What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.53SF/1.0.2.53SF-KF [Updated]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doing the resets to load and then unload and return to Voxel's FW I can't get my attached device names to save either. I swear it was working. It works in the Genie software. Apparently not storing in the .53 FW now.

Trying .50. Attached devices names works fine. Something's amiss in .53.

Looks like .52 had issue too? I'll stick with .50 for now.

Last edited:
Tried to PM you, but I'm not able to start a new conversation. Something wrong with the forum or I've misbehaved unknowingly?
You are not alone with this problem, look here e.g.:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-r7800-firmware-version-1-0-2-52.46775/page-2#post-410404

Doing the resets to load and then unload and return to Voxel's FW I can't get my attached device names to save either. I swear it was working. It works in the Genie software. Apparently not storing in the .53 FW now.
Trying .50. Attached devices names works fine. Something's amiss in .53.
Looks like .52 had issue too? I'll stick with .50 for now.

Thanks kam......

Looks like just one more way that the NG FW engineers have messed something up. Almost ordered an Asus 86U yesterday.

While this is the .53 thread .50 works well and none of these minor bugs.

Last edited:
From .4o onwards attached devices has issues where changing some though not all names/icons results in a blank page upon applying, meaning nothing sticks. Last properly working firmware in was .38. .53 just made attached devices even worse. As for IPv6 filtering when set to open well that just never worked consistently, works sometimes on reboot an is open and other times its filtered. Seems the issue that started in .40 onward also is occurring in the R9000 from user comments.

I'll try .40 but other than the ongoing IPV6 filtering its working fine. I thought the IPV6 filtering was present in all Netgear FW's?

Wasn't there something wrong with .40 and .41 came out quickly?

Last edited:
I'll try .40 but other than the ongoing IPV6 filtering its working fine. I thought the IPV6 filtering was present in all Netgear FW's?

Wasn't there something wrong with .40 and .41 came out quickly?

Yeah don't remember what it was that caused that quick update.

IPv6 Filtering has been screwed up a while. IPv6 filtering should be disabled when in IPv6 settings you set it to Open and it does on occasion work after a few resets but if power cycled for any reason you are back to square one and things are Filtered again.

Netgear will someday before I pass away fix these lol. By the way when I said .38 and .40 I was speaking of Netgear version numbers.

Last edited:
Since I’m aready fooling around I’ll install .38.

Voxel can’t fix some of these NG introduced bugs. I know he tries very hard to make the FW better. But some things are out of his control.

Since I’m aready fooling around I’ll install .38.

Voxel can’t fix some of these NG introduced bugs. I know he tries very hard to make the FW better. But some things are out of his control.

Yeah if I recall Voxel tried to report to Netgear some of the bugs, even some he couldn't fix due to lack of access to some of the code, they didn't seem to care even though he was pretty much helping them fix their own issues.... which makes for happy customers vs angry ones when they see all the bugs on purchase.

Last edited:
So just wanted to report that I installed the Voxel firmward for the first time on my new R7800.

And... it's pretty cool? i'm not using OpenVPN or anything really ambitious to stress test it though.

The Web UI actually seems snapper than Netgear stock, though.

I bought a new/sealed R7800, opened the box and flashed this firmware.

I'm having an issue where my wired LAN is going down, but wireless is fine. All wireless devices remain connected and can access internet, but wired devices are down 'no internet connection'. The lights on LAN ports 1-4 flash together at a known interval. Any ideas? Hardware issue, firmware issue, setting? I don't have anything extravagant setup, just changed to static DNS on the R7800 (Cloudflare), and have wireless setup. Nothing else.

Thanks for tips.

Can the NG version of open vpn can be configured for other service provider's

It would be ease in GUI just in case.

I bought a new/sealed R7800, opened the box and flashed this firmware.

