vpn_enable == '1'){
setDisabled(true, cf.rspToPing);
document.getElementById("rspToPingString").style.color="grey";

}
save and quit the file. Done!
login to your router and go to Advanced -> WAN settings page to view the ping enable/disable selector.
You can now select it to enable or disable to your liking.

Remember, I said this was with my ORIGINAL Netgear firmware... not Voxels but it may be the same...?

Thanks for your hint. I'll add it to my version. Anyway, I disabled ping to router from WAN inspite of this checkbox form the very beginning, right after I got it, when I discovered that I can ping it from external world. So currently it is not "ping-able" from the WAN in my build. But better to leave a choice for users.

Voxel.

Thanks for your hint. I'll add it to my version. Anyway, I disabled ping to router from WAN inspite of this checkbox form the very beginning, right after I got it, when I discovered that I can ping it from external world. So currently it is not "ping-able" from the WAN in my build. But better to leave a choice for users.

Voxel.
You're welcome Voxel. I'm always glad to help out and contribute wherever I can for a good cause! In time I hope you can gather enough updates and improvements to make this router really shine more than it does already and have a long life even after Netgear drops supporting it.

Voxel.

It's working. Thanks again. I'll add to the next release.

Voxel.

Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800.36859/

Changes (vs 1.0.2.21SF):
1.0.2.22SF

Voxel.
I cannot get the ssh feature to work yet, so my question is :
I have a bunch of priorities set with "Allow", "Deny" in "Access Control".
Is there a way to backup my settings in "Access Control".
I caught hell last night about blocking a device and I don't want to go through that again if I upgrade to the next version.

I cannot get the ssh feature to work yet, so my question is :
I have a bunch of priorities set with "Allow", "Deny" in "Access Control".
Is there a way to backup my settings in "Access Control".
I caught hell last night about blocking a device and I don't want to go through that again if I upgrade to the next version.

You can use usual "Save a copy of current settings" and then "Restore saved settings from a file". The same as in stock.

ADVANCED->Administration->Backup Settings

Voxel.

You can use usual "Save a copy of current settings" and then "Restore saved settings from a file". The same as in stock.

ADVANCED->Administration->Backup Settings

Voxel.
Thank you so much for this!
I was just concerned to do this cause on my Asus rt-3100, they always advise against this cause of copying bad settings from version to version.

It's working. Thanks again. I'll add to the next release.

Voxel.
:) Great to hear. Let me know when you have the new build with that fix in place ready. I am going to wait for you to release it and then I will install it on my R7800 to test try it all out. Thanks!

Thanks for the new build. FYI and others asking. I installed new build(voxel FW) from the newest Netgear FW build. I had 0 issues installing from web GUI. Up and running in less than 5 min start to finish. I did back up settings but did not have to restore them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!