What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.72SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I reported the same issue here and the workaround that I used was this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-70sf.59009/page-2#post-521850

Can you try the @microchip suggestion:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...sful-login/m-p/1715713/highlight/true#M122920
(Change router password to a simpler one without special characters)

Thanks guys, that worked. Now I just need to figure out why 2 devices (out of 41) won't let me commit any changes. When I click apply, I get a blank grey page in the frame and it never updates. From reading the NG forums, looks like it's a widespread issue possibly.

The really perplexing thing is that I have two iPhone 8's and two Amazon Echo's. On the iPhone 8's, one is my daughter's, which I want to de-prioritize and the other is my work phone, which I want to prioritize slightly. By default, the iPhone's are set to low, so my daughter's phone is exactly how I want it. I changed the short name and the icon and committed the changes. My work iPhone is set to low, I cannot change the icon, name, or priority. When I hit apply, it goes to the blank grey frame.

The situation is similar with the Echo's. One of them I can edit all of their information, including the icon. The other one just goes to a blank page when I commit changes. And by default, the Echo's are set to HIGH priority.

Though I switched to Asus last year but still read these threads. Voxel is doing great work to still support R7800 even in 2019~~~2020. :)

The R7800 and R9000 are definitely still *not* obsolete. Both are Wave 2 devices and this is currently the norm and will stay so in the near future until AX matures and takes over :)

The R7800 and R9000 are definitely still *not* obsolete. Both are Wave 2 devices and this is currently the norm and will stay so in the near future until AX matures and takes over :)

I'm just thankful for 3rd party firmware. I've been a Netgear customer for a long, long time but they lost me after my support experience with the R7000. I went back to Netgear hardware after a similar experience with LinkSys. The R7800 is the best router I've ever owned really, even with DD-WRT on it.

And now I have a 3rd instance. Both of them are LG android devices. One of them I can change the short name, change icon, etc. The other results in a blank grey page when I hit apply.

All of the affected devices are on the guest network. I thought maybe it was about duplicate devices in the attached devices table so I fired up two identical Lenovo laptops on the main network and immediately was able to change all of their information.

And now it shows up on the main network. I have two Kindle Fire's, one of which has been connected since I flashed the router. I turned on the 2nd one, let it connect, and tried to change its info. Nothing but a blank grey screen.

Out of curiosity, how many devices can we connect to the 7800? Is there a limit?
Considering the hardware, no practical consumer usage limit. However, as with all routers, you're going to end up at a point where things slow down if too many devices are accessing the internet simultaneously and say are downloading a lot of data. I have a bunch of hardware connected to mine, but it's not broken a sweat as of yet. It's really been the most stable, well performing router I've ever owned.

Yesterday I was installing my new cell phone. So I was saving all the files from my old cell phone to my NAS using my old laptop and Filezilla. About 40Gb of data.
So it was cell phone --> Laptop & Filezilla --> Nas.
Lots of files, big ones and small ones.
Many times, I've lost the WiFi connection. I would get the "World" icon, no more WiFi. I'd have to disable the card on my laptop and reactivate it so I could continue copying the files. Happened a lot.
Of course, I suspect the laptop to be the problem. Old laptop running Win10.
But I was just wondering if the 7800 wasn't being heavily used during those transfers.
I guess not. Which would be good, I prefer to think that my laptop is the problem. Won't be used that much then :)

Hi,
Is there a way to install an entware package directly on the router (not on a USB connected device)? I'd like to connect a USB hard drive with luks encryption to the router and for that I'd need to install cryptsetup package. The other USB port is taken by a printer, so I can't use a separate USB drive to run cryptsetup from it.

Considering the hardware, no practical consumer usage limit. However, as with all routers, you're going to end up at a point where things slow down if too many devices are accessing the internet simultaneously and say are downloading a lot of data. I have a bunch of hardware connected to mine, but it's not broken a sweat as of yet. It's really been the most stable, well performing router I've ever owned.

Yeah, I had over 45 devices connected at one time on DD-WRT and CPU never went above 3%. Granted, I don't use DNScrypt, AdBlock, or anything that might add CPU overhead but sheer number of devices doesn't seem to be an issue.

I think I have it fixed. I went in to my DHCP reservations and changed all of the entires to numbers. So like 192.168.1.20 I changed to "20". After that, they all seem to be working. Why that would have any effect I'm not sure since Attached Devices / Access Control uses whatever name the device itself reports.

I think I have it fixed. I went in to my DHCP reservations and changed all of the entires to numbers. So like 192.168.1.20 I changed to "20". After that, they all seem to be working. Why that would have any effect I'm not sure since Attached Devices / Access Control uses whatever name the device itself reports.

I use "my-device-name" (no quotes, eg: Samsung-Galaxy-J6) both in DHCP reservation and Attached Devices and it works here. Something's fishy on your end

Another user here said his wired Roku caused the issue. Once he disconnected it, everything worked fine. I think that's what is going on here. I was able to change them all earlier today. I reset to defaults, changed a bunch of them with no issues, but then started booting up other devices and the problem came back. So it's time to start shutting off devices one by one.

Honestly, I'm super frustrated right now. It was working earlier, now it's not. I've disconnect like everything from the network and there are certain devices I just can't change.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!