What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.50SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After checking Voxel's github page for his R7800 build, I noticed he changed Traffic Meter's max numerical value from 6 digits to 9. Unfortunately, it would appear that the Traffic Meter binary itself—or something else—is responsible for accepting the values; anything greater than 999999 results in an error dialog of "Invalid numeric value for Monthly limit". :(

You can patch this yourself. Just login with eg telnet and issue this one-liner command:
Code:
sed -i "s#^exit 0#sed -i 's/\>999999\)/\>999999999\)/g' /www/traffic.js \&\nexit 0#" /etc/rc.local

Then just reboot and the fix will be inserted every time you start the router.

You can patch this yourself. Just login with eg telnet and issue this one-liner command:
Code:
sed -i "s#^exit 0#sed -i 's/\>999999\)/\>999999999\)/g' /www/traffic.js \&\nexit 0#" /etc/rc.local

Then just reboot and the fix will be inserted every time you start the router.
Thanks, this was successful in accepting a value greater than 999999.

Is there a benefit to doing this by default Just go ahead and edit it?
Only if you want to be able to enter big values for "Traffic volume control".

And yes, you can of course edit traffic.js by hand if you are that skilled.
I just posted one not-so-semi-simple way of doing it for the average user - a one liner.
You can use a simpler and better one-liner.
And you don't even have to reboot, just refresh the web-page!

I hoped to create some fuzz and discussions here in the forum.
There is always people that have other/better ideas on how to do things. That could be nice!
But surprisingly, still no comments about this ;-)

The better code could be - e.g:
Code:
sed -i 's/999999/999999999/g' /www/traffic.js

If you want to restore all changes:
Code:
\cp -f /rom/www/traffic.js /www/traffic.js

Thanks, this was successful in accepting a value greater than 999999.
That's good news. Thank you for helping out and improving this product.
Another of many things Voxel and the community have improved together.

Now we can only hope that Netgear as well, fixes this soon in their firmwares!

Some of these scripts are obviously unique to particular setups or context. Some times though it seems they might be worth doing for all users. Wasn’t quite sure about this one. Also the Sky 61/60, whichever it is? If there’s some advantage for all users to tweak that DHCP thing glad to telnet and do the script/edit.

I don’t enter big numbers in QOS so no need for this one. Seems like it should be fixed as you noted by Netgear.

Another thing that I've been able to replicate related to Traffic Meter: a certain Traffic Meter option prevents all websites from loading. The only way to fix it is to load any non-secure web page, and wait for the prompt that says you've run out of data. I think since the web page is encrypted, the prompt cannot be injected; that could be an explanation for why https sites just simply don't load.

What's odd though, is that regardless if you have "Pop up a warning message 0 Mbytes/Minutes before the monthly limit is reached" set to 0 (off), the prompt will still appear. This would appear to be a bug, or bad coding on Netgear's end. Plus, the means of which to make it go away is outdated (i.e. code injection into sites, really NG?), since a lot of websites are encrypted now... I've tested that you can still ping using domain/IP, which is rather interesting. In other words, it actually only affects loading web pages—so if this issue is encountered, Netflix streaming, etc., shouldn't be interrupted.

A simple workaround to all of this madness is to set "Traffic volume control by" to "No limit".

I wonder how many other Netgear binaries are as badly coded as traff_meter... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not sure "Traffic Meter" is NG stuff. I might be wrong but I think it's an OpenWRT thing.
If so maybe Voxel can "fix" a new binary!?
I keep this request in my 2do list. Fixing. Maybe some shell over original binary from NG. It is really NG specific binary.

kamoj, thank you for your help and useful tips. You are real professional. My respect.

Voxel.

Voxel have you ever thought about updating the R7500v1, I am still using your newest firmware on it from 2017, maybe update it for even more optimization. I would be happy to donate <3

Voxel have you ever thought about updating the R7500v1, I am still using your newest firmware on it from 2017, maybe update it for even more optimization. I would be happy to donate <3

I am sorry but I just do not have R7500v1 anymore. Since 2017. Both were broken and replaced by NG to R7800 (warranty). It is why I do not provide updates for this router: I do not have a unit to test my changes.

P.S.
Probably I can add my updates to R7500v1 firmware if somebody will risk to flash it w/o my testing to check is it OK ;). But really not in nearest time.

Voxel.

