What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.82SF & v. 1.0.2.82.1SF & v. 1.0.2.82.2SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FWIW: R7800, dual fan-USB powered laptop cooler (very quiet), always on, basement (Winter in NorthEast, USA)

root@R7800:/sys/devices/virtual/thermal$ cat thermal_zone*/temp

Just FYI: CVE-2021-23840 and CVE-2021-23841 are fixed in latest snapshot.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-23840
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-23841

Plus OpenVPN 2.5.0->2.5.1.

Voxel.
Now that you are releasing snapshots, what it the anticipated timeframe between snapshots (presumably cumulative) and a release? I appreciate that the circumstances of the change(s) may, to some degree, drive the answer, so I'm simply seeking a general guidance. Once a month?

Now that you are releasing snapshots, what it the anticipated timeframe between snapshots (presumably cumulative) and a release? I appreciate that the circumstances of the change(s) may, to some degree, drive the answer, so I'm simply seeking a general guidance. Once a month?

Well. As a rule, regular published officially update: monthly. But what to do if the next day after official release I see that now, today, high score CVE is fixed... Again re-release?

So, it depends on the current situation. I have to monitor the important updates and to add the fix into my build. What I am using myself. No schedule, sorry.

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/R7800-Voxel-firmware/SnapShot/

Voxel.

Maybe It's just my delusion but I think that after installing the snapshot version on R7800 I see weaker WLAN signal and range (around 3-5 dBm lower in my furthest room) for both 2.4 an 5 GHz bands.
I'm using WiFiman app on six Android devices and a Win 10 Laptop to monitor the signal strength. Does anyone else experience the same.

Maybe It's just my delusion but I think that after installing the snapshot version on R7800 I see weaker WLAN signal and range (around 3-5 dBm lower in my furthest room) for both 2.4 an 5 GHz bands.
I'm using WiFiman app on six Android devices and a Win 10 Laptop to monitor the signal strength. Does anyone else experience the same.
I have not observed any difference with WLAN signal after installing the 1.0.2.82.4SF snapshot on an R7800 running in AP mode, using Wifi Analyzer android app. Kamoj add-on router information page displays Tx-Power (100%):29 dBm (794 mW) for both bands.

Fiber to the premise is coming to my location. I will be upgrading from slow DSL with a Netgear N300 to Gig speed fiber with a new Netgear R7800.

It is my intent to use Voxel firmware. I have several very basic questions as to best approach. Is there a basic primer anyone can point me to so I don't waste your time with my simple questions?

Some of my very basic questions:
  1. Should I setup my new R7800 on my existing DSL service or wait until the new fiber is lit and set it up on the new connection?
  2. When I setup the R7800 should I flash it to the latest current Netgear firmware first, then to Voxel firmware?
  3. What should I be wary of during install?
My use load:
  • 4 desktop PC
  • 2 MS Surface, 1 chromebook
  • 1 smart tv
  • 5 phones (2 apple, 3 android)
  • a few IOT devices
I also have bitdefender VPN available to use, but have not installed it since my current connection is too slow. Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere. Thank you.

r7s

Fiber to the premise is coming to my location. I will be upgrading from slow DSL with a Netgear N300 to Gig speed fiber with a new Netgear R7800.

It is my intent to use Voxel firmware. I have several very basic questions as to best approach. Is there a basic primer anyone can point me to so I don't waste your time with my simple questions?

Some of my very basic questions:
  1. Should I setup my new R7800 on my existing DSL service or wait until the new fiber is lit and set it up on the new connection?
  2. When I setup the R7800 should I flash it to the latest current Netgear firmware first, then to Voxel firmware?
  3. What should I be wary of during install?
My use load:
  • 4 desktop PC
  • 2 MS Surface, 1 chromebook
  • 1 smart tv
  • 5 phones (2 apple, 3 android)
  • a few IOT devices
I also have bitdefender VPN available to use, but have not installed it since my current connection is too slow. Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere. Thank you.

r7s
Hello @r7s

1. As you want, it does not matter.
Using it first with your ADSL can help you to get familiar with the R7800. On the other hand, you might want to have a fresh install directly on your final setup. It is up to you, but you can always

2. Flash directly the latest @Voxel . Any prior flash does not matter.

3. It should be pretty straightforward. And work as is.
To improve efficiency, make sure to remove anything useless and you don’t want. I am thinking transmission, QoS, traffic meter, NGCloud, UPnP (definitely QoS and traffic meter, the rest is up tou your needs).
If you want to fine tune, then you can read many subjects in this forum to tweak this or that. You can use @kamoj addon if you don’t want to do to much command line but still have access to many fine tuning parameters.

