What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.70SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-68sf.57646/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-69sf.58293/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.70SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.69SF):

1. proftpd package is upgraded from specific version with NG changes to 1.3.6 + CVE-2019-12815 security patch.
(Plus some changes in its behavior. Issue alarmed by kamoj)​
2. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.25->2.0.27 (Firefox workaround).
3. OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 package is upgraded 1.0.2s->1.0.2t.
4. OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 package: patch to strip cflags from resulting binary is added.
5. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1c->1.1.1d.
6. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.4->1.9.6.
7. uci package is upgraded 2019-05-17->2019-09-01.
8. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.9.2->1.9.3.
9. libgcrypt package is upgraded 1.8.4->1.8.5.
10. libcharset package is removed (not needed, saving space).
11. Duplication of old/new versions of libyaml package is fixed.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Rock solid again, thanks!

Thank you, Voxel, much appreciated. I've been a faithful user of your firmwares for a couple of years now. I've updated from 1.0.2.66 (I think) and I am having a strange issue now. I can't connect via SSH from a WAN IP. It works fine from a LAN computer or using the OpenVPN connection. The ddns is working fine too and the router responds to pings. I've checked a few of those websites that scan the publicly open ports, and they say that port 22 is not visible. Any ideas of what commands I can run to check what is going on? Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you, Voxel, much appreciated. I've been a faithful user of your firmwares for a couple of years now. I've updated from 1.0.2.66 (I think) and I am having a strange issue now. I can't connect via SSH from a WAN IP. It works fine from a LAN computer or using the OpenVPN connection. The ddns is working fine too and the router responds to pings. I've checked a few of those websites that scan the publicly open ports, and they say that port 22 is not visible. Any ideas of what commands I can run to check what is going on? Thank you very much in advance.
Everything is in readme https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/readme.docx
If you need to make several ports accessible from WAN then create the text file /etc/netwall.conf with ports you need to open. Example of this file:
ACCEPT net fw tcp 22,8443
ACCEPT net fw udp 1194
(to open TCP ports 22 and 8443 and UDP port 1194).

NOTE: this file should contain LF symbol at the end of last line (press ENTER key in your text editor).

Everything is in readme https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/readme.docx
If you need to make several ports accessible from WAN then create the text file /etc/netwall.conf with ports you need to open. Example of this file:
ACCEPT net fw tcp 22,8443
ACCEPT net fw udp 1194
(to open TCP ports 22 and 8443 and UDP port 1194).

NOTE: this file should contain LF symbol at the end of last line (press ENTER key in your text editor).
Thank you very much indeed for the blazing fast response. I have done: cat > /etc/netwall.conf , then pasted the first line of that (as it includes port 22), pressed ENTER and finally CTRL+D. Maybe I'm missing something? Do I need to set any permissions to that file? (Sorry I'm not a linux user)
I never had to do this in previous firmwares, can you confirm that something has therefore changed in the most recent versions?

IT WORKSSS! I just had to be more careful when copy-pasting... Brilliant! Thank you :)

Last edited:
I am sorry for the noob question. Basically i have an old Voxel firmware installed on my netgear R7800. How do i install this new firmware? Should i just login and point it to the new firmware and hit upgrade? Do i have to do any manual ssh coding? Thank you very much.

I am sorry for the noob question. Basically i have an old Voxel firmware installed on my netgear R7800. How do i install this new firmware? Should i just login and point it to the new firmware and hit upgrade? Do i have to do any manual ssh coding? Thank you very much.

Just Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update

I have been trying to set up v1.0.2.70sf on my Netgear X4S and have a couple of questions and suggestions: I had set up a small number of address reservations and tried to add some more but I cannot do so. The list of reservations gets blanked when I press ADD bur re-appear after moving to WAN setup and back to LAN setup. ADD does not work. How do I add more reservations?
The other thing I find lacking is the association of 2 MAC addresses, one for wireless and the other for wired. Is there a real reasonm for not providing this functionality?

