What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.32SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800.36859/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-22sf.37222/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-23sf-v-1-0-2-24sf.37477/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-25sf-v-1-0-2-29sf.38032/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-30sf.38366/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-31sf.39142/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.32SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.31SF):
1. dropbear package is upgraded 2016.74->2017.75.
2. OpenSSL is upgraded 1.0.2k->1.0.2l.
3. dnscrypt-proxy package is upgraded 1.9.4->1.9.5.
4. mxml package is upgraded 2.9->2.10.
5. p0f package is upgraded 3.06b->3.09b.
6. libgpg-error package is upgraded 1.25->1.27.
7. sqlite package is upgraded 3170000->3190200.
8. alsa-lib package is upgraded 1.1.3->1.1.4.1.
9. jq package is upgraded 1.3->1.5.
10. ethtool package is upgraded 4.10->4.11.
11. dnscrypt-resolvers.csv is updated.
12. libavl package is removed to save space (not used).
13. ngrep package is removed to save space (not used).
14. Recent patches are added to some packages (syncronize with OpenWRT/LEDE).
15. Host tools: one component is upgraded to most recent versions.

The link is:

http://www.voxel-firmware.com

(thanks to vladlenas for his help)

No reset is needed to upgrade from my previous versions.

Voxel.

Last edited:
thumbs-up.png

I like the new website makeover.

Last edited:
After some testing, since you told me to try playing with rmem/wmem and congestion, it seems Netgear's default "cubic" with rmem/wmem max at 163840 gives me the best buffer bloat scores, thanks for the tip Voxel.

After some testing, since you told me to try playing with rmem/wmem and congestion, it seems Netgear's default "cubic" with rmem/wmem max at 163840 gives me the best buffer bloat scores, thanks for the tip Voxel.

Interesting.... Thank you for your tests and sharing result.

Voxel.

Does this custom FW allow region change? I am stuck at Japan which is where I bought from and the router has limited channels available for 5G.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have an issue, not related to any changes you made, but hoping you may have some tips.

Voxel I am getting low USB 3.0 Speeds ~40/20 MB/s R/W. I'm using an OEM USB 3.0 case with a Hitachi 2.5" 5400RPM drive, I tried both NTFS/EXT4 filesystems.

I made the following changes and still no difference, do you have any tips? Do you think it would be possible to include "irqbalance" package for load balancing, not sure if that would help.

cat /sys/block/sda/device/max_sectors (240 Default)
echo 1024 > /sys/block/sda/device/max_sectors
cat /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb (128 Default)
echo 1024 > /sys/block/sda/queue/read_ahead_kb

Last edited:
Hi Voxel.

I have to report after downgraded the qos to v2 it works like a charm. A very reliable solution. Do you still believe I have 2nd faulty hardware or messed up qos

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I have a remote sessions with netgear engineers this Tuesday via chat as they don't know English so weird. I have to show case that its crashing with v4. As many says no and few says yes that problem persist. I have to get it replaced if by chance this is also faulty hardware

I have a remote sessions with netgear engineers this Tuesday via chat as they don't know English so weird. I have to show case that its crashing with v4. As many says no and few says yes that problem persist. I have to get it replaced if by chance this is also faulty hardware

Could you link to the other users having issue with database v4 that are not you please? Its good to get a broader view. Personally I think you have tried so many versions of firmware and reset possibly using 30/30/30 (not needed on this router or most modern routers) and restored maybe from the wrong file after downgrading firmware (just theorising) that you have may have corrupted your nvram (possibly) as I said v4 database has never crashed on my router and its used every day. Links would be great as I said to see what others are saying and what their problems are. So far I can only find your posts under different user names. :)

Hi everyone!!!
Voxel will be absent until the end of the month. He apologizes that he can not answer your questions. Upon his return, he will try to answer all your questions and wishes.
Sorry! :)

We might miss him. But the new will keep us occupied in between and we will have enough to report once he is back

I wanted to understand how the mu mimo or the quad / tri or dual spatial stream works.

It was so complex and could be simple.

As i dont have MU MIMO or wave 2 client. All should be basically 1st gen Ac client

I was transmitting some 80gigs from my laptop to NAS via A6200 ac 1200 netgear adaptor connected to 5ghz ac band .

