What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.32SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Today i had remote access to my router no local devices. It was connected for a while and QOS working fine. After 45 min of client was disconnect from net my office laptop. I reconnected and browser in Attached devices page. I clicked on that again after connecting to Internet. It did re-authentication. Boom even now v2.0 remote client can crash the QOS

Which did happened on v4.0 as well. But v2.0 holded and never before. Something is so wiered.

As this crash will be fixed on router reboot. But it not the point. If it is say months running and a single reboot fix is not a problem But within few days is not at all good for such a high end router costing twice as R7000 which is so goood which i now felt i made a mistake on give away r7000 and getting this hardware failure router.

Sorry I can understand only half of what you write.

From your video I can see only two problems with QoS page:

1. Download using Ethernet port on your computer MACHO is not refreshed (shows always 0)
2. Download using Wi-Fi does not display "expand" symbol i.e. "[+]"

You use Firefox. Did you try say Google Chrome? I do not have such problems, my Chrome shows current speed refreshing it automatically when I mark checkbox "Enable Auto Refreshing". And download speed is close to what I have from my ISP.

My QoS is working 3 days. According to procid. I.e. the same time as uptime of router.

Voxel.

Hi
A complete noob here, having some issues,

I cant seem to be able to get ssh up and running, formating usb to ext2 on my ubuntu PC and trying to copy over setssh to this i do not get write permissions. So ssh is head F me lol.

New QoS files on download folder being as i cant get ssh working i cant install the new files i take it?

Yes I tried all the browser. The above issue can be replicated as below.

1. Connect any client to router gui page.

2. Disconnect the client from network.
3. Leave it for 1 hour and don't access router page till the disconnected client re connect.

4. After an hour the disconnected client need to be connected the moment opened browser in any gui page or especially attached page tends to resume the refresh when requested to router re authentication happens that moment after credentials verification the gui crash qos service.
5. To verify sort the attached device page by application it will be blank

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Great firmware, however, I have noticed a rather annoying issue that occurs about every 24 hours with this revision:

Router loses WAN IP

I either need to reboot the modem (Alcatel-Lucent fiber to copper), the router (R8000), or both to get the Internet connectivity restored. I upgraded to this revision straight from the version that came on it when I unboxed it 2 weeks ago (strangely enough, it asked if I really wanted to install an older firmware on it).

Any ideas?

Hi
A complete noob here, having some issues,

I cant seem to be able to get ssh up and running, formating usb to ext2 on my ubuntu PC and trying to copy over setssh to this i do not get write permissions. So ssh is head F me lol.

New QoS files on download folder being as i cant get ssh working i cant install the new files i take it?

If you are Linux user (Ubuntu), it should be easy for you to setup ssh access using authorized_keys manually. Did you create correct authorized_keys file? If yes, just:

1. Enable telnet with this page http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm
2. Copy your authorized_keys file to USB stick (any filesystem, maybe even FAT or NTFS) and attach it to router
3. Telnet to your router.
4. Create the directory /root/.ssh (mkdir /root/.ssh).
5. Copy your authorized_keys file to this created directory (e.g. cp /mnt/sda1/authorized_keys /root/.ssh).
6. Change permissions 0600 for this file (chmod 0600 /root/.ssh/authorized_keys).
7. Reboot router.

Now you can use your ssh key (corresponding to what is stored in your authorized_keys, e.g. id_rsa form your Ubuntu) to enter by ssh to router.

You can google "ssh authorization by key" if you did not do it befiore. A lot of instructions.

Regarding QoS question: I did not understand what do you mean.

Voxel.

Yes I tried all the browser. The above issue can be replicated as below.

1. Connect any client to router gui page.

2. Disconnect the client from network.
3. Leave it for 1 hour and don't access router page till the disconnected client re connect.

4. After an hour the disconnected client need to be connected the moment opened browser in any gui page or especially attached page tends to resume the refresh when requested to router re authentication happens that moment after credentials verification the gui crash qos service.
5. To verify sort the attached device page by application it will be blank

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Tested:

1. I connected my iphone to router GUI (Administration->Attached Devices page)
2. Switched of Wi-Fi in iphone settings (disconnected)
3. Waiting for a hour w/o connection of iphone to Wi-Fi
4. Connected to Wi-Fi, refresh the page again (Administration->Attached Devices page)
(I coud see all my devices attached, including iphone, autorefreshing is working)
5. Sorted attached devices by application
(I could see such sort)

No any crash. QoS DB 28th of April 2017. FW 1.0.2.32SF. Checking QoS proc id (qdiscman): the same 6122. Current last process id is 31186.

I just cannot reproduce.

Voxel.

Great firmware, however, I have noticed a rather annoying issue that occurs about every 24 hours with this revision:

Router loses WAN IP

I either need to reboot the modem (Alcatel-Lucent fiber to copper), the router (R8000), or both to get the Internet connectivity restored. I upgraded to this revision straight from the version that came on it when I unboxed it 2 weeks ago (strangely enough, it asked if I really wanted to install an older firmware on it).

Any ideas?

I know that some ISP changes WAN IP daily. Maybe it is a reason of your problems. But for me it is working. My IP is changed some times, but not so often.