I'm having an issue where my wired LAN is going down, but wireless is fine. All wireless devices remain connected and can access internet, but wired devices are down 'no internet connection'. The lights on LAN ports 1-4 flash together at a known interval. Any ideas? Hardware issue, firmware issue, setting? I don't have anything extravagant setup, just changed to static DNS on the R7800 (Cloudflare), and have wireless setup. Nothing else.

Thanks for tips.
Turn off HT160, and don't stress-test wifi with an Intel wifi-chip, it crashes the LAN bridge. Known issue, reported to Intel.

I’m at .43. Will not be going to .53 or any .5x variant until NG fixes some of these issues. With the .3x variants had some random disconnects with both of mine and wife’s VOIP work at home routers. Whatever protocols those are ipsec, etc., not happy at .3x step. Rock solid at .43 and the attached devics display is working fine.

opkg update rror.JPG

I cant upgrade the package

Looking forward to use entware after long time
opkg update rror.JPG
net perf failed.JPG

help on the above error

i believe symlink is issue.

opkg update rror.JPG
net perf failed.JPG
sym link issue.JPG

I’m at .43. Will not be going to .53 or any .5x variant until NG fixes some of these issues. With the .3x variants had some random disconnects with both of mine and wife’s VOIP work at home routers. Whatever protocols those are ipsec, etc., not happy at .3x step. Rock solid at .43 and the attached devics display is working fine.
I've personally had great success with Voxel's 1.0.2.50SF. No attached devices bug to speak of, and no issues with the GUI.

Glad to try .50.

.50 holds attached devices BUT is it because the information was written to memory registers with the previous FW's? I'm not resetting just to test something that minor.

Will know Monday if any VOIP issues. RMerlin's for the Asus 68U I have addresses those options independently. I have no idea how NG does those. Maybe telnet and get all Linux like to address them? Not going there.

Mostly wishing NG would get their act together. The AC86U reads as if a direct competitor for this hardware/price point. Might end up with one yet.

Last edited:
The big problem with "Attached Devices" and "Access Control" was introduced in Netgear 1.0.2.52 and Voxel V1.0.2.53SF.
So up to Netgear 1.0.2.46 and Voxel V1.0.2.50SF are ok in these regards.

The big problem with "Attached Devices" and "Access Control" was introduced in Netgear 1.0.2.52 and Voxel V1.0.2.53SF.
So up to Netgear 1.0.2.46 and Voxel V1.0.2.50SF are ok in these regards.
For me it happened with 1.0.2.40. 1.0.2.38 worked fine and did if I went back to it, but not good for security to stay on old firmware. DHCP reservation seems to a/or one or the triggers for this problem. If you keep pressing apply on the DHCP reservation list and then jump straight to QoS you can define priority and device names for a short time. I have 11 on DHCP and my R7800 was a nightmare. In the end those features because because unusable. I also think network WI-FI password length may play a roll too, the longer the password the more issues occur with those features and blank pages in the GUI, but that's a hunch based on combined issues with DHCP reservation. Also it may be down to the number of devices you have in DHCP Reservation too I think.

Thank you for your input Killhippie!
I do use DHCP (20+) and Reservations (20+).

You can make Netgear 1.0.2.52 and Voxel V1.0.2.53SF working by using just one file from Netgear 1.0.2.46 (or previous version): /usr/sbin/net-cgi
So copy this file before upgrading and use it after if you need to have visible and working "Attached Devices" and "Access Control".

I have been using his solution quite some time. The drawback is that you lose the ability to change "Smart Connect".
If you enable "Smart Connect" and then replace the file, "Smart Connect" will still work, but you can not disable it through the GUI.
To enable/disable "Smart Connect" you must restore the /usr/sbin/net-cgi from Netgear 1.0.2.52 or Voxel V1.0.2.53SF.
You can also make 2 backups of the settings before using the old net-cgi, one with "Smart Connect" enabled, and one with it disabled.
Then you can Enable/Disable "Smart Connect" by restoring corresponding backup.

Let me know if you want/need a more detailed instruction.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!