What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.72SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had a look at this problem and found a really messy code - again.

I've prepared a patch to try out - if you want.
Let me know if you are prepared to do some linux commands!
If so, I'll post the code here later today when I'm back home.
Honestly, I'm super frustrated right now. It was working earlier, now it's not. I've disconnect like everything from the network and there are certain devices I just can't change.

I hope @Voxel incorporates your patch in the next release, provided it fixes the issue ;)

I had a look at this problem and found a really messy code - again.

I've prepared a patch to try out - if you want.
Let me know if you are prepared to do some linux commands!
If so, I'll post the code here later today when I'm back home.

I just did a complete reset and wiped it so I will have to setup SSH again. But yeah, once I have a chance to do that, I'm definitely up to it. :)

Sorry guys I am very busy now. Cannot process your requests and questions at time.

Voxel.

It's not a problem at all, man. I have deep respect for you guys that do this because you can and nothing more. I'm going to be trying out this patch from @kamoj and I will keep everybody updated. Thanks for all of the work you've done!

@kamoj

Is the code you're posting just a spot fix for Attached Devices or are you going to incorporate it into your bigger mod? I'd love to try out the whole thing.

I have SSH enabled now and I'm ready any time you are. Thanks again!

Test patch for Attached Devices : Edit Device is not working
============================================================
Since I don't have the problem myself, I need someone to help with testing.

There is no idea to try this patch unless you have the problem!

Important now is that we can find a device that causes the problem.
It's very probable that the error is in Netgear's closed binary code, which makes it difficult to patch,
but let's make a try, once we can pinpoint the culprit.
So this is try one...

It would be really helpful if you find a device that gives the problem.
Please PM me and I'll give further debug instructions!

Test with and without QOS active: Attached Devices, Edit Device (Just click on a device symbol)

To Install the patch (note the long line!):
Code:
cat << "EOF" > "/tmp/target.kamoj"
      var str = eval ( 'qosArray' + i ).replace(/&#92;/g,"\\").replace(/&lt;/g,"<").replace(/&gt;/g,">").replace(/&#40;/g,"(").replace(/&#41;/g,")").replace(/&#34;/g,'\"').replace(/&#39;/g,"\'").replace(/&#35;/g,"#").replace(/&#38;/g,"&").replace(/&nbsp;/g," ").replace(/&amp;/g,"&");
EOF
sed -ie '/var str = eval/{r /tmp/target.kamoj' -e 'd}' /www/QOS_device_edit.htm

Uninstall the patch:
Code:
\cp -p /rom/www/QOS_device_edit.htm /www/QOS_device_edit.htm
\rm /tmp/target.kamoj

@htismaqe : Yes, it's only for Attached Devices.
If it's working I'll include patches until @Voxel includes them.

With QoS disabled, it still does not work. With QoS enabled, it does not work.

Just be clear, I pasted the first 2 lines into a shell prompt and then entered the EOF at the >. I then pasted the sed command at the shell prompt.

And here's the contents of the file "target.kamoj"...

Code:
      var str = eval ( 'qosArray' + i ).replace(/&#92;/g,"\\").replace(/&lt;/g,"<").replace(/&gt;/g,">").replace(/&#40;/g,"(").replace(/&#41;/g,")").replace(/&#34;/g,'\"').replace(/&#39;/g,"\'").replace(/&#35;/g,"#").replace(/&#38;/g,"&").replace(/&nbsp;/g," ").replace(/&amp;/g,"&");

Last edited:
And oddly enough, I made one change in my DHCP reservations and now it seems to be working. Changing the DHCP reservations would have kicked off wireless clients, so the offending device must have been temporarily disconnected. I will have to see if it continues working or not.

I think I found out which device is causing it. It's a Roku TV. I've turned it off before and disconnected it from the network but this time it appears to be the device causing the issue.

So with help from @kamoj, I was able to isolate the problem. It was indeed the Roku TV. Most devices like Android or Apple will strip out special characters when they send their device name to the router. An iPhone with a name of "Jimmy's iPhone" will show up in the router as JIMMYS-IPHONE.

In the case of this Roku TV, despite the fact that I had setup a DHCP reservation of ROKU-TV and also change it's name in the Attached Devices to ROKU-TV, was sending the name 40" to the router. I could only see it in the GUI in the Access Control page when the device was disconnected so I had missed it. @kamoj had me dump the NVRAM for the Roku MAC address and sure enough, there it was - 40".