I am sorry but I just do not have R7500v1 anymore. Since 2017. Both were broken and replaced by NG to R7800 (warranty). It is why I do not provide updates for this router: I do not have a unit to test my changes.

P.S.
Probably I can add my updates to R7500v1 firmware if somebody will risk to flash it w/o my testing to check is it OK ;). But really not in nearest time.

Voxel.

Quantenna... Just keep that thing buried in your backyard IMHO...

Quantenna... Just keep that thing buried in your backyard IMHO...
Yeah... The same opinion. So I was so happy when NG suggested me its replacement by R7800. I know, I know: your Asus RT-AC87U ;). The same headache with Quantenna...

Voxel.

Coming from a R7000/shibby rig transitioning into a R7800. Didn't take long to flash Voxel's FW and am having some security concerns. It seems WPS is on for primary wireless even though option is disabled. Guest wireless is secure from WPS. Anyway to lock it disabled? Thx.

I am using a R7000 downstairs and a R7800 upstairs both in AP-mode. Both have a wired cat6 connection to the internet modem. The internet modem connects to fibre (500 Mbps up and down) and acts as DHCP server etc. Download speeds for both the R7000 and R7800 are around 200 Mbps. If I set up them to router-mode they achieve the 500 Mbps download speed, upload speed is always good no matter what mode. I thought about a QOS issue, but that is greyed-out in AP mode. Any ideas?

"both in AP-mode."

Your modem is also a router then?

Not sure why both are in AP mode.

If both are talking to each other wireessly as in a WDS kind of thing your speeds will be cut in half.

"both in AP-mode."

Your modem is also a router then?

Not sure why both are in AP mode.

If both are talking to each other wireessly as in a WDS kind of thing your speeds will be cut in half.

I meant both Netgears... one acting as AP downstairs the other as AP upstairs. Both are connected to the fiber modem with cat6 cable which takes care of DHCP etc.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

If they are some how talking to each other it will cut down your dataflow. They can’t be doing so and talking to clients without a hit on your client dataflow.

Something I’ve experienced periodically, seems FW related, is some times when I boot the router the attached USB3 drive is not found. Seems to be the order stuff is initialized? Never clarified it. When it happens I unplug the drive, wait a moment, plug it back in, it is found and off we go.....

I had an extra eSATA port external case laying around. Just to play I put a 500gb drive in it and hooked it to the R7800. Kept the USB3 drive attached as well.

Every time I boot, both drives are found immediately. So having the eSATA attached changes how things are initialized? Slows it down during which the slower boot time allows the router to find the USB3 drive?

Something is different. Nice to see all the attached drives be recognized.

I am using a R7000 downstairs and a R7800 upstairs both in AP-mode. Both have a wired cat6 connection to the internet modem. The internet modem connects to fibre (500 Mbps up and down) and acts as DHCP server etc. Download speeds for both the R7000 and R7800 are around 200 Mbps. If I set up them to router-mode they achieve the 500 Mbps download speed, upload speed is always good no matter what mode. I thought about a QOS issue, but that is greyed-out in AP mode. Any ideas?

I am not sure, but how did you measure the speed? Most proper way would be e.g. use of iperf (iperf3) through WAN port. E.g. double or triple NAT. There is a problem with latest stock FW (WAN to LAN is not more than 400Mbps), bit not 200...

Voxel.

I am not sure, but how did you measure the speed? Most proper way would be e.g. use of iperf (iperf3) through WAN port. E.g. double or triple NAT. There is a problem with latest stock FW (WAN to LAN is not more than 400Mbps), bit not 200...

Voxel.

I used speedtest from a client connected via LAN to the R7800. First the R7800 configured as AP, resulting in 200Mbps. Then in router mode, resulting in 500 Mbps (ok 496 Mbps). Just to summarise the route the bits follow. ISP (fibre) --> Fibre Modem (Fritz Modem 7490) --> Lan Cat6 --> R7800 --> Lan Cat6 --> client pc.
I only change the mode the R7800 operates in. AP (what I prefer) or router (which shows much better download speeds). I prefer it having in AP mode and have the modem acting as DHCP server. Because then I can access the hardware based in the cellar via my R7000 which is also connected to the Modem via Cat6. Having two netgears behind the modem, is just because the wireless is otherwise to lousy because of the concrete walls in my house.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online