On the other hand I do not understand the role of R8000 in your LAN. And how R7800 is used with R8000.

Regarding "older firmware": sometime there could be such "warning". Just ignore it: it is more fresh ;)

Voxel.

I know that some ISP changes WAN IP daily. Maybe it is a reason of your problems. But for me it is working. My IP is changed some times, but not so often.

On the other hand I do not understand the role of R8000 in your LAN. And how R7800 is used with R8000.

Regarding "older firmware": sometime there could be such "warning". Just ignore it: it is more fresh ;)

Voxel.

That is my mistake, I meant R7800 (there isn't a second router of any kind on my network).

Thanks for the follow-up. I will call the ISP back and try to get a tech out.

Hi Voxel,
I hope you're having a good break. Some comments for when you return.

I started with LEDE on my R7800 routers installed at various locations, which is my preferred distribution for its flexibility, configurability, and openness. However, the ath10k wireless stack is not stable enough for real-world use so I have stopped using it.

Your firmware is the next best alternative, offering the stability of manufacturer firmware with additional flexibility and features. I have settled on your firmware for all my R7800 installations. I'm making little tweaks to get the functionality I need.

Some questions:

1) DNSCrypt: Could you compile DNSCrypt with plugins support? This would allow us to get increased performance as described here, and other useful features such as filtering.

2) DNSCrypt: NTP server passthrough. In LEDE, it's recommended to have DNS queries to the NTP server bypass DNSCrypt and go through standard DNS, in case the time is set wrong, so DNSCrypt would never work. Could this issue occur in your firmware?

3) dnsmasq: In LEDE, all entries in "etc / hosts" applies to all devices in the LAN. However in your firmware, it only applies to the router itself. Do you know how to make it apply to all devices in the LAN?

Thanks

Charles: I keep in mind your requests. Unfortunately regarding "3)" I was mistaken. I also fail to do that. Most probably it is necessary to investigate dnsmasq codes form firmware (Netgear has own version).

"1)" requires some additional checking. Plugins probably could be used if I remove "--disable-plugins" switch from Makfile. Filtering: I cannot answer definitely, but seems they are not disabled. Just some special config should be used.

"2)" depends on "3)".

Well. I just feel permanent lack of time... So I am not sure that I can do all this in nearest time, sorry.

Voxel.

Tested:

1. I connected my iphone to router GUI (Administration->Attached Devices page)
2. Switched of Wi-Fi in iphone settings (disconnected)
3. Waiting for a hour w/o connection of iphone to Wi-Fi
4. Connected to Wi-Fi, refresh the page again (Administration->Attached Devices page)
(I coud see all my devices attached, including iphone, autorefreshing is working)
5. Sorted attached devices by application
(I could see such sort)

No any crash. QoS DB 28th of April 2017. FW 1.0.2.32SF. Checking QoS proc id (qdiscman): the same 6122. Current last process id is 31186.

I just cannot reproduce.

Voxel.

May be i didnt try mobile. But the way pc response and mobile response will be different. Also i use to save the credential. Also it is mandate that the browser is still having the page. Not reloading it again .

I mean in my pc the page is alive and not closed. But in mobile it might be refreshed or try to reload. You will still be authenticated since idle timedout.

you can try this in pc. It will posssible crash the qos for sure. But ensure the credentials are saved in browser so you authenticate instantly instead of taking time to retype. thats one way even though it crashed normal.

I do sense this could be hardware failure or corrupt nvram or flash but this is 3rd device i am facing similar issue. Not with same client even with remote client .

If required i will give remote access to you via pm. You can check if you have time to debug which is causing. As per support its wiered my desktop pc was the cause. But i did crashed it yesterday on remote pc as well.

. . .
you can try this in pc. It will posssible crash the qos for sure. But ensure the credentials are saved in browser so you authenticate instantly instead of taking time to retype. thats one way even though it crashed normal.
. . .

OK. I'll check when my PC will be idle.

Voxel.

Hello @Voxel.
is possible for you to implement host-uniq patch?

I am not sure, but rather no. Netgear uses own version of PPP (already changed, not original version). I briefly checked the patch: at least pppd/plugins/rp-pppoe/plugin.c patch will be be failed. Too different. It is necessary to understand the logic to apply this patch.

Voxel.

OK. I'll check when my PC will be idle.

Voxel.

You also seen the streamboost wont restart via telnet when it is crashed. as it keep starting and then stop irrespective of the current running status.

Sorry I can understand only half of what you write.

From your video I can see only two problems with QoS page:

1. Download using Ethernet port on your computer MACHO is not refreshed (shows always 0)
2. Download using Wi-Fi does not display "expand" symbol i.e. "[+]"

You use Firefox. Did you try say Google Chrome? I do not have such problems, my Chrome shows current speed refreshing it automatically when I mark checkbox "Enable Auto Refreshing". And download speed is close to what I have from my ISP.

My QoS is working 3 days. According to procid. I.e. the same time as uptime of router.

