What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.63SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My 5ghz is rock stable here for several months but it can be hundred different local reasons for instability.
Look around if you have any interference from neighbors and try to change channels and so on.
Once i had a problem with Astro wireless gaming headphones using 149-161 on 5ghz and affecting my router performance badly. And so on

hmm, would interference cause the connection to drop tho? the only reason I'm questioning that is because I use the exact same channel i used with my old router and the old router never dropped connections

also weird how it only does it when downloading. that sounds like it's straining to do something and having to reset itself because of the load, but my downlink is only 180 megabits, far below what this router should support

i did a hard reset and changed channels. we'll see

i did a hard reset and changed channels. we'll see

i don't know anything about wireless technology, but i forgot that i enabled HT160 a few weeks back. could this cause connection drops? i don't remember having them before enabling it and from what speed tests reveal there's no performance loss when it's disabled

why is it disabled by default?

Backup your settings and if you have something specific like SSH keys or opened ports (/etc/netwall.conf) you should store them if you did not do so before. Try to use search, there were some messages re: how to backup specific files and restore it after flashing with my fw. Text to search "tar cf /mnt" something like this.

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel, had no problems updating and it's working great so far.

i don't know anything about wireless technology, but i forgot that i enabled HT160 a few weeks back. could this cause connection drops? i don't remember having them before enabling it and from what speed tests reveal there's no performance loss when it's disabled

why is it disabled by default?

HT160 could affect range and cause some instability in comparison to having it disabled in my personal experience, yes.

If you don't know anything about wireless technology, I'm going to hazard a guess that you have no use for HT160 and very likely don't have a compatible wireless device to utilize this feature. I would disable it.

Thanks Voxel! Can I just check, do I need to enable Stubby again after each upgrade? I missed .62, so this is my first upgrade since enabling it in .61?

Thanks Voxel! Can I just check, do I need to enable Stubby again after each upgrade? I missed .62, so this is my first upgrade since enabling it in .61?
If you enabled stubby by nvram command w/o changing /etc/stubby/stubby.yml then it will be automatically enabled after flashing bew firmware (cloudflare). But if your /etc/stubby/stubby.yml was changed you have to edit this default config file again.

Voxel.

this is the best firmware for r7800. the only problem remains the bufferbloat with my xDSL. I notice this problem only in the online gaming..

Hello Voxel,

Good to have some update on this new year. Thx

I might have asked you before. Why the chk based cpu router's have more firmware size than the img is this more of compression

Also when flash storage is 128MB even though NG have stock drives in different partion. Why we are only left with 30MB when we can have more features in the given flash. custom apps like Synlogy and so.

I dont see if we are effectively using 512MB given ram. Mostly its 200-260Mb only . Even on file transfer i dont see realtime jump to 400 ish.

Arent the given hardware fully used.

Why the chk based cpu router's have more firmware size than the img is this more of compression
Sorry, I do not quite understand your question. Do you mean: why my IMG is not so big? Comparing with other fw version? I did not check other fw for other routers.

Comments in Makefile for image creation is it is interesting:

Code:
# Torby and Tony confirmed that Netgear have sent new requirement out to resize
# whole kernel and rootfs to 32MB.
# Leave 4MB to kernel and others will be reserved to rootfs and bad block.

So its size is limited: not more than 32MB.

Arent the given hardware fully used.
Yes. By demand.

Voxel.

this is the best firmware for r7800. the only problem remains the bufferbloat with my xDSL. I notice this problem only in the online gaming..

Are you connected using a HG612? Make sure QoS is enabled within the modem. Most people recommend disabling it as it increases your upload by about 1Mb/s but it's not worth having it off. It doesn't actually have any settings, but disabling it destroyed my bufferbloat.

You can also do what I did which is use QoS on the r7800 but set the download to around what you get, but reduce your upload by about 2-3Mb/s. This made everything stable on my end, even though my bufferbloat result on DSLReports is a C, it's stable enough.

I too was having issues with Pi-Hole using the 1.0.2.62 stock firmware. This firmware fixed that issue. This is the most stable firmware I have used since 1.0.2.52.

Voxel, I have a xdsl 100+/20 down/up in Italy.
I tried stock firmware 1.0.2.62 i noticed something different in performance. I don't see the
net.core.rmem_max and net.core.wmem_max in the sysctl.conf on this firmware.
What values could I insert on your firmware?

I don't see the
net.core.rmem_max and net.core.wmem_max in the sysctl.conf on this firmware.
What values could I insert on your firmware?

Bufferbloat could be because of high buffers for your type of connection xDSL. To see or set these values on the stock fw (no such values in /etc/sysctl.conf ) try from telnet:

to see current:

Code:
cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
cat /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

or to set lower 163840 (until reboot):

Code:
echo 163840 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 163840 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

Voxel.

Also you can try to set the limits in your QoS page manually. Lower than your ISP provides. E.g. 80/17.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!