What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74.4SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for the update, @Voxel . I appreciate your continuing support of this router.

FYI, with this update (from V1.0.2.74.3SF), the router lost all of its settings. I have applied each of your updates for about a year, and that has never happened before.

Is Kamoj's add on included with 74.4SF for was it removed. I saw that a prior version, I think 74.3. or .2 already had the add on inlcuded in the UI and I didn't have to use telnet to add it. Was wondering if I missed something?

Not included.
Is Kamoj's add on included with 74.4SF for was it removed. I saw that a prior version, I think 74.3. or .2 already had the add on inlcuded in the UI and I didn't have to use telnet to add it. Was wondering if I missed something?

FYI, with this update (from V1.0.2.74.3SF), the router lost all of its settings. I have applied each of your updates for about a year, and that has never happened before.

I bet you caught the bug too. If you reboot your router do you lose all of your settings?

Thank you for the update, @Voxel . I appreciate your continuing support of this router.

Same thing happened to me.

I tried to use the NETGEAR_R7800.cfg file after installing 74.4SF but it wouldn't restore my settings. Had to enter them manually.

Have another issue where if I have Traffic Meter enabled and DST checked, I get Shields Up All Service Ports errors. Strange.

Last edited:
Ok, just added it via tel net. Will this be continued as a manual add on or will it be eventually included in Voxels FW?

Not included.

If you have a USB drive attached to the router I suggest that you download the KAmoj addon onto the usb drive *instead* of the
root directory of the router. You can run the Kamoj addon install from the usb drive and your downloaded installation file will
survive reboots of the router and allow you to perform an immediate re-install even through firmware updates.

I was wondering if Voxel is going to include his add-on in future updates or will he keep the add on as a manual installation. The addon survives reboots so I don't have to keep adding it. Only when certain FW updates will it go away then I'll have to re-add it. I think it was included in v72 then it was removed on subsequent versions. Just wondering if it will be included as a standard add on in future FW versions. I'm good with manually installing it too. Only takes a couple of minutes and were up and running after a FW update.

Great add-on Kamoj. Glad to see it integrated in the main UI now. ;)I have to keep telling my self to look at the main UI and not in the debug page. LOL. Force of habit. :rolleyes:

We have talked about including a way to install the add-on from the Voxel FW.
But I have not had time to code that.
And then Voxel has to agree of course.

Now the important thing is to get the 5.1 version ready, since it has a lot more functionality and bug fixes.
If possible (time...) I'll add a backup/restore function that can be used if you don't want to restore the (possibly corrupt) original backup-configuration file.
PS
An interesting fact is that there are more R9000 beta testers now than R7800!
Ok, just added it via tel net. Will this be continued as a manual add on or will it be eventually included in Voxels FW?

I bet you caught the bug too. If you reboot your router do you lose all of your settings?

Not so far. Immediately after the update, I had a "virgin" router (no saved settings). But I have tweaked the settings several times since then, and many of the tweaks have forced the router to restart. Nothing has been lost. I haven't pulled the power (cold restart); don't really want to press my luck (the router is off-site, and I am configuring remotely).

I also installed 1.0.2.74.4SF on a "virgin" R7800 (i.e. factory reset after install, then setup manually). Have done several reboots and haven't had any issue with losing settings.

I clarified my prior post. My issues started with 74.4SF. I edited my post to reflect that. Prior to running 74.4SF, I was running 74.1SF successfully.
This is the same sequence in my case--I had been on 74.1SF successfully for several months, and then last Tuesday is when I experienced the lost settings issue (while running 74.1SF). I did not realize the issue with failed NVRAM immediately, and so I figured it was a good opportunity to upgrade, and I installed the updated 74.4SF instead. Anyway, after reading your and @Droidrat's subsequent comments, I am still chalking it up to unlucky coincidence at this point. As further evidence this is probably not related to 74.4SF, on my newly received R7800 RMA replacement, I installed 74.4SF directly and have had not problems with it (including full power cycles).

I do not think 74.4SF has much to do with losing NVRAM settings. I also did the upgrade and did not lose anything. There's a whole thread on NG's forum about the R7800 losing settings after reboot. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...etting-to-default-configurations/td-p/1541864
Yes, I agree--indeed, I have tried to make that clear from my postings because I don't want folks to half read something, and come to the wrong conclusion. I think it is simply a matter of unfortunate coincidence that several folks have reported this here about the same time.

Ok, thanks for the info. I think it would be a great addition to his FW. Very helpful and nice to know what the router is doing.

Interesting indeed. I would have thought there would have been more R7800 testers, however maybe some just don't want to test.

I presume there is enough testers for both. o_O

We have talked about including a way to install the add-on from the Voxel FW.
But I have not had time to code that.
And then Voxel has to agree of course.

Now the important thing is to get the 5.1 version ready, since it has a lot more functionality and bug fixes.
If possible (time...) I'll add a backup/restore function that can be used if you don't want to restore the (possibly corrupt) original backup-configuration file.
PS
An interesting fact is that there are more R9000 beta testers now than R7800!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!