What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.75.1SF & v. 1.0.2.75.2SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I upgraded from 74.3SF to 74.4SF, I did a soft restart, and found that I had lost all of my settings. I don't recall that ever happening before. However, as I re-entered the settings, I rebooted several times (again, soft restarts) and the settings were retained.

When I upgraded from 74.5SF to 75.2SF, the settings were also retained. But, again, I did a soft restart.

Then, yesterday, we lost power briefly, so the modem did a cold / hard restart. All of the settings were lost. It isn't the end of the world to reconfigure (I've become quite good at it), but it is problematic because I have renamed the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, so if the settings are lost, the client devices don't automatically reconnect on the restart.

I haven't tried anything to fix this. Ideas include installing the most recent NG firmware, or an earlier Voxel version. Am hoping someone can tell me how to fix this (yes, I know it was reported by someone else in the 74.4SF thread). Your analysis or advice, please.

When I upgraded from 74.3SF to 74.4SF, I did a soft restart, and found that I had lost all of my settings. I don't recall that ever happening before. However, as I re-entered the settings, I rebooted several times (again, soft restarts) and the settings were retained.

When I upgraded from 74.5SF to 75.2SF, the settings were also retained. But, again, I did a soft restart.

Then, yesterday, we lost power briefly, so the modem did a cold / hard restart. All of the settings were lost. It isn't the end of the world to reconfigure (I've become quite good at it), but it is problematic because I have renamed the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, so if the settings are lost, the client devices don't automatically reconnect on the restart.

I haven't tried anything to fix this. Ideas include installing the most recent NG firmware, or an earlier Voxel version. Am hoping someone can tell me how to fix this (yes, I know it was reported by someone else in the 74.4SF thread). Your analysis or advice, please.
Same problem for me... Probably not related to Voxel’s FW
More about it here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-will-no-longer-save-settings-after-reboot.62773/

For what I understand from this forum and Netgear’s support forum, this is a hardware problem and the solution is RMA...

I am interested by any input and alternative solution as well...

While I was able to fix not accessing my NAS I'm still having DHCP not being released, refreshed, etc., issues for clients. Nothing fancy as in reserved DHCP's, etc.

I'm getting clients who are trying to use the same IP addresses. I've had to turn off those clients wireless, boot the router, once its back all the way, turn on wireless clients one at a time.

I've NEVER had to do that before.

I was pretty sure this had been answered before, but, for the life of me I cannot find it.

If I use the nighthawk app to individually approve or block devices on our network, it doesn’t always seem to work.

Just now, my sons iPad is blocked and it is listed as “blocked” when I look at attached devices within the router menu. However, he is able to use the network on his iPad no problem.

Is this a known bug? I’m using 1.0.2.75.2SF and Kamoj’s add on.

Upgraded recently to 1.0.2.75.2SF, and can't get my L2TP/IPSec VPN client connections to work. All other VPN clients (Cisco, Netscaler, F5, Citrix) work fine. Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated, because I finally got a version which doesn't reset the router every day or so (stock firmware and a couple of versions before were doing that).

I was pretty sure this had been answered before, but, for the life of me I cannot find it.

If I use the nighthawk app to individually approve or block devices on our network, it doesn’t always seem to work.

Just now, my sons iPad is blocked and it is listed as “blocked” when I look at attached devices within the router menu. However, he is able to use the network on his iPad no problem.

I have the same issue. Access control mostly works again after a reboot but it is not ideal.

I have the same issue with my son's iPad, it's pretty random, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...
I'm using v1.0.2.75.2 and I remember happening also with Voxel's previous revision of his firmware... It can be an issue related to the app...

For me it's the same in the app as in the GUI, without reboot it won't switch some devices from blocked to allowed and vise versa.

After many successful upgrades of the Voxel firmware using the web interface in the past, I have had trouble with the last to upgrades from v1.0.2.74.1 to 1.0.2.74.4 and from 1.0.2.74.4 to 1.0.2.75.2. With these two upgrades I bricked the router, resulting in a blinking power light. Each time I was able to recover using tftp without problems. However, I do wonder why this is. Any advice is appreciated.

After many successful upgrades of the Voxel firmware using the web interface in the past, I have had trouble with the last to upgrades from v1.0.2.74.1 to 1.0.2.74.4 and from 1.0.2.74.4 to 1.0.2.75.2. With these two upgrades I bricked the router, resulting in a blinking power light. Each time I was able to recover using tftp without problems. However, I do wonder why this is. Any advice is appreciated.
Hello,
Could you explain how you do that please? Or if you could point me to a site explaining that?
Thanx a lot :)

When you say bricked, do you mean the web interface was not available? I'm wondering if this is related to the issue where after the router is rebooted, you lose DNS. The second light flashes amber. The workaround is to unplug the WAN cable and plug it back in during reboot.

