What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.44SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel,
Just switched an R7800 Router and two AP's from DD-WRT to 44SF, everything worked beautifully and double the LAN speed. For my next conquest, I will attempt to get openvpn running, it was a nightmare on DDWRT. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

++ UPDATE OpenVPN took 5 minutes to get operational thanks to the WebGUI, night and day compared to DD-WRT

Last edited:
No. If you download this setssh.tar you could see that authorized_keys in this archive is dummy. You should follow instruction in README:

4) Place your own authorized_keys file (obligatory) and your own server keys (optionally) above generic files you got after untar in the root of stick.

P.S.
BTW if you are more or less experienced in Linux better to follow alternative method described in Appendix A. Step-by-step.

Voxel.

Voxel,

Can you tell my why the bufferbloat on the R7800 is so bad no matter what firmware is installed? I have 100 mbps down and with the R7800 I constantly get an F rating with or without QOS. I put back in line my R8500 and I get A rating every time with QOS and B without. Something is not right with the R7800 and I cannot put my finger on it. Is it just the hardware?

CC

Voxel,

Can you tell my why the bufferbloat on the R7800 is so bad no matter what firmware is installed? I have 100 mbps down and with the R7800 I constantly get an F rating with or without QOS. I put back in line my R8500 and I get A rating every time with QOS and B without. Something is not right with the R7800 and I cannot put my finger on it. Is it just the hardware?

CC

You know, it is very specific stuff. Specific for your connection type/ISP etc. For example I always have A+ rating w/o any changes with the same dslreport. BTW the last is not always correct.

You can tune it for your case. How (from telnet/ssh console):

1. Congestion control. It is set as "yeah" now. You can try to set the following:

Code:
net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = yeah vegas reno cubic westwood highspeed illinois
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = yeah

i.e. to set e.g. cubic you should run:

Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic

2. rmem_max/wmem_max. Currently they are:

Code:
net.core.rmem_max = 524288
net.core.wmem_max = 524288

You can decrease these values to get more good results. The same:

Code:
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=163840

After you find your values you can correct /etc/sysctl.conf to make these changes permanent.

See for example:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-32sf.39657/#post-330607

when avtella could found for the best values for him. (Just to get good scores ;) )

Voxel.

Last edited:
You know, it is very specific stuff. Specific for your connection type/ISP etc. For example I always have A+ rating w/o any changes with the same dslreport. BTW the last is not always correct.

You can tune it for your case. How (from telnet/ssh console):

1. Congestion control. It is set as "yeah" now. You can try to set the following:

Code:
net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = yeah vegas reno cubic westwood highspeed illinois
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = yeah

i.e. to set e.g. cubic you should run:

Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic

2. rmem_max/wmem_max. Currently they are:

Code:
net.core.rmem_max = 524288
net.core.wmem_max = 524288

You can decrease these values to get more good results. The same:

Code:
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=163840

After you find your values you can correct /etc/sysctl.conf to make these changes permanent.

See for example:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-32sf.39657/#post-330607

when avtella could found for the best values for him. (Just to get good scores ;) )

Voxel.

Voxel,

This is really over my head as I am not a Linux programer. Is there any way you can include this fix in the
build available for d/l?

Problem for me is to get the SSH access with the USB key. I can copy and paste the commands but don't have linux
on my computer to format the USB in the proper format and then generate the key. Can you or any user help?

I tried to use Telnet to issue the commands but many of the commands do not work. Can all commands be used strictly in Telnet?

CC

Voxel,
Problem for me is to get the SSH access with the USB key. I can copy and paste the commands but don't have linux
on my computer to format the USB in the proper format and then generate the key. Can you or any user help?

Telnet should work. How are you connecting? Are you using Putty?

I can help you get ssh working. Do this to get ssh using Cygwin on Windows. When this is done, let me know.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/41560/how-to-get-ssh-command-line-access-to-windows-7-using-cygwin/

Voxel,

This is really over my head as I am not a Linux programer. Is there any way you can include this fix in the
build available for d/l?

I tried to use Telnet to issue the commands but many of the commands do not work. Can all commands be used strictly in Telnet?

CC
Guys it work even using telnet. I do not force you to use ssh.

Voxel.

I'm sorry you are not satisfied with your "X4S" router(s).
If you have not yet returned it(them), I'd be grateful if you could test this - for the community.

