What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.72SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-69sf.58293/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-70sf.59009/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.72SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.70SF):

1. minidlna package is upgraded 1.2.1->1.2.1-2018-04-10.
2. (minidlna) ffmpeg package configuration is changed (to provide more stable support of the FLAC files).
3. (minidlna) ffmpeg compilation flag conflict is fixed (now it is pure Cortex-A15 target).
4. (minidlna) libogg package is upgraded 1.3.3->1.3.4.
5. (minidlna) sqlite package is upgraded 3290000->3300100.
6. expat package is upgraded 2.2.7->2.2.9 (CVE-2019-15903).
7. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.9.3->1.9.4 (CVE-2019-16866).
8. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.27->2.0.28.
9. dnsmasq package is upgraded 2.78->2.80.
10. curl package is upgraded 7.65.3->7.66.0.
11. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.6->1.9.8.
12. libubox package is upgraded 2019-06-16->2019-10-21.
13. transmission-web-control package is upgraded 2019-04-16->2019-07-24.
14. dropbear package is changed: to allow ssh forwarding.
15. e2fsprogs package: optimization for a size.
16. patch package is added (kamoj add-on, replacement of a busybox analog).
17. coreutils sort package is added (kamoj add-on, replacement of a busybox analog).
18. etherwake package is added (kamoj add-on).
19. busybox: sort and patch are disabled.
20. OpenSSL 1.0.2/1.1.1: make an order with patches.
21. Host tools (mtd-utils): Add: glibc >= 2.28 compatibility patch.
22. Host tools (m4): Add: glibc >= 2.28 compatibility patch.
23. Host tools (squashfs4): Add: glibc >= 2.28 compatibility patch.
24. Toolchain: gdb is upgraded.
25. Development platform is changed (Debian9->Debian10: glib 2.24->2.28; gcc 6.3.0->8.3.0; etc).
26. Support of new certificates for https.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

As always, thanks again for the work. Without your efforts NG would not be what it is!

Got my R7800 in january of this year, had some issues getting it up and running (1.0.62SF), but man, this is the most stable firmware I ever had on any wifi router ever, period!!

I admit that I am only using it for the basic wifi and routing stuff. No VPN (i use pfsense) or Transmission (separate server), but I trade stability and reliability over features anytime!

Before that I was using a WNDR3700 with DD-WRT for a few years. I liked some of the features, but it needed a reboot every week or so, and WiFi signal was much less. More recently I had the WiFi router from my provider and that was just a total disaster.

One thing though is that I tried setting up a 32GB USB-stick for occasional security camera recording, but that did not work reliably so I abandonded.

Now I actually hesitate to update (have not installed 72SF just yet), as I am afraid of losing some of that reliability, but I see some security vulnerabilities were patched a while ago which I probably cannot afford to ignore.

Thanks for your work Voxel, I will definitely go find that donate button one of these days!

I had tried to update the router without an internet connection, but it wouldn't. Seems NG wants me online in order to do it. This isn't your firmware since I have updated without the unit online before, also noticed the GUI was very slow without web connection. Did this because I have to contact my new ISP to release Mac address before changing routers, they were busy so thought I might save some time while on hold.

Edit: Sorry, that wasn't on topic.

I am officially not a custom firmware virgin anymore --> installed 1.0.2.72SF with a relatively high heart rate, which increased further as internet access was lost for all connected devices. Then followed the installation guide and ran internet connection wizard, and everything works now. Even all my settings were kept! First impression is super good- thanks a lot Voxel, much appreciated! Donation is done - encourage others to do so as well.

Now I actually hesitate to update (have not installed 72SF just yet), as I am afraid of losing some of that reliability, but I see some security vulnerabilities were patched a while ago which I probably cannot afford to ignore.
It has a sense to upgrade. Mainly because of kernel CVEs fixing since 1.0.2.68SF.

Voxel.

I am officially not a custom firmware virgin anymore --> installed 1.0.2.72SF with a relatively high heart rate, which increased further as internet access was lost for all connected devices. Then followed the installation guide and ran internet connection wizard, and everything works now. Even all my settings were kept! First impression is super good- thanks a lot Voxel, much appreciated! Donation is done - encourage others to do so as well.
What about your FLAC (minidlna)? Did you try?

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!