What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.72SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Definitely use Voxel's firmware. for the past few years,they have been consistently better. I often test both, where when Netgear releases a new firmware, I would test it and do things like benchmark the storage performance on a 4TB WD red formatted to NTFS, and Voxel continues to perform better.
If NG feature set is sufficient for you than go for Voxel's FW. His FW (plus kamoj add-on) is offering great stability and expansion versus OEM FW.
However if you would like to have even more flexibility and are not afraid to spend some time to setup, fine tune and also potentially build your own FW I would recommend hnyman or KONG OpenWRT as a starting point (for me former was better).

I believe my issue with bufferbloat was caused by too aggressive Speedtest auto setting algorithm. With manually lowered up and especially downstream values I've managed to get A grade.

I have two disks connected to R7800. Both with ext4. Second one (2GB) is being recognized correctly however 2TB one seams to be recognized as ext2 and is not being mounted.
Here is the result of mount command:
Code:
mount -t ext4 -o nodev,barrier=1,data=writeback /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 failed
Another attempt:
Code:
hotplug2.mount sda1
This partition type is ext2 !
mkdir: cannot create directory '/mnt/sda1': File exists
disk name is sda last partition is sda1
hdparm: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY: Invalid argument
[USB-SMB]: Disk sda has no share information!
This HDD format can support the feature of Time Machine... ...
afpd is already running (pid = 26780), or the lock file is stale.
/bin/sh: /etc/init.d/forked-daapd: not found
killall: proftpd: no process killed
/sbin/cmdftp: cd: 859: can't cd to /tmp/ftpadmin/shares
/sbin/cmdftp: cd: 859: can't cd to /tmp/ftpguest/shares
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/umount_result': No such file or directory
Any idea what might be the reason and how to resolve it? Below disk info from kamoj add-on:
USB1: , Western Digital My Passport 0827 (My Passport 0827) USB3.0. File system:ROOTFS. Size:1.834 GB, Used:7% (0.116 GB), Free: 1.625 GB

There seem to be two problems;
  • There already exist a partition sda1
  • The sda1 is recognized as ext2 instead of ext4
There are several ways to detect devices and partitions. I have changed that in my addon v4 due to a stock FW bug :
(From the Release Note of my addon v4:
Corrected:
  • Bug identifying EXT4 file system on USB-devices
  • Bug when identifying USB-devices with several partitions
)
Please run these commands and give us the result:
Code:
CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES=$(\ls -l /sys/block | grep "sd[a-z]" | awk -F" |/" '{print $NF}' | xargs)
for USB_DEV in $CONNECTED_USB_DEVICES; do
USB_MOUNT="$(df | grep "/tmp/mnt/$USB_DEV" | head -1 | awk '{print $NF}')"
USB_MOUNTP="$(df | grep "/tmp/mnt/$USB_DEV" | head -1 | awk -F/ '{print $NF}')"
USB_FILESYS1="$(/usr/sbin/vol_id -t /dev/$USB_MOUNTP | awk '{print $0}' 2>/dev/null)"
USB_FILESYS2="$(mount | grep "$USB_MOUNT"  | head -1 | awk '{print $5}' 2>/dev/null)"
USB_FILESYS3="$(vol_id /dev/$USB_MOUNTP | grep ID_FS_TYPE | awk -F= '{print $2}')"
[ -z "$USB_FILESYS3" ] && USB_FILESYS3="$(parted -s /dev/$USB_MOUNTP print | sed -n '/Number/{n;p}' | awk '{print $5}')"
USB_FILESYS4="$(/overlay/hipplay/sbin/blkid | awk -F"\"" -v m=$USB_MOUNTP '$0~m {print $6}')"
echo "$USB_MOUNTP ($USB_MOUNT) file system is: 1:$USB_FILESYS1 or 2:$USB_FILESYS2 or 3:$USB_FILESYS3 or 4:$USB_FILESYS4"
done
I have two disks connected to R7800. Both with ext4. Second one (2GB) is being recognized correctly however 2TB one seams to be recognized as ext2 and is not being mounted.
Here is the result of mount command:
Code:
mount -t ext4 -o nodev,barrier=1,data=writeback /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
Another attempt:
Code:
hotplug2.mount sda1
This partition type is ext2 !
mkdir: cannot create directory '/mnt/sda1': File exists
disk name is sda last partition is sda1
[USB-SMB]: Disk sda has no share information!
afpd is already running (pid = 26780), or the lock file is stale.
/bin/sh: /etc/init.d/forked-daapd: not found
killall: proftpd: no process killed
/sbin/cmdftp: cd: 859: can't cd to /tmp/ftpadmin/shares
/sbin/cmdftp: cd: 859: can't cd to /tmp/ftpguest/shares
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/umount_result': No such file or directory
Any idea what might be the reason and how to resolve it? Below disk info from kamoj add-on:
USB1: , Western Digital My Passport 0827 (My Passport 0827) USB3.0. File system:ROOTFS. Size:1.834 GB, Used:7% (0.116 GB), Free: 1.625 GB

You should format it using special option, it is written in my README

Code:
mkfs.ext4 -O ^metadata_csum /dev/sda1

It is for kernel version < 3.10 (3.4.103 in R7800).

