What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.46SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I really cannot correct everything. No wishes and no time to convert my USB to NTFS or other format for more testing.
Thank you for your detailed answer. I just tested it with an FAT16 USB stick and the problems are the same. I will do further tests with an stock image when I have some free time. I dont want you to correct everthing, but I have to figure out with features I need or which work so that I can decide which firmware I will use :) I thougth the downloader could be a nice addon, so will try it again with the stock image.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I just tested it with an FAT16 USB stick and the problems are the same. I will do further tests with an stock image when I have some free time. I dont want you to correct everthing, but I have to figure out with features I need or which work so that I can decide which firmware I will use :) I thougth the downloader could be a nice addon, so will try it again with the stock image.

If you need stable downloader, you can try to use pyload. It is with own nice WebGUI and it is working. At least I was able to download this ISO from ftp w/o problems. Installation from Entware. There is detailed instruction:

https://www.hqt.ro/pyload-download-manager-through-entware/

Only in step 4) command "/usr/sbin/openssl" should be replaced by "/usr/bin/openssl"

Screenshots of pyload GUI:

https://github.com/pyload/pyload/wiki/Screenshots

Voxel.

Last edited:
If you need stable downloader, you can try to use pyload.
Yes, that could be an option. But I know only some basics of linux and I would take too much time to figure out (even with your detailed readme.doc) how to setup SSH, Entware, e.g... Perhaps this summer, when I am finished with other duties :/

Yesterday I just plugged in a FAT16 usb stick in addition to an EXT4 formatted hdd in my R7800 and I did not restart the router. With both devices the problem with the folder tree (400 Bad Request...) appeared.

Today I erased the hdd and reformatted it with NTFS and did not give the hdd a device name on my windows pc. Then I restarted the router with the hdd (no usb stick) and the folder selection in the popup windows works fine.
When I insert the usb stick (without device name) the folder selection does not work until the router is restarted.
When I first name the usb stick on the windows pc and then plug it into the router, the folder selection does not work, even after a reboot.

So you must not name the usb devices and restart the router after plugging in a new device to keep the folder selection working :)

Last edited:
But I know only some basics of linux and I would take too much time to figure out (even with your detailed readme.doc) how to setup SSH, Entware, e.g...
Well, up to you. In general, for this it is enough to use telnet. And installation of Entware just mean unpack of tarball on your flash.

Voxel.

Voxel,
Heard back from NetGear Guy. It's been reported and reproduced. He passed it on to the Engineers. Hopefully will see a fix next update I hope.

Thank you.

I tried: something similar. Probably it is a bug in stock. I did not change the scheme for AP. I am using R7800 as an AP, but it gets IP using main router assignment (address reservation). When I tried static IP I was able to enter to AP, but it displays problems with Internet (the last if OK however).

Voxel.

For users wanting AP mode to work on v4x FW, do the following: From NetGear Guy.

1. Load v1.0.2.38 and set to AP mode with static IP - working
2. Update to v1.0.2.44 (with out doing any factory resets) - working

Can someone can test to see if upgrading to Voxels v46SF still works after loading v38SF?

Do not do the following or you will see the problem in AP Mode:
1. Reset to factory running v1.0.2.44
2. Set to AP mode with static IP and receive "site cannot be reached" You get and error or maybe see that you can't access the UI in AP mode router at all or can't find it's IP address on a connected client table like what happened with mine.

Hopefully this will be fixed in next OEM FW update for the R7800.

Well, up to you. In general, for this it is enough to use telnet. And installation of Entware just mean unpack of tarball on your flash.
Ok I just followed your readme (first ssh) and copied entware on an ext2 usb stick, rebooted the router and I see some links in /opt/* to /tmp/mnt/sda1
So do I get it right: Entware is always installed only on the usb device and never on the routers filesystem itself? So I have to reformat my usb hdd back to ext4 because it will not work with ntfs?

For users wanting AP mode to work on v4x FW, do the following: From NetGear Guy.

