What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.37SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if someone can post a dropbox or google drive link.

i cant download in restricted place. those used to work.

Info for Entware users: Entware is upgraded. It is enough to run:

Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

to upgrade your version.

Voxel.

Hello Voxel, thanks a lot for your great firmware. I changed from DD-WRT and LEDE and the wireless performance is much improved.

What I'm missing is following:

1. I want to create a net-wall rule, which redirects all DNS traffic of my clients to the DNS of my router (I'm using DNScrypt). With IPtables at LEDE the rules were following (192.168.1.1 is the IP of my router):

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1

Can you help me with that? I don't know how to set it up.

2. Is it possible to use a custom DDNS provider with entware, for example? Or could you add more DDNS providers in future versions? Netgear isn't really giving us a choice...

3. Can you add a feature from Asuswrt / Ubiquiti APs? On both you can set a minimum RSSI, for example of -70db. If the client gets a lower RSSI, it gets disconnected automatically.
This is really useful if you use several devices in access point mode. You don't get sticky clients with that.

Else I love the experience of your firmware. Fire and forget. :)

torrents downloaded by transmission are created as root and can't be deleted by guest (networks share user).

Had problem with this fw, could not obtain full ISP speed (200 Mbps) when doing the QOS Speedtest. Kept under 130 Mbps, played around with enabling / disabling traffic meter and QOS itselve but remained around 130 Mbps. Going back to Netgears V1.0.2.36 and 205 Mbps.
Any idea?

Had problem with this fw, could not obtain full ISP speed (200 Mbps) when doing the QOS Speedtest. Kept under 130 Mbps, played around with enabling / disabling traffic meter and QOS itselve but remained around 130 Mbps. Going back to Netgears V1.0.2.36 and 205 Mbps.
Any idea?

Do not go with the Netgear stock version 1.0.2.36 if you use an external drive connected to the R7800. There is a bug in their software that does not read the disk size correctly. If you must use a stock version, use version 1.0.2.32 or wait until Netgear fixes this bug.

See posts #19 and 23 in the "R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.36" discussion:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-firmware-version-1-0-2-36.41329/

@Voxel Hi , I use your firmware which is good,however I am thinking of switching isp here in the uk to sky,I currently use a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem,but to use Sky as an isp DHCP 60&61 is required on the R7800,does your firmware included this as I think the stock does not and I’m not sure how I check if it’s available in the GUI.
Thanks for any help

Hi I posted this at beginning of thread and not sure if it was seen, would appreciate some help with this as I would prefer to stay on Voxel firmware instead of flashing to DD-WRT to achieve this so was hoping this is possible

Thank for any help

Do not go with the Netgear stock version 1.0.2.36 if you use an external drive connected to the R7800. There is a bug in their software that does not read the disk size correctly. If you must use a stock version, use version 1.0.2.32 or wait until Netgear fixes this bug.

I don't use external drives, my Synology is connected directly to the Neatgear and takes care of storage work. But thanks for the information! Highly appreciated.

I wouldn't do that considering 1.0.2.36 is a security update to plug a command injection vulnerability.

https://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000049369/

I wouldn't do that considering 1.0.2.36 is a security update to plug a command injection vulnerability.

https://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000049369/

What good is fixing a possible vulnerability when they (Netgear) completely broke one of the the key functions (network access to external drives) of the R7800. I'll stick with Voxel's software.

At this point, I trust Voxel's capabilities much more than that of Netgear. To let a bug of this magnitude out in released software, Netgear obviously never tested the external drive feature. Makes me wonder what else Netgear failed to test?

What good is fixing a possible vulnerability when they (Netgear) completely broke one of the the key functions (network access to external drives) of the R7800. I'll stick with Voxel's software.

At this point, I trust Voxel's capabilities much more than that of Netgear. To let a bug of this magnitude out in released software, Netgear obviously never tested the external drive feature. Makes me wonder what else Netgear failed to test?
I would agree as long as Voxel's code has the security fix' rolled in which he is generally pretty good about when he is made aware, it took a few days for Netgear to mention this one which wasn't good. Have you contacted @NETGEAR Guy so he can pass your findings on to engineering? The more people do the better for those that don't use or know of Voxels firmware or prefer to use Netgears which would be probably the large percentage or buyers I would imagine. <sigh> I would also say that the key function of the R7800 is to be just a router. Anything else like network access to drives is just gravy.

Last edited:
I would agree as long as Voxel's code has the security fix' rolled in which he is generally pretty good about when he is made aware, it took a few days for Netgear to mention this one which wasn't good. Have you contacted @NETGEAR Guy so he can pass your findings on to engineering? The more people do the better for those that don't use or know of Voxels firmware or prefer to use Netgears which would be probably the large percentage or buyers I would imagine. <sigh> I would also say that the key function of the R7800 is to be just a router. Anything else like network access to drives is just gravy.

If you look at the Netgear forums there are quite a few R7800 owners with the external drive concern. At your suggestion, I sent this information to the NETGEAR guy.