Voxel.
I use Firefox Voxel, lateest version 54.0.1 as I type on macOS 10.12.5 and I don't have issues with + symbols not appearing or traffic not showing up. I was wondering if the user is using a adblocker or maybe NoScript and its interfering with the routerlogin page, I have my adblocker disabled for the routerlogin page myself to avoid possible conflicts.

I use Firefox Voxel, lateest version 54.0.1 as I type on macOS 10.12.5 and I don't have issues with + symbols not appearing or traffic not showing up. I was wondering if the user is using a adblocker or maybe NoScript and its interfering with the routerlogin page, I have my adblocker disabled for the routerlogin page myself to avoid possible conflicts.

Well, I was able to get "lack of [+]" symbol for notebook connected to router by Ethernet and Wi-Fi at the same time. I.e. by default all traffic goes through Ethernet port in such a case and Wi-Fi connection was idle and w/o "[+]". Probably it is just such design. But I could not get crash of QoS/browser or something like that. And my page was refreshed automatically showing current download/upload Mbps in Ethernet connection.

ulaganath: probably you should try something like "boot from Live CD/USB" and test your issues with clean environment. There are a lot of "Live CD/USB" in Internet. It is to avoid such side effects of adblockers and similar, antivirus etc.

All this is contradictory: first you reported that you have problems only with new QoS DB and old QoS DB was OK for you, now you have similar with old QoS... Something is wrong with your environment. IMO.

Voxel.

It could be since i have to shift to stock firmware for the Netgear engineer's to take remote. As yours was working fine and once they are done with the remote.

I did switched to your firmware 32 and downgraded. May be i need to reset it. But it started with crash.

+ symbol is nothing but the application view.

Also regarding Adblocker when this + symbol is gone for IE , chrome browser and even my mobile browser.

Why did i say crash. You can check the bar wont progress and your set priority will be reset to low for every devices may be 1 or 2 devices have mid level.

Reason is that service is not running and it wont know where to save and retrieve.

Also if it is crashed for sure is to check sory by application

If adblocker is the only reason i would not be able to see when i reboot the router and it is not always blank

Only instance is see is that it will or crashing when re-authentication is happening when idle timedout client request the web gui page access

I do remember Voxel mentioned Either UPNP or some services is hackable . I dont know if that is also causing this.

I always see port scan for my router on all ports

i dont know if any one is messing my router. As it keep changing it address and i do have complex password and also the local wifi password is not easy to hack.

I also have only 100mbps line so it not an overload for the QOS to crash.

Also i mentioned i can do that even on remote access. As that is one easy way to make it crash.

I cant explain this to engineer's

they can reproduce as you all say. How is it possible for 3 new hardware to show similar issues.

No sign of transfer
-ve transfer rate
sort by application blank
list of client priority reset to low and wont accept or comit the changes

Charles: I keep in mind your requests.

Thanks!

Unfortunately regarding "3)" I was mistaken. I also fail to do that. Most probably it is necessary to investigate dnsmasq codes form firmware (Netgear has own version).
I see. I'll look into it.

"1)" requires some additional checking. Plugins probably could be used if I remove "--disable-plugins" switch from Makfile. Filtering: I cannot answer definitely, but seems they are not disabled. Just some special config should be used.

In your next version of the firmware, if you could please remove that switch from the makefile, then I can utilise the default plugins by using a "dnscrypt-proxy.conf" file, plus additional config files for the filtering.

Well. I just feel permanent lack of time... So I am not sure that I can do all this in nearest time, sorry.

I completely understand. No need to apologize. I really appreciate that all of this takes time and effort and you've already invested so much already. You don't owe anyone anything, you're already providing an excellent firmware with excellent support. Anything else is just a bonus :)

Well, I was able to get "lack of [+]" symbol for notebook connected to router by Ethernet and Wi-Fi at the same time. I.e. by default all traffic goes through Ethernet port in such a case and Wi-Fi connection was idle and w/o "[+]". Probably it is just such design. But I could not get crash of QoS/browser or something like that. And my page was refreshed automatically showing current download/upload Mbps in Ethernet connection.

Voxel.
I must admit I never leave my browser in a position to check when coming out of sleep, I was just posting to say Firefox displays the GUI correctly, in normal usage, as I have never had any issues with streamboost function or devices not connecting. Sorry for not being clearer in that regard. I tend to just leave my router alone and get on with other things, and when I do log in its working fine. :)

Last edited:
ulaganath, just reset your router (using the button on the back in case you have corruption in your firmware) upload the firmware you want prior to this of course upload the firmware to the router and reset it again, then manually (do not use a backup) enter the settings you want and don't use QoS would be my suggestion. The logs you said you saw are normal and Netgear routers do throw up a lot of false positives. Make sure your router is set to not to use remote access and then just use it normally. Don't keep changing firmware leaving it logged in and doing resets.

I'm not sure why you are having such issues with QoS when Voxel cannot replicate them and a few of us have said we have no issues either. I think that should tell you its maybe not the QoS but your environment could be the issue. Scan your machine with a good AV and a stand alone scanner like Malwarebytes too. I truly think there is little that can be done from our end at this point. I wish you luck and hope by turning QoS off your router will work without issue. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!