1. Load v1.0.2.38 and set to AP mode with static IP - working
2. Update to v1.0.2.44 (with out doing any factory resets) - working

Can someone can test to see if upgrading to Voxels v46SF still works after loading v38SF?

Do not do the following or you will see the problem in AP Mode:
1. Reset to factory running v1.0.2.44
2. Set to AP mode with static IP and receive "site cannot be reached" You get and error or maybe see that you can't access the UI in AP mode router at all or can't find it's IP address on a connected client table like what happened with mine.

Hopefully this will be fixed in next OEM FW update for the R7800.

I concur with this information having never factory reset since acquiring this router (1.0.2.36 was the factory installed version, I think). After installing each released NG firmware up to NG 1.0.2.44, I decided to give Voxel's firmware a try. Again, no factory reset has been done. Everything works perfectly.

Thanks for confirming this. I have to get v38SF back on then update to v.46SF as my unit is not accessible at all. o_O

I concur with this information having never factory reset since acquiring this router (1.0.2.36 was the factory installed version, I think). After installing each released NG firmware up to NG 1.0.2.44, I decided to give Voxel's firmware a try. Again, no factory reset has been done. Everything works perfectly.

Thanks for confirming this. I have to get v38SF back on then update to v.46SF as my unit is not accessible at all.
Well, probably it is enough to backup your settings when you have 1.0.2.38SF and restore them after factory reset with 1.0.2.46SF. I am not sure, but I had to do something when I was preparing 46SF (there were problems even in router mode). Not sure because there was several increments in development (intermediate versions).

I just can suppose that some settings are missed in nvram when doing factory reset in the stock 1.0.2.44.

Voxel.

Ok I just followed your readme (first ssh) and copied entware on an ext2 usb stick, rebooted the router and I see some links in /opt/* to /tmp/mnt/sda1
So do I get it right: Entware is always installed only on the usb device and never on the routers filesystem itself? So I have to reformat my usb hdd back to ext4 because it will not work with ntfs?

For test just try to run:

Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

And yes, only on external USB (router filesystem is not so large) and again yes: external hdd to ext4. BTW it is better to use ext4 even for USB stick.

Voxel.

Well, I'm going to have to factory reset anyways. I may just factory reset and get back to router mode. I don't need AP mode on the R7800 and the issue in the hands of NG now. I'll probably come back and test it out if and when they release the next FW update and you have had a chance to massage it into your build. :D

Well, probably it is enough to backup your settings when you have 1.0.2.38SF and restore them after factory reset with 1.0.2.46SF. I am not sure, but I had to do something when I was preparing 46SF (there were problems even in router mode). Not sure because there was several increments in development (intermediate versions).

I just can suppose that some settings are missed in nvram when doing factory reset in the stock 1.0.2.44.

Voxel.

For test just try to run:
Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

Code:
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/bin$ opkg update
Downloading http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/Entware-3x-Voxel/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/packages
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/bin$ opkg upgrade
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/bin$
So far it seems to work. Then I tried to install pyload with its dependencies and it failed at this point
Code:
opkg install python-imglib
Unknown package 'python-imglib'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package python-imglib.
So this leads to some missing functions...
Code:
python pyLoadCore.py -s
Choose your Language / Wähle deine Sprache ([en], de, fr, it, es, nl, sv, ru, pl, cs, sr, pt_BR):

Welcome to the pyLoad Configuration Assistent.
It will check your system and make a basic setup in order to run pyLoad.

The value in brackets [] always is the default value,
in case you don't want to change it or you are unsure what to choose, just hit enter.
Don't forget: You can always rerun this assistent with --setup or -s parameter, when you start pyLoadCore.
If you have any problems with this assistent hit STRG-C,
to abort and don't let him start with pyLoadCore automatically anymore.

