What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.61SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i use 54SF before, everything seems fine. Form 58SF to 61SF, I got lots of ping problem. when i play Srike of Kings in china, normal ping is 65, but it will jump up to 460 3 times in 15mins. It is horrible, 58SF, 60SF, even 61SF. However, once i flash back to King's DD-wrt , It won't happen, Once i flash back to 61SF, It happen sometime. How can i fix it , both i reset to default setting.

I can see much higher bufferbloat in Voxel and stock builds compare to Kong DD-WRT specially for upload. The download and upload limits are not working in NG and i cant limit the bufferbloat.

i use 54SF before, everything seems fine. Form 58SF to 61SF, I got lots of ping problem. when i play Srike of Kings in china, normal ping is 65, but it will jump up to 460 3 times in 15mins. It is horrible, 58SF, 60SF, even 61SF. However, once i flash back to King's DD-wrt , It won't happen, Once i flash back to 61SF, It happen sometime. How can i fix it , both i reset to default setting.

Some said that disable the "11k" in 192.168.1.1/debug.htm will fix the problem, I had mine disabled in the beginning and I have no issue

11k is Assisted Roaming. Can be disabled.

Some said that disable the "11k" in 192.168.1.1/debug.htm will fix the problem, I had mine disabled in the beginning and I have no issue

Thank you for tip. The r7800 router bufferbloat and wifi bandwidth was improved with 11k disabled.
Download bufferbloat is fine for now but upload average bufferbloat is still high around 65 mls with spikes up to 300 mls with my cable ISP and 500/30 mbs plan. Do you know any way to limit the upload speed?

Voxel, I'll post this here since I mostly use your FW, however i presume this may stem from stock FW.
My R7800 is in wireless bridge mode. There is a Status window that appears when you log in to the R7800 in this mode. One of the sections is Wireless Settings that gives SSID NAME, what frequency, link rate and connection status. I noticed that today, with v60SF and v61SF, SSID name is correct however Link Rate reads Zero(0) and Connection status says unconnected. The unit is connected and working fine in bridge mode. Happens on both radios.
https://i.ibb.co/K0L99nw/R7800-No-Bridge-Status.png

I'll load up stock FW and see what happens there.
Yes Kamoj add-on reports information in the debug page.

Bridge mode... There was already significant problems with this mode (was not working at all). Reason is that not always GPL source codes correspond to binary stock firmware. Last time there was incorrect reference to old OpenSSL 0.9.8 in GPL instead of correct reference to 1.0.2 used in binary...

So I do not promise to fix this issue quickly. Sorry. Most important it works (even if status displayed is wrong).

Voxel.

Last edited:
Yes, no worries about fixing it soon. It's not a priority, however please don't let it fall off the table. It's a convenience/troubleshooting factor mostly however it is nice to see status there.

As for bridge mode, it IS working on v61SF.

Thank you.

Bridge mode... There was already significant problems with this mode (was not working at all). Reason is that now always GPL source codes correspond to binary stock firmware. Last time there was incorrect reference to old OpenSSL 0.9.8 in GPL instead of correct reference to 1.0.2 used in binary...

So I do not promise to fix this issue quickly. Sorry. Most important it works (even if status displayed is wrong).

Voxel.

Hi, thanks for update. I used stock builds but facing network instability for couple of last updates and want to switch. 2 questions before hitting update.

I have 500/30 connection and that was my main reason to switch to r7800 from r7000 which couldnt keep up. Any issues with performance at that speed (do I need to adjust settings up front?)
I used freshtomato fork for last year and got accustomed to ad-blocking, is there planned integration in your firmware or good guide?

I was hoping necessary steps from 2017 builds (that require external drive) will be reduced but newest readme does not mention such option at all

thanks!

As long as you don't enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Controls, you should be good.

External drives for what?
Just loading Voxels FW on the R7800 doesn't require any external drive.

Hi, thanks for update. I used stock builds but facing network instability for couple of last updates and want to switch. 2 questions before hitting update.

I have 500/30 connection and that was my main reason to switch to r7800 from r7000 which couldnt keep up. Any issues with performance at that speed (do I need to adjust settings up front?)
I used freshtomato fork for last year and got accustomed to ad-blocking, is there planned integration in your firmware or good guide?

I was hoping necessary steps from 2017 builds (that require external drive) will be reduced but newest readme does not mention such option at all

thanks!

Check this thread for ad-blocking: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...-mvps-hosts-file-with-dnscrypt-proxy-v2.49803
You will need to enable dnscrypt for that one.

thanks!

Are there known performance issues with QoS, Traffic Meter and Access Controls?

As long as you don't enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Controls, you should be good.

External drives for what?
Just loading Voxels FW on the R7800 doesn't require any external drive.

I guess it is visible with higher Internet bandwidth? I have 120Mbps DL and enabled QoS with WMM, Access Control without blocking and Traffic Meter and to be honest can't see any perforamce improvement after disabling any of those services.

thanks!
Moving from the latest official Netgear .60 firmware to Voxel .61 solved my wireless dropout problems.
I have 480/12 Internet service. R7800 performance at this speed has not been an issue although I am not using any optional features except WMM and IPv6. 80 MHz Wifi from iPad and iPhone to iPerf on a PC tops out at about 530 Mbits/sec.
I have a paid DNS plan with cleanbrowsing.org which I am using to block ad trackers and many other things.

Issue not specific to Voxel i think but why do the priority in attached devices keep reverting to default every restart? I have only used voxel firmware since i got this. Is the priority saved based on ip instead of mac address? Will be upgrading to .62sf now.

I was having some internet drop issues with the stock firmware and decided to give this Voxel custom a try. Upgrade worked just fine but now when I benchmark my 5Ghz i'm only getting 20Mb when before I was getting around 250Mb

I tried to see if this is only limited to wifi and as expected it is.

43258206.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!