Herb

Oops I forgot one other item.
I use a VOIP service and to ensure I do NOT get inappropriate calls I have (in my R7000 setup in Tomato) the ability to specify the Source address of my VOIP supplier. Could that field be added to the port forward setup, please?

Herb

How many reservations are you adding or have you added up to the point where you can't seem to add any more?
What browser are you using? Try IE11 or FF or Opera to compare?

What do you mean association of 2 MAC addresses, wireless and wired? MAC addresses are meant to be 1 address for a specific HW connection, either Wired or wireless adapter which is assigned by the Mfr of the adapter. If you have a dual adapter device like a Laptop or PC with both wired and wireless adapters, then you would have two separate MAC addresses.

The router only sees what connected to the router. You can have both connected at the same time, however you have to know before hand what the connected HW is and the associated MAC address is.

Is this VoIP service an application or a actual HW device that provides VoIP?
You can put that in yourself in Port Forwarding if you need too.

I have been trying to set up v1.0.2.70sf on my Netgear X4S and have a couple of questions and suggestions: I had set up a small number of address reservations and tried to add some more but I cannot do so. The list of reservations gets blanked when I press ADD bur re-appear after moving to WAN setup and back to LAN setup. ADD does not work. How do I add more reservations?
The other thing I find lacking is the association of 2 MAC addresses, one for wireless and the other for wired. Is there a real reasonm for not providing this functionality?

Herb

What do you mean association of 2 MAC addresses, wireless and wired? MAC addresses are meant to be 1 address for a specific HW connection, either Wired or wireless adapter which is assigned by the Mfr of the adapter. If you have a dual adapter device like a Laptop or PC with both wired and wireless adapters, then you would have two separate MAC addresses.

He has the same question I had. Ideally you'd like to keep the same IP address when switching between Ethernet and Wireless. This is important to ensure your port forwards remain when on either network connection. I don't think the router firmware has this ability natively. I suggested that one way to accomplish this would be to override one of the network adapters in the laptop to use the same MAC as the other. As long as both adapters are not active at the same time, it might work. Many laptops have a setting to autoswitch between wireless and ethernet in the BIOS, but I haven't tried it nor do I know howit would react if two adapters had the same MAC.

This hasn't been a major issue for me since my Internet connection currently is 300Mbps, which is as fast on 5G WiFi as Ethernet. Therefore, I'm happly using WiFi all the time. If I switch back to a gigbit, I will investigate this further. Perhaps there's a way to get the router to dynamically reassign the IP address through the command-line or port forward to two different IPs, but I don't know if that's feasible.

Got cha. Understand. Yes that's one thing that routers don't do natively. One IP address for two different MACs. Kind of hard to effect that when MACs determine and help routers give out IP addresses that don't conflict. Something that has been the norm for a long time.

I use both wired and wireless and have reserved IPs for each. Though different, still works and have not had any issues using this method for years.

Why would you need to have same IP for different MACs to effect speeds?

This would not change speeds. Wired will and always will be faster than most wifi. Thought AX is trying to get into the playing field. Wireless speeds depend on connections rates and actual thru put speeds that the Mfr of the adapter really supports. These are two different things.

Why would you need to have same IP for different MACs to effect speeds?

You wouldn't. You'd want the same IP so port forwards from the router would still work regardless of which adapter was being used. The speed of a gigabit ethernet port would be more desireable than a WiFi connection assuming your Internet provider offers a fast enough connection for it to matter, but that has nothing to do with the MAC.

Internal (LAN) connections to the laptop should be okay with two different possible IP addresses since you could use the machine name instead of the IP, but external (WAN) connections aren't so lucky.

Yes, of course, LAN will mostly be always better than wifi. For sure.

Yes I guess that would be a consideration for one PC or laptop with two different connection adapters.

On some other Mfr routers you could set the PF rule then include a range of IP addresses, regardless of MAC, your PF would apply to those IPs. One thing I don't see on NG routers. :(

Hi forum,

I don´t if it has been reported before, but when I enable "Dynamic QoS" if I select "Attached devices", it prompts with the "user/password" window, but it doesn´t accept it and it keeps asking for it endlesssly.

¿Anyone else has this issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!