What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.83SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Compilation is not the only problem I think...

As far as I understand it is possible to use the options -u root -g root... But does not work as well. I cannot be an expert in all of packages of firmware, e.g. this zebra... Sorry.

Good luck with your attempts.

Voxel.
I was able to compile quagga 1.2.4 with this Config:
Code:
root@HERMES:/tmp/mnt/sda1/building/quagga-1.2.4$ ./configure --target=arm-openwrt-linux --host=arm-openwrt-linux --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --prefix=/opt --exec-prefix=/opt --bindir=/opt/bin --sbindir=/opt/sbin --libexecdir=/opt/lib --sysconfdir=/opt/etc --datadir=/opt/share --localstatedir=/opt/var --mandir=/opt/man --infodir=/opt/info --disable-nls --localstatedir=/opt/var/run/quagga --sysconfdir=/opt/etc/quagga/ --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-user=root --enable-group=root --enable-multipath=8 --disable-ospfclient --disable-capabilities --disable-doc --disable-nhrpd --enable-zebra --disable-ospfd --disable-bgpd --disable-isisd --disable-ospf6d --disable-ripd --enable-ripngd --disable-vtysh
Then make, make install, and I was able to launch zebra and ripngd no problem :)
Running now. Will see over time if it creates problems.

I was able to compile quagga 1.2.4 with this Config:
Code:
root@HERMES:/tmp/mnt/sda1/building/quagga-1.2.4$ ./configure --target=arm-openwrt-linux --host=arm-openwrt-linux --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --prefix=/opt --exec-prefix=/opt --bindir=/opt/bin --sbindir=/opt/sbin --libexecdir=/opt/lib --sysconfdir=/opt/etc --datadir=/opt/share --localstatedir=/opt/var --mandir=/opt/man --infodir=/opt/info --disable-nls --localstatedir=/opt/var/run/quagga --sysconfdir=/opt/etc/quagga/ --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-user=root --enable-group=root --enable-multipath=8 --disable-ospfclient --disable-capabilities --disable-doc --disable-nhrpd --enable-zebra --disable-ospfd --disable-bgpd --disable-isisd --disable-ospf6d --disable-ripd --enable-ripngd --disable-vtysh
Then make, make install, and I was able to launch zebra and ripngd no problem :)
Running now. Will see over time if it creates problems.
Parfait.

Voxel.

Parfait.

Voxel.
Ok, after several days, all seems fine with latest zebra and ripngd for me, I suppose it could be upgraded safely.

I started to experiment with latest radvd (2.19 vs 1.5), and I was able to compile it fine, It does send advertisement, but it seems to mess a little with IPv6 routes that I need to correct manually, so for now radvd should not be upgraded. If I can figure out how to make it work, I will post so it could then be upgraded.

Been running Voxel's 1.0.2.60SF and realized there are a number of updates. It has been flawless....

Apologies for the basic question, should I update to 1.02.83SF, reset to defaults and rebuild my settings, or just update and keep settings? I know from history sometimes jumping a number of FW updates rebuild has been preferred years gone by...... Don't have any add ons, just a number of fixed LAN IPs, no vpn through the router, a mix of wired and wireless.
Suggestions?
Thanks

Are none of you having issues with 5G Wi-Fi dropping? By that I mean on wireless connections, it will go from "connected" to "connected without internet" every few minutes. It is driving me up a wall.

I have run inSSIDer to make sure there is no interference (single family home with neighbors spaced out) and there are no other 5g Wi-Fi signals in range.

I am using channel 1 on my Verizon router (2.4g) whereas during my first factory reset I had disabled broadcasting. I reenabled broadcasting because prior to the first factory reset, it was broadcasting (wanted to make sure 2nd reset had same settings as when things were working fine).

Channel 11 on 2.4g R7800, and 36 on R7800. I have never had these wifi connectivity issues before.

I have factory reset my R7800 and Verizon router (actiontec Rev I) now twice because after I did it the first time (when I rewired everything), it kept having issues. It does occasionally have issues with wired connections losing internet, though not as often as wireless.

At this point I am considering downgrading to R7800-V1.0.2.82.2SF2, last updated 2/16/2021. I know for sure after having done the second factory reset yesterday that it doesn't do anything. Even though I upgraded to this current version about three weeks ago, I started having issues after turning off the fios ONT and restarting both routers (didn't touch anything). In other words, I don't think that I ever restarted the R7800 after upgrading the firmware (was good for like 2 weeks).

One question I have for you guys is should the Lan port from the R7800 be going into the WAN, or LAN of my Verizon router? The Verizon router is used to give TV guide information to the basement fios stb, though the stb is connected via coax to the verizon router.

I had the R7800 Lan connected to the Verizon router Wan for the first factory reset (what Verizon tech support said when I said the Verizon router was behind my R7800). When things were working fine, I had my R7800 Lan connected to the Verizon router Lan port.

