What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.46SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1.0.2.47SF:

1. Latest QoS DB is included into firmware (23 Oct 2017).
2. Disk mount scheme is changed to correct problems with folder browser in NETGEAR Downloader (reported by cordezz).
3. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.43.8->1.43.9.
4. ethtool package is upgaded 4.13->4.15.
5. libubox package is upgraded 2018-01-07->2018-02-08.
6. netatalk package is upgraded 2.2.1->2.2.6
7. Some "clip-art" changes in WebGUI.

Hi Voxel
Im new to this. Im about to instal a new A4S. Is there a basic set of instructions on how to instal your software? Don't want to do anything too complicated other than have the best firmware running on the router

Just flash it like an original netgear firmware. Your find further detailed instructions in voxels readme.doc

Use IE11 or FF browsers for best installation.
I recommend a factory reset before installing Voxels FW. Factory reset once more after installation then setup from scratch. You can upgrade voxels FW with out doing a reset after this unless there is a problem.

1.0.2.47SF:

1. Latest QoS DB is included into firmware (23 Oct 2017).
2. Disk mount scheme is changed to correct problems with folder browser in NETGEAR Downloader (reported by cordezz).
3. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.43.8->1.43.9.
4. ethtool package is upgaded 4.13->4.15.
5. libubox package is upgraded 2018-01-07->2018-02-08.
6. netatalk package is upgraded 2.2.1->2.2.6
7. Some "clip-art" changes in WebGUI.

Found this myself...the reason that I asked Voxel if the .47SF version was ready is that he has expressed a preference for announcing new releases here himself. Don't know if this announcement occurs when a certain level of testing is reached, or if Voxel just wants to be able to add any caveats or extra information above and beyond the changes himself.

Anyways, I have installed this new firmware release, and it is working well for me.

So thanks again, Voxel, really appreciate the work that you do!

I wanted to post for others who might not have found it. I presume Voxel will post a new forum thread soon. He does good stuff for sure.

next time animated gui might be eye catching.

I always face this issue Voxel. Everytime i upgrade the firmware 1 sub version i dont get the net working nor the router gui accessible at all. It atlease demands 2-4 reboots which includes hard power off.

this time also its same. I am facing it for past 3-4 versions.

1st time no net nor router inaccessible.
2nd time no wifi access says password incorrect.
3rd time no net .
only 4th time everything working as normal

I haven't seen this issues at all with my R7800 and Voxels FW, nor other FW versions. The only process I use is when I update stock FW, I factory reset the router, load the FW file. Let it process. Factory reset the router once more, clear all browser caches, then go in and set up the router from scratch. After migrating to Voxels FW for the first time this would be needed. After one has migrated to Voxels, you don't have to factory reset, just update the FW and continue.

I recommend using IE11 or FF browsers only for doing FW updates. Seen odd and bad problems when Chrome is used. Also disable temporarily any PC security SW and add-ons. These can interfere sometimes.
I play it safe then sorry when it comes to browsers and FW updates.

You should be always LAN wired to the router with a PC or a laptop for safer upgrades.

I just loaded v47SF on my R7800 and had full access and control after the update.

I recommend doing a full factory reset, use IE11 or FF, be wired with the router, send the FW file. Let it process. Clear browser caches. Ensure your network is set for automatic IP addressing. Check to see it gets a 192.168.1.1 address. Then open IE11 or FF and you should get the wizard page at 192.168.1.1. If you get this, hit the reset button to factory reset the router once more. Then walk thru the set up wizard and configure the router.

Should all good after this. If it is, then just update to the next version of Voxel FW when it comes out. No need to reset. Remember, use IE11 or FF for FW updates.

next time animated gui might be eye catching.

I always face this issue Voxel. Everytime i upgrade the firmware 1 sub version i dont get the net working nor the router gui accessible at all. It atlease demands 2-4 reboots which includes hard power off.

this time also its same. I am facing it for past 3-4 versions.

1st time no net nor router inaccessible.
2nd time no wifi access says password incorrect.
3rd time no net .
only 4th time everything working as normal

Yeah factor reset wont mess i know. But within voxel firmware no need to reset. Unless it posses a reboot issue.

I believe multiple reboot tries to settle itself. it works after couple of reboot. May be to clear the caches

I was wondering. Does the QOS priority once set should be saved even after reboot or upgrading the firmware isnt it

But i am getting a wiered issues on one of the LAN connected network device the priority always revert back to High instead of highest.

it doesnt change the speed as not visible though. but its happening. Hope this firmware holds that.

By chance the settings are double saved. when does it comit as permanant changes ? i believe after clicking apply it should be saved for that device even after multiple reboot.

As i see it is taking the priority based on the Pre- Defined table for the respective devices even though i manually change it

You only need to factory reset, install the FW, factory reset then set up from scratch once. After this, only sending a newer FW upgrade file is needed. I believe settings should persist after a simple FW upgrade. Again, use IE11 or FF.

See odd issues reported by others where some QOS settings are not keeping after configurations. This is something in the NG core code, not something Voxel changes or handles.

Sorry, I am newbie here.
Does updating to V1.0.2.46SF/V1.0.2.47SF, overwrites the OpenVPN server *.crt, *.key, dh*.pem files?
Maybe I overlooked something but I experience this with past versions.
Updating to Voxel's new firmware will overwrite OpenVPN server cert/key files to default ones.
Not sure if there is anything I might have missed?

Ok thanks but how exactly do I flash it. Also I’m working on Mac?
You flash it through the web interface of your router. But to be honest: What exactly do you plan with voxels firmware? Your question seems to indicate that you better stay with netgears stock firmware.
Apart from that there is actually a problem with ftp and the creating of directories in voxels firmware. So flashing a modified firmware isn't in all points a benefit, if you do not need special functions of voxels firmware.

You flash it through the web interface of your router. But to be honest: What exactly do you plan with voxels firmware? Your question seems to indicate that you better stay with netgears stock firmware.
Apart from that there is actually a problem with ftp and the creating of directories in voxels firmware. So flashing a modified firmware isn't in all points a benefit, if you do not need special functions of voxels firmware.
That’s good to know. What extra functions does voxels provide

Use Safari to flash the fw using the routers web page. Upgraded mine yesterday with my Mac.

Uses same ui, just behind the scenes packages ate better maintained by Voxel!
Ok thanks but how exactly do I flash it. Also I’m working on Mac?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!