What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.72SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for doing Netgear's job for them. They've really dropped the ball with this product as of the past six months or so.
As often is the case in the tech industry, great hardware let down by poor software or lack of updates/support.

@Sizzlechest

This guy makes me crazy... :confused: Anyway thanks to him of course... He is working hard I think.

DNSCrypt-Proxy-2 2.0.31 is released. Second release today. If you wish to try:

. . .
4. Download installation package:
Code:
/usr/bin/wget https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/dnscrypt-proxy-2_2.0.31-1_ipq806x.ipk
. . .

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-72sf.59894/page-3#post-523379

The rest is the same.

P.S. IMO you will not be able to test it during long enough period... Well, buenas noches. To this guy too.

Voxel.

Last edited:
I guess the quick updates are because they found obvious bugs so released new versions quickly to patch them...

But thanks for the hard work yet again voxel.

I got around to doing it. I forgot to turn off my script to change the server list to cisco, but I'm not seeing any connection errors in the log. I'm going to leave it as cisco and see what happens.

Thanks for the fast work on 2.0.31 because the last few releases broke a lot of things.

EDIT: I just lost DNS using Cisco. I switched back to the default (Cloudflare).

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in with something... The default configuration was setting my dns server to dnscrypt.eu-nl even though Cloudflare was the lowest latency. You need to verify which server you're using by running a leaktest. I deleted all servers except cloudflare in the config and I restarted dnscrypt-proxy. I'll let you all know if this is stable.

@Voxel
Just wanted to say thanks myself for keeping this firmware updated. The R7800 is great hardware, just like you say, but I've been using your firmware since the disaster that was Netgear's firmware 1.0.0.62, when it broke my ability to use my own DNS server. Keep up the hardwork. It's very much appreciated.

Hi

Thanks for working on this!

I am trying to set up the OpenVPN server on the Voxel’ed 1.0.2.72 R7800. I have managed to set it up so that I connect to the network from outside. I have access to LAN resources using IP addresses.

I run a pi-hole as my DHCP server locally so that I can access all machines using names. The pi-hole is set as the sole DNS in the R7800 router.

However this DNS does not get forwarded to the OpenVPN clients. How can I edit the VPN Settings that the router sends out to make the clients use the local DNS for addresses ending in the local domain? I mean which girls do I edit on the router and how do I prevent them from being wiped.

thanks!

@Voxel

May I suggest switching TCP congestion control from Westwood to YeAH? From all the papers I've read, Westwood is a very greedy and often aggressive CC that often sucks up all bandwidth while at the same time does not provide fairness enough with other CCs. This is the reason why Westwood often comes on top of bandwidth benchmarks. It is also a packet loss only CC and it's been shown that hybrid CCs (packet-loss/delay-based) often provide greater fairness, smoother recovery from congestion and utilize link to full while staying fair to other connections during congestion

Do not use illinois either as it cannot even co-exist with itself. YeAH seems to offer the most balanced response between congestion control and network/bandwidth utilization

(I've already switched to yeah by modifying /etc/sysctl.conf)

May I suggest switching TCP congestion control from Westwood to YeAH?

Yes of course. Any feedback is welcome.

Regarding YeAH vs Westwood. I agree with you. There was YeAH as a default CC in my firmware. But when I've changed it to Weswood+ I've got a lot of feedbacks that users of my version now feel the real improvement of the speed. Too many guys (and ladies of course) are still using not very advanced connections (these Arris modems etc.) . And their speed is very dependent on CC. There was a lot of alarms, so I had even to prepare my special test version of fw for some guys with TV cable connection feeling the problems when their neighbors were using their TV...

If you have a good ISP with high speed (e.g. 200-500Mbps) just does not matter what CC you are using...

(I've already switched to yeah by modifying /etc/sysctl.conf)
That's right. I leave such a choice for advanced users.

P.S.

May I remind you the discussion re: Westwood+ vs YeAH:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/39582#comment-39582

;)

Good luck,

Voxel.

However this DNS does not get forwarded to the OpenVPN clients. How can I edit the VPN Settings that the router sends out to make the clients use the local DNS for addresses ending in the local domain? I mean which girls do I edit on the router and how do I prevent them from being wiped.

There is such an option (OpenVPN server config):

push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.xx.xx"

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/pushing-dhcp-options-to-clients/

You should play with it. For testing it is possible to just kill your OpenVPN servers on R7800, after that edit /tmp/server_tap.conf or/and /tmp/server_tun.conf adding this option (changing IP to your DNS). And start OpenVPN servers manually

Code:
/usr/sbin/openvpn /tmp/openvpn/server_tap.conf
/usr/sbin/openvpn /tmp/openvpn/server_tun.conf

If everything is OK: it is possible to edit /etc/init.d/openvpn adding this option...

Voxel.

Everytime I log in to my router (R7800, 72SF) I see this:
upload_2019-11-4_14-4-7.png

Is there a way to get rid of this?

Yes of course. Any feedback is welcome.

Regarding YeAH vs Westwood. I agree with you. There was YeAH as a default CC in my firmware. But when I've changed it to Weswood+ I've got a lot of feedbacks that users of my version now feel the real improvement of the speed. Too many guys (and ladies of course) are still using not very advanced connections (these Arris modems etc.) . And their speed is very dependent on CC. There was a lot of alarms, so I had even to prepare my special test version of fw for some guys with TV cable connection feeling the problems when their neighbors were using their TV...

If you have a good ISP with high speed (e.g. 200-500Mbps) just does not matter what CC you are using...

That's right. I leave such a choice for advanced users.

P.S.

May I remind you the discussion re: Westwood+ vs YeAH:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/39582#comment-39582

;)

Good luck,

Voxel.

Yes, but I got wiser since then, haha. At least I hope so. Read many papers about this subject and most agree that westwood is very greedy & aggressive. I have not done any tests myself and leave that to the researchers that do the tests and write the papers

Anyways, I'm happy I can easy switch to yeah in your firmware. :)

Yes, but I got wiser since then, haha
Yeah, me too :) Self-education is important for everybody.

I myself had to write a lot of papers (research). Not always the theory is confirmed by the practice. I've faced it with R9000 and its hardware acceleration of OpenSSL... But scientific paper from me was issued already :-( It is difficult to protest against author if an author is yourself...

So, let us leave it (Westwood+) as a default CC. Let us see what will happen in the future...

Voxel.

Not seen that message here

@Voxel

When I change a firewall setting in the GUI (example; respond to ping or NAT Type to Open/Close), it seems that my custom rules in /root/firewall-start.sh are not applied. The script is executable and I have to run it each time I change some setting.

Any idea how to make it start automatically?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!