I was able to install the OpenVPN client but never really fixed the intermittent OpenVPN client disconnection. I found out later that you need to automate the script execution & add a crontab entry to run every 5 minutes to fix the issue of disconnect.
First you should try to understand what is wrong:
You can also change (in .ovpn) "verb 3" to "verb 4" or even "verb 5" to get more logging of what happens when your connection is lost.

Try to fix it simply by adding this line to your .ovpn-file:
keepalive 10 60

If that is not enough, also add:
remap-usr1 SIGHUP

I also need to bypass the OpenVPN client tunnel for me get WAN access for my Synology NAS that I used as a web server. For these, I need to get a SSH access.
This can be done with the Netgear Genie GUI:
Advanced: Advanced Setup: VLAN/Bridge Settings: Enable VLAN/Bridge group: By bridge group: Wired Ports: <check the physical port you have connected the NAS to> + Apply

So yesterday, I decided to replaced this router with Asus RT-AC86U.
You have had 2 R7800 routers?
December 17 you wrote "I ended up returning the X4S & replacing it with Asus RT-AC1900P. "
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...4s-look-for-something-else.42788/#post-365249

Sincerely yours

The commands that Voxel posted have nothing to do with LINUX. These are just commands that can be run on the router while connected to the router using a TELNET program. Any telnet program will work as long as you have the TELNET feature enabled on the router under 192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Configure the telnet program to connect at the routers IP address and use port 23 is all you need. When you connect the telnet program to the routers IP address and port, it will ask you the PW for the router, so same PW you set up for the Admin log in PW is used here.

When you get logged in, just copy and paste Voxels commands into the telnet program at the command prompt and hit enter. You can make changes to the commands as needed as well.

I agree with Voxel that DSLR speed test can be inaccurate at times. It also depends on what test server there tool finds as well. You can also configure that tool to use different servers as well. So many factors there.

Also be sure when your speed testing to use LAN cable connections with the test PC and the router.

Wireless:
27429336.png

Wired:
27429676.png

This is using my R7800 just now.

Also a good test is to speed test with out the router online and test directly with the ISP modem/ONT.

Voxel,

build available for d/l?

CC

Last edited:
I'm getting killed with Bufferbloat with my cable connection and R7800 router, scoring a D on every pass of the test at: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

On the other hand, my download-upload speeds are exceeding my account's specs, and my network is humming away perfectly with 100% stability (thanks to Voxel's firmware, I think).

Oh well,
Anton

The commands that Voxel posted have nothing to do with LINUX. These are just commands that can be run on the router while connected to the router using a TELNET program. Any telnet program will work as long as you have the TELNET feature enabled on the router under 192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Configure the telnet program to connect at the routers IP address and use port 23 is all you need. When you connect the telnet program to the routers IP address and port, it will ask you the PW for the router, so same PW you set up for the Admin log in PW is used here.

When you get logged in, just copy and paste Voxels commands into the telnet program at the command prompt and hit enter. You can make changes to the commands as needed as well.

I agree with Voxel that DSLR speed test can be inaccurate at times. It also depends on what test server there tool finds as well. You can also configure that tool to use different servers as well. So many factors there.

Also be sure when your speed testing to use LAN cable connections with the test PC and the router.

Wireless:
27429336.png

Wired:
27429676.png

Also a good test is to speed test with out the router online and test directly with the ISP modem/ONT.

Wireless:
27429336.png

Wired:
27429676.png

I can tell you this, the R8500 is much better for throughput and bufferbloat. I tested this several times today to be sure before I returned the R7800. Here were my results after several tests:

R7800:
wired averaged a C at best
wireless averaged F every time

R8500
wired averaged A+ every time
wireless averaged A+ every time.

This is with a 100 mbps down/10 mbps up
QOS on in both tests.

The bufferbloat was also exposed in the following test for both routers:

ping -t 8.8.4.4
while running the ping test I ran a speedtest and watch the time for the ms
R7800 ms went from 24 to 900 when the speedtest ran
R8500 ms went from 24 to 58 when speedtest was running

Another sign of the R7800 inability to control the bufferbloat. While watching 4K streams at times I was getting skipping frames due to the bufferbloat. After all the facts I put back the R8500 and everything is perfect again. The R7800 was a real disappointment to say the least. I was hoping that the Voxel firmware would help the issue but I could not get it to control the bufferbloat.