The fix is simple - log into your Roku account and change the name of your device. I changed the device name from 40" Roku TV to simply ROKU-TV. I rebooted the TV, then my router, verified that NVRAM was updated. And now everything works. Thanks @kamoj!

Also tagging @RMinNJ since he was experiencing this issue as well.

Last edited:
I'm only here because of people like you and @Voxel. I vowed never again to use stock Netgear FW or suffer through their support after the R7000. I chronicled my journey with them at one point. The only reason I ever came back to the R7800 was because Kong was actively developing DD-WRT for it.

So with help from @kamoj, I was able to isolate the problem. It was indeed the Roku TV. Most devices like Android or Apple will strip out special characters when they send their device name to the router. An iPhone with a name of "Jimmy's iPhone" will show up in the router as JIMMYS-IPHONE.

In the case of this Roku TV, despite the fact that I had setup a DHCP reservation of ROKU-TV and also change it's name in the Attached Devices to ROKU-TV, was sending the name 40" to the router. I could only see it in the GUI in the Access Control page when the device was disconnected so I had missed it. @kamoj had me dump the NVRAM for the Roku MAC address and sure enough, there it was - 40".

The fix is simple - log into your Roku account and change the name of your device. I changed the device name from 40" Roku TV to simply ROKU-TV. I rebooted the TV, then my router, verified that NVRAM was updated. And now everything works. Thanks @kamoj!

Also tagging @RMinNJ since he was experiencing this issue as well.
LOL .. I had a NG support case also and their comment to me was ; we only have a Roku 3..not your model so we cant test. Really crazy...unplugging the Roku and naming the devices was my solution.. My roku name does not start with a number.. nor does the DHCP reservation I have which is my Brother printer.

LOL .. I had a NG support case also and their comment to me was ; we only have a Roku 3..not your model so we cant test. Really crazy...unplugging the Roku and naming the devices was my solution.. My roku name does not start with a number.. nor does the DHCP reservation I have which is my Brother printer.

Does your Roku (or any other device) have a special character in it's name on the device itself? That's what caused it for me - the TV shipped with a default device name of 40" Roku TV and the quotation mark wasn't able to be processed by the NG firmware. Android and iOS remove the special characters when they send the device name but apparently Roku doesn't.

Does your Roku (or any other device) have a special character in it's name on the device itself? That's what caused it for me - the TV shipped with a default device name of 40" Roku TV and the quotation mark wasn't able to be processed by the NG firmware. Android and iOS remove the special characters when they send the device name but apparently Roku doesn't.
My Roku had a -119 in the name.. I changed the name on Rokus site;; it had no name there. I then updated it on the attached devices page to RokuPremierePlus and it worked... So on voxel 1.0.2.72
the attached devices page is working now.

I also saw if any of my passwords or devices have the string "asus" or "linksys" in them the router runs at half speed..

Yesterday I was installing my new cell phone. So I was saving all the files from my old cell phone to my NAS using my old laptop and Filezilla. About 40Gb of data.
So it was cell phone --> Laptop & Filezilla --> Nas.
Lots of files, big ones and small ones.
Many times, I've lost the WiFi connection. I would get the "World" icon, no more WiFi. I'd have to disable the card on my laptop and reactivate it so I could continue copying the files. Happened a lot.
Of course, I suspect the laptop to be the problem. Old laptop running Win10.
But I was just wondering if the 7800 wasn't being heavily used during those transfers.
I guess not. Which would be good, I prefer to think that my laptop is the problem. Won't be used that much then :)
Doesn't mean it's the router. Plenty laptops come with crappy 1x1 Wi-Fi modules that seem to drop out every so often.

I can't imagine what it would take to actually tax the R7800, it's pretty beefy. The only time I've seen high CPU is with untested DD-WRT builds using 4.x kernel and then, it's because the firmware is buggy, not because the R7800 is underpowered.

A small secret... the R7800 has 2 decicated network processors running at 800 MHz each which offload network traffic. The SoC is actually a 4 core design, with 2 CPU cores for application (running at 1.7 GHz) and the 2 mentioned network processors. There is no CTF involved like with Broadcom routers and the 2 network processors do all the work to offload/process network packets

This is one of a few reasons I always go for Qualcomm-based routers. The other is that QCA uses OpenWrt as its SDK :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!