R7800 will be very fine for your network.

Hi @Voxel ,

Is it possible to add HTTP/2 and TLS 1.3 support in curl?

I think it needs to be built with nghttp2 and openssl 1.1.1 as my Ubuntu binary shows the following:

Code:
$ curl -V
curl 7.68.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3
Release-Date: 2020-01-08
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtmp rtsp scp sftp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS brotli GSS-API HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy IDN IPv6 Kerberos Largefile libz NTLM NTLM_WB PSL SPNEGO SSL TLS-SRP UnixSockets

Thanks

Hi,
Is it possible to add HTTP/2 and TLS 1.3 support in curl?

I think it needs to be built with nghttp2 and openssl 1.1.1 as my Ubuntu binary shows the following:

Unfortunately it is impossible (OpenSSL 1.1.1). I already tried but I had to roll back. Because of:

(1) curl consists of curl itself and libcurl (used by curl).
(2) Also libcurl is used by some pre-built binaries (no codes) taken from NG/DNI GPL sources of the stock firmware, such important as net-cgi (WebGUI), ReadyCLOUD, QoS etc.
(3) These pre-built binaries are compiled by NG/DNI with OpenSSL 1.0.2

So if I compile curl with OpenSSL 1.1.1, for example net-cgi will refer to both:

through libcurl to libcrypto.so.1.1/libssl.so.1.1 (OpenSSL 1.1.1)
directly to libcrypto.so.1.0.0/libssl.so.1.0.0 (OpenSSL 1.0.2)

and some functions of net-cgi will not work or even crash of program.

The same is e.g. for ReadyCLOUD.

Problem is in NG/DNI: they still are using OpenSSL 1.0.2h (3 May 2016). Even in the latest stock 1.0.2.80

Voxel.

On an R7800 running in router mode:
Uninstalled Kamoj Add-on V5.4b20, rebooted, upgraded from Voxel 1.0.2.82.2SF to 1.0.2.82.4SF, auto-rebooted, installed Kamoj Add-on V5.4b22
Used Kamoj's entware_install.sh script to install Entware on external USB storage /tmp/mnt/sda1 (ext4), rebooted
Installed and enabled aegis 1.7.3, including its Web Companion, on external drive: /mnt/sda1 with logging
Able to use active Aegis link under Kamoj Menu

Noted RAM usage increased from (38.8% 183 / 472 MB) to (51.8% 244 / 472 MB)
Stable after up time of 44 hours and counting.

Thanks Voxel / Kamoj / HELLO_wORLD.

There is no doubt this router can do 1gig easily . but any idea what is max device this can support before seeing throttling even with 300Mbps line .

This is wave 2 and still have power chipset no doubt but just wondering when the total devices demanding local and internet transfer even best snuggle to deliver

i have 20+ devices with 300 Mbps symmetrical line . Previously had 200Mbps line and was getting 30MB/s up and download simultaneously without any issues. After recent upgrade to 300Mbps i am seeing a throttling speed say it does 390-450Mbps easily on upload or download. But simultaneous up & down is throttling either. I intially though its ISP limitation but its not

Mine has the same results too :
root@R7800:/$ uptime
22:14:05 up 7 days, 2:54, load average: 4.15, 4.05, 4.05

That's why it's a bit hot too, 52° almost all the time...
I flashed OpenWRT (21.02 branch) to try it out and the loads are drastically lower.

And, the speeds have increased a lot.

1615699117056.png

I flashed OpenWRT (21.02 branch) to try it out and the loads are drastically lower.

And, the speeds have increased a lot.

View attachment 31945
@RainGater96 This is not a thread about OpeWRT but your post is good so anyone can compare and share their results. I'm interested in your 2.4GHz Wlan speeds with OpenWRT. I personally recommend if you use OpenWRT to try the OpenWRT builds with NSS offloading too and if you want try the Master branch build too for more complete view of the performance.

Last edited:
@RainGater96 This is not a thread about OpeWRT but your post is good so anyone can compare and share their results. I'm interested in your 2.4GHz Wlan speeds with OpenWRT. I personally recommend if you use OpenWRT to try the OpenWRT builds with NSS offloading too and if you want the Master branch build too for more complete view of the performance.
Yes, good idea. Since OpenWRT is open source, when possible, anything working better than NG (with NSS) could be transposed into @Voxel ’s firmwares.
Why not opening a dedicated thread for that?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!