When you are ready for system check, hit enter.
## System Check ##
Python Version: OK
pycurl: OK
sqlite3: OK

pycrypto: OK
py-OpenSSL: OK

py-imaging: missing
tesseract: OK

PyQt4: missing

jinja2: OK
beaker: OK
JS engine: missing

System check finished, hit enter to see your status report.
## Status ##

Features available: container decrypting, ssl connection, Webinterface

Featues missing:

no Captcha Recognition available
Only needed for some hosters and as freeuser.

Gui not available
The Graphical User Interface.

no JavaScript engine found
You will need this for some Click'N'Load links. Install Spidermonkey, ossp-js, pyv8 or rhino
You can abort the setup now and fix some dependicies if you want.
Continue with setup? ([y]/n):
I just continued because I don't know how to install python-imglib, etc... and in the end the pyload webinterface is running and the download seems to work.

/EDIT:
With the help of this https://github.com/pyload/pyload/issues/2645 I managed the missing python-imglib error.

Last edited:
I just continued because I don't know how to install python-imglib, etc... and in the end the pyload webinterface is running and the download seems to work.
IMO you have just ignore this. GUI is not needed. WebGUI is needed. I had the same error, but succeed to start pyload WebGUI.

Voxel.

Yes, I will reinstall pyload again when I have reformatted my hdd back to ext4 and write a short summery.
Btw, I just wanted to check if it still running but the usb stick is not recognized any more, even after a restart of the router. I hope its only related to the crappy usb stick... I have to check later when I am back home :/

Now another problem:
I cant create folders via ftp connection on my usb devices (no matter if fat usb stick oder ntfs hdd), the ftp client says "operation not permitted". But I can creat new files on the usb device or rename or move folders :confused:
I tried it with or without read/write access password in the adv. settings, restartet the router... no change.
Creating folders via nfs works, but that isnt an option for me, because my backup progamm in my smartphone uses ftp.

Could anybody please check if that is a general problem? I think some time ago it worked...

I found the config file of the ftp server and I think that everything is set correctly:

Code:
root@R7800:/tmp$ cat proftpd.conf
ServerName              NETGEAR-R7800
ServerType              standalone
UseReverseDNS           off
Umask                   022
Port                    21
MaxInstances            30
AllowOverwrite          on
AuthOrder               mod_auth_unix.c
ScoreboardFile          /tmp/run/proftpd.scoreboard
PidFile                 /tmp/run/proftpd.pid
UseEncoding             UTF-8 UTF-8
DefaultServer           on
<IfModule mod_delay.c>
        DelayEngine off
</IfModule>
<Global>
        AllowOverwrite          on
        User                    root
        Group                   root
        DefaultRoot             ~
        <Directory /tmp/ftpadmin/shares/USB_1>
        AllowOverwrite    on
                <Limit DIRS>
                        DenyAll
                        AllowUser admin
                </limit>
                <Limit Read>
                        DenyAll
                        AllowUser admin
                </Limit>
                <Limit Write>
                        DenyAll
                        AllowUser admin
                </Limit>
        </Directory>
        <Directory /tmp/ftpadmin/shares/Medienserver>
        AllowOverwrite    on
                <Limit DIRS>
                        DenyAll
                        AllowUser admin
                        AllowUser guest
                </limit>
                <Limit Read>
                        DenyAll
                        AllowUser admin
                        AllowUser guest
                </Limit>
                <Limit Write>
                        DenyAll
                        AllowUser admin
                        AllowUser guest
                </Limit>
        </Directory>
</Global>
        Include /tmp/ftp_anony.conf
DefaultAddress    192.168.178.5

/EDIT: I just restored factory defaults with Voxels 1.0.2.46SF and the problem still exists. After a downgrade to the official 1.0.2.44 folder creation via ftp works. Updated again to 1.0.2.46SF and cant create folders :/

Last edited:
Hey Voxel, I see that you have a .47SF available on your online firmware repository...is that ready for release yet?

Thanks!

Looks like it, as it is available for download and release notes are posted on his site, probably will post it here soon.

Done that NICE work as allways Voxel :D:)
The GUI looks nice now with the changes

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!