If all we wanted was a basic Router we would not have bought an expensive R7800. The main reason I (and others) bought this particular router was for the eSATA port so we could have a working network drive. For us, this is a key function...

1. I want to create a net-wall rule, which redirects all DNS traffic of my clients to the DNS of my router (I'm using DNScrypt). With IPtables at LEDE the rules were following (192.168.1.1 is the IP of my router):
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1

2. Is it possible to use a custom DDNS provider with entware, for example? Or could you add more DDNS providers in future versions? Netgear isn't really giving us a choice...
1. Netgear uses his own firewall. Read the "readme" documentation of the Voxel, there are some examples how to make custom rules to netgear firewall.

2. I don't think Voxel will make changes to default graphical interface. If you want this in GUI you should ask directy the Netgear developers to add more ddns providers.
But in Voxel you have at least two options using Entware:
-install Cron and make a custom shell script executed by Cron. https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40204#comment-40204
-install Inadyn, this is a DDNS client;

The thing I do not like is that we do not have a way to automatically trigger a shell script on WAN IP change. I miss this future from Asus Merlin firmware. On wan IP change Merlin executed /jffs/scripts/ddns-start with the new IP as parameter. So no need for cron job or external ip wan request. https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS

Last edited:
If you look at the Netgear forums there are quite a few R7800 owners with the external drive concern. At your suggestion, I sent this information to the NETGEAR guy.

If all we wanted was a basic Router we would not have bought an expensive R7800. The main reason I (and others) bought this particular router was for the eSATA port so we could have a working network drive. For us, this is a key function...
I'm not saying its not, just how Netgear look at it probably. When Voxel gets back ask about esata, I'm sure he once mentioned something about that port but I could be mistaken. Hope this gets fixed asap.

Hello everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right section, if not I do apologize. I got a gig service through my isp, but my lan ports on my 7800 is only giving me 600 megs download speeds with the latest firmware. Would this custom firmware enable me to achieve the proper speed? I'm expecting around 900 megs download speed. Thank You

Hello everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right section, if not I do apologize. I got a gig service through my isp, but my lan ports on my 7800 is only giving me 600 megs download speeds with the latest firmware. Would this custom firmware enable me to achieve the proper speed? I'm expecting around 900 megs download speed. Thank You

Okay, I'd suggest trying an experiment with either stock or Voxel firmware, whichever you're currently using. Reset your router to factory defaults, and create the simplest configuration you can. Don't turn on traffic meter, QoS, or anything else, just leave everything off other than what you absolutely need. Then retest your speed. What I'm getting at is that there are configuration settings that will disable hardware NAT and CTF. I suspect that you'll see better results with essentially default configuration.

@Voxel Hi , I use your firmware which is good,however I am thinking of switching isp here in the uk to sky,I currently use a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem,but to use Sky as an isp DHCP 60&61 is required on the R7800,does your firmware included this as I think the stock does not and I’m not sure how I check if it’s available in the GUI.
Thanks for any help

Hi I posted this at beginning of thread and not sure if it was seen, would appreciate some help with this as I would prefer to stay on Voxel firmware instead of flashing to DD-WRT to achieve this so was hoping this is possible

Thank for any help

not sure if it helps but i'm using this firmware with the black Sky modem/router, no problems that i've noticed. previously i was using the stock firmware. not very expert at the setup, but in my config the Sky modem is responsible for connecting to the WAN, the R7800 is just a LAN client of the Sky modem (DHCP and all). everything else is connected to the R7800.

@Voxel

I previously used an R7000 with stock firmware. I had IPv6 issues with it when using openSUSE Linux - it would not send a renewed IPv6 address when requested by wicked (the openSUSE network manager). My question is, do you have any improvements in your firmware for the IPv6 server? If so, I might consider in getting an R7800 router

@Voxel

I previously used an R7000 with stock firmware. I had IPv6 issues with it when using openSUSE Linux - it would not send a renewed IPv6 address when requested by wicked (the openSUSE network manager). My question is, do you have any improvements in your firmware for the IPv6 server? If so, I might consider in getting an R7800 router

I use the R7800 as a wired-only router with the Orbi as an AP. The R7800 has been up for about 5 weeks since I last flashed it, with IPv6 turned on. IPv6 has been working well...my clients are either Windows, iOS, or Android, and all have been fine with IPv6. Only have a Linux VM at the moment, and it also shows that it is using IPv6 when I run the usual test web sites in the Chrome browser on the VM. Also, the AP clients, including mobile clients, are doing fine with IPv6.

Not sure if this answers your question, but I'm pretty happy with my IPv6 experience with Voxel firmware on my home network.

Thanks for any help

Thank for any help

It would be great for UK Sky customers to have this feature in the Voxel firmware like RMerlin implemented in his own customised firmware for Asus routers, that is Vendor Class Identifier String (option 60) and Client Identifier String (option 61)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!