CC

What ISP Speeds do you have UP and Down?
What ISP Mfr and model# modem do you using with the R7800?
How are you testing speedtests with DSLR? Wired or LAN cable?

I'm getting killed with Bufferbloat with my cable connection and R7800 router, scoring a D on every pass of the test at: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

On the other hand, my download-upload speeds are exceeding my account's specs, and my network is humming away perfectly with 100% stability (thanks to Voxel's firmware, I think).

Oh well,
Anton

Whats the Mfr and Model # of your ISP modem?

I'm seeing constant A+ BB with DSLR. Been good since v44SF came out. Using Dynamic QoS and Auto tested speeds.

Pings are 20-70ms wired.

I have 3 DISH Joeys and 1 Hopper connected and all do great streaming from the R7800. However I don't have 4K.

Possible how you had yours configured and or how you tested had a role in what you saw.

Doesn't matter now that you gave up on the R7800. Enjoy the 8500. :confused: I'm enjoying my R7800 for sure.

I can tell you this, the R8500 is much better for throughput and bufferbloat. I tested this several times today to be sure before I returned the R7800. Here were my results after several tests:

R7800:
wired averaged a C at best
wireless averaged F every time

R8500
wired averaged A+ every time
wireless averaged A+ every time.

This is with a 100 mbps down/10 mbps up
QOS on in both tests.

The bufferbloat was also exposed in the following test for both routers:

ping -t 8.8.4.4
while running the ping test I ran a speedtest and watch the time for the ms
R7800 ms went from 24 to 900 when the speedtest ran
R8500 ms went from 24 to 58 when speedtest was running

Another sign of the R7800 inability to control the bufferbloat. While watching 4K streams at times I was getting skipping frames due to the bufferbloat. After all the facts I put back the R8500 and everything is perfect again. The R7800 was a real disappointment to say the least. I was hoping that the Voxel firmware would help the issue but I could not get it to control the bufferbloat.

CC

Hi e38BimmerFN,
Glad to see you are from Boise, ID, :) , met too.
From the speed test below, it seems before & after are nearly the same, doesn't it?

Test before updating QoS db:

v44SF

After update:
UI:
Latest test result (10:55 Dec 21, 2017)
DOWNLOAD UPLOAD
Mbps 10.77Mbps

Think v44 will be the best currently.

Thank you Voxel!!!

Yes there about the same. Which is good. I always test about 3 tests back to back and with two different server sites to get a good comparison. As some server sites maybe busier than others or result in slower speed results.

Good to see someone from Boise too. ;) East side here out by lucky peak.

Hi e38BimmerFN,
Glad to see you are from Boise, ID, :) , met too.
From the speed test below, it seems before & after are nearly the same, doesn't it?

Overall, guys, you should bother with bufferbloat _only_ if you really have speed degradation. Dslreport speed measurement is not perfect and always accurate tool. It is not game to get high scores to win. For example I tried to test with this dslreport my work place connection powered by professional CISCO equipment with cost of several thousands USD (compare e.g. with the cost of R7800). And what I have? My rating for bufferbloat is D, but neither me nor my colleagues have any problems with speed. It is much faster and more stable than my home place with A+ rating (R7800). The same R7800 with the same firmware show different results with dslreport as it could be clear from this thread.

Voxel.

Bufferbloat with me is A down and B up, (thinkbroadband speed test) and A+ with DSL reports and that's with bad single thread issues. No speed test is perfect though and how your traffic gets to their servers and any network congestion in a link could I suppose effect your result. Oh and I can stream 4K HDR without skipping just fine on the R7800 from Amazon Prime and Netflix.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Last edited:
What ISP Speeds do you have UP and Down?
What ISP Mfr and model# modem do you using with the R7800?
How are you testing speedtests with DSLR? Wired or LAN cable?

200mbps down, 35 up.
Arris modem Docsis 3 (have cable, voice, and internet plan)
Testing from Desktop pc ethernet-connected to router.

What model# Arris modem?

200mbps down, 35 up.
Arris modem Docsis 3 (have cable, voice, and internet plan)
Testing from Desktop pc ethernet-connected to router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!