What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.72SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They can be okay depending on the driver implementation. But given that NTFS is completely proprietary, we're at the mercy of the OEM driver and there's not much that can be done if it's slow.

Hi htismage,
Thank you for your reply. NTFS is being used because of our zoo of devices - it is accessible from both Linux / Windows.
EXT4 cannot be safely used under Win 64 (corruption data possible).

Can you setup an EXT3/4 partition on the drive just to see if it's faster? It's really hard to troubleshoot NTFS performance on these kinds of devices. This would at least tell us if it's the drive/interface or the file system.

I'm somewhat at my wits end with this router and as a last straw, im going to try Voxels firmware. Netgear has been quite slow with updates and i am experiencing drops with this router. As a test, i put back into service my RT-AC68U for 2 weeks and i had zero issues. I'd like to keep the 7800 in service as it has excellent range but as my whole home is reliant on the internet now, stability is key

On paper, the hardware on the 7800 is impressive but the SW seems to be lacking. I'll try Voxels and see if it helps.

I never had any stability issues with DD-WRT on this router. The longest uptime I had was 45 days. I've been up on Voxel's firmware for 5 days and 17 hours with zero issues. I've never used Netgear stock FW on the R7800 (haven't used it since the R7000 days). I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

After an uptime of 112 days on stock .63 firmware, my R7800 started to lose Internet to devices every 20 days or so. A simple release and rebind of the IP address given by my ISP solved the problem, until another 20 or so days pass where my devices report no Internet.

So I tried Voxel's FW and am currently up for 12 days. I hope this issue above doesn't occur on his firmware. Also, having dnscrypt and ssh is a big welcome for me. That and the other updated programs and fixes he's done

I installed Voxel firmware 62SF on 12/16/18.

I never used the Netgear stock firmware other than the initial boot on 12/16/18 so I could install Voxel firmware.

I have updated my 7800 with Voxel's subsequent firmware releases.

I thought about this for a while before I decided to post:
I cannot recall my 7800 crashing or acting flakey since I've been running Voxel firmware. Now that I've said that, I'm kind of amazed!
(I also just knocked on wood o_O).

My fiber ISP has gone down five or six times since 12/16/18 but never my 7800 with Voxel firmware.

EDIT: There was one hiccup when running 64SF on 03/19/19 which I documented in this post: Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.64SF Fortunately, this was a one time aberration.

Last edited:
Was using NG/Voxel's build for some time only to later explore OpenWRT. What strikes me is somehow worse bufferbloat with Voxel's build and I am wondering whether that is specific to my configuration or whether it can be replicated. Also my impression is Skype voice calls (wired) are of better quality with OpenWRT.
DSL reports below, all with wired client. Seams like uploading is impacted by heavy bufferbloat.
OpenWRT (down 109.8 up 9.79):
Annotation 2019-11-21 235606.png

Voxel's (down 117.5 up 10.22):
Annotation 2019-11-21 Voxel.png

Results are pretty consistent and independent from router CPU settings. Tested with westwood and yeah congestion control.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest performed with HighRes bufferbloat setting enabled.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Anyone else having issues with DNS recently using stubby? (At least I think it's that). I downgraded to 69SF first as a test and thought the issue was resolved, but low and behold later that night my 2 phone devices are left unable to resolve names, but can ping fine. I've disabled stubby for now and will report back.

Anything I could check?
Also, how can I check stubby status just to make sure I have disabled it?

Thanks

I've been tempted to try openwrt several times, but it's one hell of a learning curve and I've never got my head round the firewall section...

On voxel firmwares I use the blocking services tab to limit port useage to certain IP addresses, but trying to do the same on openwrt is beyond me... I've tried and failed.

I believe the Netgear firmware is based on openwrt, just a very old version I guess, and skinned with a Netgear overlay.

I've been on DD-WRT for several years, going back to the WRT1900AC before the R7800. Invariably, the FW becomes unbundled from the hardware and I'm forced to move on. Really, it became about being tied to Kong, not DD-WRT and when he switched to OpenWRT, I decided to break the cycle and try something different.

I would suggest we should try to confirm there is indeed difference with bufferbload and if that is the case try to identify the culprit.

I get a solid A on bufferbloat on .72SF. When I was on stock I got the same result

Test 1 with no QOS (never use it) and DSL hi-res bufferbloat not enabled:

56712273.png

speed-result-of-348-1-940-mbps-dslreports-isp-information-jpg.19976

Test 2 with no QOS (never use it) and DSL hi-res bufferbloat enabled:

56713306.png

speed-result-of-297-7-802-mbps-dslreports-isp-information_hi-resbb-jpg.19977

Attachments

• Speed result of 348 1 940 Mbps   DSLReports  ISP Information.jpg
    Speed result of 348 1 940 Mbps DSLReports ISP Information.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 801
  • Speed result of 297 7 802 Mbps   DSLReports  ISP Information_hi-resBB.jpg
    Speed result of 297 7 802 Mbps DSLReports ISP Information_hi-resBB.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 794
Just an FYI (you may already know this) but always enable hi-res buffer bloat. The regular test isn't a great indicator.

I think it depends on your ISP also and what type of modem etc you have. The docsis 3.0 cable system i have to use does not help with bloat..

Indeed. A few years ago when I was using my old ISP supplied modem, I always got a D no matter what I did. I exchanged the modem for a DOCSIS 3.0 as this was needed for upgrading my speed and since then I always get a solid A. So the modem definitely plays a role in this

I'm somewhat at my wits end with this router and as a last straw, im going to try Voxels firmware. Netgear has been quite slow with updates and i am experiencing drops with this router. As a test, i put back into service my RT-AC68U for 2 weeks and i had zero issues. I'd like to keep the 7800 in service as it has excellent range but as my whole home is reliant on the internet now, stability is key

On paper, the hardware on the 7800 is impressive but the SW seems to be lacking. I'll try Voxels and see if it helps.

Definitely use Voxel's firmware. for the past few years,they have been consistently better. I often test both, where when Netgear releases a new firmware, I would test it and do things like benchmark the storage performance on a 4TB WD red formatted to NTFS, and Voxel continues to perform better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!