Even though it says 866Mbps while active trasnfer it goes donw to 526Mbps

I was saturating the usb 2.0 speed of 32MB/s

it was max speed and lowest was 19- 26MB/a

Average arround 28MB/s

I wanted to see if the 2nd client demands some data from internet what is the inflection

I did a speed test with 1x1 client connect at 433mbps or 370Mbps

i did get my rated isp 100+ mbps

When download speed was benchmarked i suddenly saw the drop in the laptop local transfer from 28MB/s to 19Mb/s

the exact amount of the ISP speed. Once the upload speed started it came back 28+MB/s

So is that mean 3rd anntenna wont be used at all. I do see it treat every client as same and uses the same spatial stream.

If this is the case i cant have local transfer and Internet transfer speed to max the same time.

I have a laptop ASUS G752VT with Killer Wireless-AC 1535 and Synology DS116.
Download speed from NAS 75-80 MB/s (3-4 meters without a wall) and 65-70 (5-6 behind the wall).
Upload speed from laptop to NAS 45-55 MB/s (There is no big difference, there is a wall or not).
R7800 have activated MU-MIMO and Killer Wireless-AC 1535 also activated MU-MIMO.
Test file BDRip 26 Gb.
When copying small files or archives, speed is of course lower.

UPD. I do not have another device with MU-MIMO, check how the MU-MIMO works not tested. In my tests, there was no speed difference with MU-MIMO or without.

Last edited:
The 866Mbps you see is the Link Rate.... as in max theoretical, you will never reach that due to overhead and other things. With the Intel 7260 showing a 866Mbps link rate I get 560Mbps (70 MB/s) downlink and 512 Mbps (64 MB/s) uplink at 4-5ft clear line of sight, 480 Mbps (60 MB/s) downlink and 320-360 Mbps (40-45 MB/s) uplink at 12-15ft, one floor below the router at a roughly 45 degree angle, in terms of NAS transfers. In the basement max link

So as you can see, Link Rate doesn't mean you will actually get that speed, vladlenas also pointed out the same in his post above.

Test Equipment:
Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel7260ac adapter upgrade.
Netgear ReadyNAS 524X NAS

Unless you're doing lots of large NAS transfers or something, I don't think you need an adapter upgrade and you are getting your rated internet speeds so don't worry about it.

If you have a 1x1 ac or an older n adapter, you can upgrade your laptop/PC to an intel 7260/5, 8260/5. The 8265 supports MU-MIMO. If your laptop has a 1/2 Mini-PCIE slot then you can use the 7260ac otherwise you will need a M2 adapter to use a 7265/8260/8265. I had a 3x3 6300N in my Dell E6230, prior to the upgrade.

Last edited:
No thats not my query here. I understand the overhead. I am facing a different issues here.

Say this is a 4x4 router. And my query here is it is capable of connecting say 10-20 clients on an average.

But when 2 clients simultaneously demand data transfer over wifi but different source. Say one from Local NAS and another from Internet.

Both are in AC band .

1st client is 2x2 connect at 526Mbps USB 2.0 . Practially max 33MB/s

2nd Client Mobile 1x1 AC client connect at 433Mbps or 370Mbs. Can do max transfer of 150Mbs/ 19MB/s since it will throtle cpu if old gen

My case or the situation i explained was

These above devices were doing active transfer of files locally and internet. Here QOS have very or no usage since both does different transfer source.

1st the lappy connected to USB 2.0 adaptor was doing file copy to nas at 32MB/s averaged to 28MB/s .

2nd i want to see if the 2nd client demands some data. Will it downgrade the speed. Which it dit.

The Speedtest give full speed to the mobile ac client connected @ 370Mbps give download of 100Mbps or 10MB/s

Once this started the speed of files transfer to NAS came down to 18MB/s from 28MB/s

Once the download finished and upload of the speed test started it came back to 28MB/s instantly. As it was just 5-6Mbps upload it didnt disturb much.

So my query was being these 2 clients are non MU-MIMO was the reason that the router could not do both traffice at the same time.

Or how does it degrade the wifi speed. Ie when 2 client demands 3 spatial stream in total will it give sequencial or

How it allocates the Spatial stream for 2x2 and 1x1 devices. Will it use the 3rd stream or one of the 2 streams allocated to usb 2.0 adaptor.

Hope this time i clearly explains the situation.

Hi Voxel,

I would like to report that DDNS at times wont work. Manually need to go to the status button for sometimes or disable and enable it for it to work again

Also the date is wiered.

ddns_issue.png

current_date.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!