When you say bricked, do you mean the web interface was not available? I'm wondering if this is related to the issue where after the router is rebooted, you lose DNS. The second light flashes amber. The workaround is to unplug the WAN cable and plug it back in during reboot.
To clarify, it's a softbrick since tftp can recover the device. The problem goes beyond unavailability of the web GUI. After transfer of the firmware, the power LED starts blinking white with a regular on/off cadence and this goes on endlessly. The hardwired network connections and radios never turn on. So this is not just DNS. Also, I run the router as an access point and do not have a cable connected to WAN. There is only one ethernet cable going in to port 1. I googled the blinking white light and believe it stand for a corrupted firmware image. I just do not know why this would be since I updated the firmware through the web interface at least a dozen times.

I'm having some issues or it's probably my bad because I'm trying to get the maximum out of the router, so whit cable I'm getting 900Mbps download and 500Mbps upload, but over wifi is just 249Mbps down and 247Mbps up. All this a couple of mounts ago it was way higher around mid 400Mbps, since than I just updated for the newer firmware and that's all what I have done.
Anyone has some idea what it's causing?

Hi, I'm still trying to compile from source but I'm missing the following packages and I can't seem to find them anywhere:
  1. flux
  2. libnl-bf (there isn't a git commit that matches the hash g7d47666eb3c414feb8901970d35b96461214c2bf)
  3. macoui-db (your GitHub has a prebuilt package but it's an older version and not version 20171023105552-g5dacf32)
  4. mp707 (nonexistent git commit af6ab2c371c77a6237a90ae2b078db8f)
  5. policy-redis
  6. qca-nss-fw
  7. tresbar
  8. wopr-db
I noticed a lot of the packages were trying to download from what looks to be an internal Qualcomm website. Could you point to where I can find the source for these or if they're proprietary and not publicly available, provide the prebuilt ipkg packages please?

PasteBin of running
Code:
make package/download V=w -k
https://pastebin.com/5Jw3x4zp

Last edited:
Same problem for me... Probably not related to Voxel’s FW
More about it here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-will-no-longer-save-settings-after-reboot.62773/

For what I understand from this forum and Netgear’s support forum, this is a hardware problem and the solution is RMA...

I am interested by any input and alternative solution as well...

It is a hardware problem, specifically NVRAM going bad. Considering there is no CMOS battery inside, it's not even an option to replace battery.

Approx 13 months ago my R7800 had the same problem. There was another post on SNBFORUMS / Netgear regarding it and others had the same issue. After I RMA'd, I purchased an R9000 instead.

Fast Forward exactly 1 year later (last week) my R9000 had the same problem. Warranty was about to be up within 2 days of it happening. I called Netgear right away and they set up an RMA for me.

You don't hear people on Official Firmware having the issue because almost nobody here is on Official Firmware. Most if not all are on Voxel's.

But if you go on to the Netgear Forum, people are having the same problem on the Official Firmware.

My only suggestion is... If you're still within 1 year warranty, Call Netgear and have it RMA'd.

It is a hardware problem, specifically NVRAM going bad. Considering there is no CMOS battery inside, it's not even an option to replace battery.

Approx 13 months ago my R7800 had the same problem. There was another post on SNBFORUMS / Netgear regarding it and others had the same issue. After I RMA'd, I purchased an R9000 instead.

Fast Forward exactly 1 year later (last week) my R9000 had the same problem. Warranty was about to be up within 2 days of it happening. I called Netgear right away and they set up an RMA for me.

You don't hear people on Official Firmware having the issue because almost nobody here is on Official Firmware. Most if not all are on Voxel's.

But if you go on to the Netgear Forum, people are having the same problem on the Official Firmware.

My only suggestion is... If you're still within 1 year warranty, Call Netgear and have it RMA'd.
I bought my R7800 in December 2018 so it's out of warranty.

I did have an issue where the R7800 lost it's contents while under warranty and I called them to report. At that time, they wouldn't replace it.

I suppose I could call them and have them look up the prior support ticket and ask for a replacement since I reported it in warranty. I think they'll blow me off though.

Fortunately, it's a rare occurrence when I lose power. However, it would be nice to update Voxel firmware without the nvram issues making it more difficult.

Currently running 74.4SF. I'm afraid to muck with it during our shelter-in-home order.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!