Voxel.

13 days in with Voxel's firmware and no issues. Running great on my 7800. Not sure how Netgear can sell a high end router like this and not provide a new firmware for almost a year and what looks to be a unstable one at that. Glad we have alternatives. (thanks voxel)

Next router will not be a Netgear.

Thanks for the firmware, running very smoothly.
Quick question and I'm sure it's probably been asked before. But is plex server possible on this router like with the higher end ones?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I installed the latest firmware a few days ago and since that time my Pixel 3XL phone has significant trouble connecting and using wifi. I've rebooted the router and it has no improvements. I have two R7000 routers set up as bridge adapters and they seem to work fine.

I downgraded to .70 firmware and the issue appears to be gone now.

Speedtests via speedtest.net showed download speeds in the 60s with .72 firmware. I get speeds of 230 with .70 firmware.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I installed the latest firmware a few days ago and since that time my Pixel 3XL phone has significant trouble connecting and using wifi. I've rebooted the router and it has no improvements. I have two R7000 routers set up as bridge adapters and they seem to work fine.

I downgraded to .70 firmware and the issue appears to be gone now.

Speedtests via speedtest.net showed download speeds in the 60s with .72 firmware. I get speeds of 230 with .70 firmware.

There are changes 72SF vs 70SF of course but they do not touch network performance. Rather multimedia... No changes in QCA drivers etc. Maybe you should backup your settings, then factory reset and restore the settings from backup. Or to set-up them anew...

Voxel.

Hi @Voxel,

Love your work. I am using latest Voxel Firmware (VF) on my Netgear R7800 router. I am facing one problem in each and every VF build. I am using USB drive on my router. I can access the storage from all the devices in "SMB" mode. But if I select "UPnP" mode I can't stream or use files from the drive. UPnP drive works perfect with stock firmware. Am I missing something? Do I have to change any settings on router..?

Last edited:
There are changes 72SF vs 70SF of course but they do not touch network performance. Rather multimedia... No changes in QCA drivers etc. Maybe you should backup your settings, then factory reset and restore the settings from backup. Or to set-up them anew...

Voxel.
My fire tv (sloane) is connected via wifi with my R7800 (same room, about 2m distance). Since some time there are regulary disturbances in die video image.
When I switch off the R7800, the fire tv connects to my Fritzbox (3 rooms away, but signal is strong enough) and there is not a single disturbance in the video stream.

Does anybody has similar issues? I am not sure since which Voxel/Netgear fw this problem appears and atm I have no time for downgrading my R7800 and watch tv all day looking for image disturbances :D

My fire tv (sloane) is connected via wifi with my R7800 (same room, about 2m distance). Since some time there are regulary disturbances in die video image.
When I switch off the R7800, the fire tv connects to my Fritzbox (3 rooms away, but signal is strong enough) and there is not a single disturbance in the video stream.

Does anybody has similar issues? I am not sure since which Voxel/Netgear fw this problem appears and atm I have no time for downgrading my R7800 and watch tv all day looking for image disturbances :D
Which band (2.4 or 5 GHz) and which channels are your Fritzbox wifi and 7800 wifi operating on?

Do you have neighbors with wifi close by?

I live in a high rise condo and with wifi radios everywhere. I set my 7800 to a DFS channel and which has zero congestion from my neighbors.

My FTV Stick 4K works with DFS channels but my older FTV Stick (2nd gen) doesn't. However, I put both Sticks on wired LAN adapters so neither one use wifi.

Only my devices that don't have a wired LAN connection such as cell phones use (5Ghz) wifi. I have one older tablet that can only use 2.4GHz which is super congested here. However, my 7800 2.4GHz radio seems strong enough to overcome my neighbors' wifi.

Last edited:
But if I select "UPnP" mode I can't stream or use files from the drive. UPnP drive works perfect with stock firmware. Am I missing something? Do I have to change any settings on router..?
Sorry, I do not have the codes of miniupnpd (UPnP daemon): it is enclosed part of NG's GPL sources.

Moreover I'd not recommend to use UPnP at all because of the same reason: version of miniupnpd used by NG/DNI is too old. Very-very old. And there are a lot of potential security holes.

FYI: I use other version of samba, with different config vs stock. So maybe some differences in its behavior vs stock version...

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!