What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.37SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

was this issue will ever be fixed. I know it is intel issue.
  • Intel7260/3160 has a connection problem with the R7800 when the HT160 is enabled. This issue is due to the Intel driver. Intel is looking into this.

I have Voxel's 1.0.2.37SF installed and when I check for a Firmware Update using the Netgear Firmware Update Assistant it states the following:

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware? (Yes) (No)

Current GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.288
New GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.299

Should I install this or not?

Better to do not do it.

Voxel.

Just found out Voxel firmware existed and am stoked. I have many reasons, but chief among them is the ability to port mask on port 123 UDP. ATT blocks source ports of 123 if you use their DMZ+ mode. Dumb. Nothing can use NTP properly. Especially devices with embedded firmware.

Can this FW mask source ports? I would prefer all ports are masked, but would appreciate being able to write my own rules too.

Better to do not do it.

Voxel.

I actually did upgrade the GUI as well as Voxel's 1.0.2.37SF version and I haven't encountered any issues yet. That said I have only just installed it and not fully played with it yet.

By the way, thank you Voxel for your hard work!

Just found out Voxel firmware existed and am stoked. I have many reasons, but chief among them is the ability to port mask on port 123 UDP. ATT blocks source ports of 123 if you use their DMZ+ mode. Dumb. Nothing can use NTP properly. Especially devices with embedded firmware.

Can this FW mask source ports? I would prefer all ports are masked, but would appreciate being able to write my own rules too.

There was something like this. Try to play with port 1234 and NETGEAR's NTP servers. They added the port 1234 to their servers AFAIK.

P.S.
Regarding 1234:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...me-behind-Uverse-GigaPower-modem/td-p/1254081

Voxel.

I actually did upgrade the GUI as well as Voxel's 1.0.2.37SF version and I haven't encountered any issues yet. That said I have only just installed it and not fully played with it yet.

By the way, thank you Voxel for your hard work!

There could be some minor issues like lack of Transmission button in NETGEAR downloader and lack of "Voxel" in firmware name :).

Voxel.

There was something like this. Try to play with port 1234 and NETGEAR's NTP servers. They added the port 1234 to their servers AFAIK.

P.S.
Regarding 1234:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...me-behind-Uverse-GigaPower-modem/td-p/1254081

Voxel.

Thanks for the link! Just read through all that. Looks like it applies only to the Netgear router NTP client. It seems that Netgear has already changed the port used to set router time, it was set correctly to the second. I was hoping entware or a custom utility could automatically change outgoing UDP 123 to something else. Am I SOL for the time being?

Loving this fw so far.

I wonder if using iptables from entware could do this exact thing. Should be a small matter to NAT outgoing UDP traffic on port 123. What do you all think about that? Is iptables easily added?

I wonder if using iptables from entware could do this exact thing. Should be a small matter to NAT outgoing UDP traffic on port 123. What do you all think about that? Is iptables easily added?

I would dig in a bit other direction. If you can change 123 to 1234 for your LAN clients and use NETGEAR's NTP servers it would be simplest solution. If not, I'd just try to setup NTP server on my router (Entware) and all clients should use my router.

iptables: NETGEAR uses own firewall. Use of direct iptables is a bit troublesome task. I had to use some tricks to modify its work.

Voxel.

I would dig in a bit other direction. If you can change 123 to 1234 for your LAN clients and use NETGEAR's NTP servers it would be simplest solution. If not, I'd just try to setup NTP server on my router (Entware) and all clients should use my router.

iptables: NETGEAR uses own firewall. Use of direct iptables is a bit troublesome task. I had to use some tricks to modify its work.

Voxel.

Some of my crappy IoT devices have hard coded NTP settings. I know, I know...

I'm thinking I can remove all rules from iptables except the port 123 NAT listed below. It worked when I tested from a Linux machine, but I have zero idea how NETGEAR will handle this. Only one way to find out for sure! haha

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p udp --dport 123 -j REDIRECT --to-port 1234

I can't find it in your readme guide. But @Voxel , didn't you write up at once point in time a small guide to be able to change the logon info when ssh'ing into the router? I swear I saw it..... somewhere....

I can't find it in your readme guide. But @Voxel , didn't you write up at once point in time a small guide to be able to change the logon info when ssh'ing into the router? I swear I saw it..... somewhere....

Sorry, I do not quite understand what do you mean. What is logon info?

Voxel.

The banner of your shell session. Like "Welcome to Voxel firmware", or "DD-WRT V3.0" , or "OpenWRT" etc....

I think in our unix systems at work we call it the motd (message of the day), not sure what it's called on a router (I guess the same).

Attachments

• Voxel.png
    Voxel.png
    2 KB · Views: 691
Do you mean "Welcome to Nighthawk!" welcome screen? It is in /etc/banner file. You can add your own even using ANSI colors.

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel. For whatever reason, I thought you documented something about that out.

I have a separate question. I am thinking of installing entware to gain a few packages. Is the unit compatible with Entware-ng repo? Or should we use your specially compiled repo, custom for cortex?

I just think if you ever become bored, and give up support.

Thanks Voxel. For whatever reason, I thought you documented something about that out.

I have a separate question. I am thinking of installing entware to gain a few packages. Is the unit compatible with Entware-ng repo? Or should we use your specially compiled repo, custom for cortex?

I just think if you ever become bored, and give up support.
You can use official Entware-ng, but I would suggest to use my version of Entware-ng-3x. First, it is optimized especially for R7500/R7800 and R9000 (e.g. guys from Entware team reported that my version is in 30 per cent faster for some tests even for Cortex-A7). Second, my initial scripts in initial tar are adapted for use with these routers. And third, it has no sense to use Entware-ng with kernel 3.x. My version is Entware-ng-3x i.e. for kernel 3.x.

P.S.
BTW, I plan to release my new version in nearest time.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!