I don't know if there is a way to reset the fios ONT (other than unplug ONT battery for a few minutes). I have unplugged the ONT each time I did the factory reset.

One reason why factory resets take so much time is because every time I do them, the R7800 setup gives me the error:

An existing router or gateway is detected in your network. It appears that you are installing the NETGEAR router behind your existing Internet service provider WiFi router or gateway. You can choose to install your router in different operation modes.

Also for whatever reason, the router password always gives me an error, even though I am using a password manager and I know that the password is right. I have to go through the reset password (using router serial number) and if I get lucky it works.

Keep in mind that this is while the Verizon ONT is connected to the internet port of the R7800 and the only other thing connected to the R7800 is my laptop via a Lan port (wired ethernet). This makes absolutely no sense to me. Do I have to "release" the Verizon router? If I factory reset both routers while they are not connected to anything, and restart the ONT by unplugging and replugging the power cable, shouldn't all devices automatically assign themselves IPs in the order they are connected to the network/internet?

I'm typing this on my phone because for some reason my laptop can't connect to the internet via 5g wifi -_- at this point if I a downgrade doesn't fix the 5g wifi issues, I'm going to rent the g3100 Verizon router and put the R7800 behind the G3100 in access point mode. I don't know how this will affect wifi performance, but if that takes a hit, then I'm going to look into buying a different router to replace the R7800, or hire someone to fix this because I have spent hours on this already.

Last edited:
It depends on which device you hit. Both on same IP then netgear will change to avoid conflict ie 10.0.0.x usually. you will see that notice. Immediately change to preferred other than modem usually 192 series.

I dont get fios oNT and verizon router. It looks to be LTE modem. why two devices are used which is prime source of internet. Verizon LTE or other.

It depends on which device you hit. Both on same IP then netgear will change to avoid conflict ie 10.0.0.x usually. you will see that notice. Immediately change to preferred other than modem usually 192 series.

I dont get fios oNT and verizon router. It looks to be LTE modem. why two devices are used which is prime source of internet. Verizon LTE or other.
Sorry, I reread this three times and can't figure out what you are saying. I'm not sure why a network extender would affect wifi signal, especially on a tablet without a sim card. 2.4g wifi on r7800 has issues as well so my issues are not isolated to anything obvious (to me at least)

Downgraded, restarted ONT, then factory reset the R7800 and everything is good on 5G WiFi for the past 10 minutes. Hoping that does the trick.

Are none of you having issues with 5G Wi-Fi dropping? By that I mean on wireless connections, it will go from "connected" to "connected without internet" every few minutes. It is driving me up a wall.
Now that you say this, I think I have been seeing this a bit over the last few days/weeks. I hadn't connected it to the upgrade to v83 until now.

It's not quite been noticeable enough for me to try to troubleshoot: I'v enoticed 3-4 times that I seem to have Wifi 5 signal, but I cannot connect to it/the network becomes unavailable. Things are probably partially being hidden by my EX7500 network extender, which is what the laptop I am using is connected to.

Now that you say this, I think I have been seeing this a bit over the last few days/weeks. I hadn't connected it to the upgrade to v83 until now.

It's not quite been noticeable enough for me to try to troubleshoot: I'v enoticed 3-4 times that I seem to have Wifi 5 signal, but I cannot connect to it/the network becomes unavailable. Things are probably partially being hidden by my EX7500 network extender, which is what the laptop I am using is connected to.
It was definitely the firmware downgrade that fixed the wifi issues. It is probably most noticeable to people who get no cell signal inside their house, who aren't using cell-phone network extenders and who are entirely reliant on wifi.

This morning I ate through two gigabytes of mobile data in like 10 minutes while connected to R7800 5g wifi. I just thought that I caught a break on my phone and things were just working (even though my s7+ tablet wasn't working via wifi). I didn't think that the cell signal extender could be the reason (since my tablet doesn't have a sim card).

I had "switch to mobile data" and "download booster" both turned off. Switch to mobile data uses "mobile data whenever your Wi-Fi internet connection is slow or unstable." On the other hand, download booster downloads files over 30 MB faster by using wifi and mobile data at the same time.

There was no "connected without internet" message on my wifi. I only found out there was an issue when I got a data overage text lol (has been a tough month with the wifi issues). You don't appreciate good internet until you get issues.

Turns out that my phone had been getting the internet from one of my two cell-phone network extenders (connected via switch which is connected to R7800 Lan port 2).

I don't know why I did not get the "connected without internet" message on the wifi connection. I know the phone was getting internet via cell signal extender while connected to R7800 wifi, but it should have told me that the wifi wasn't the source... Oh well, things are fixed now. If I see something like this in the future on a different router and go through the factory reset and know the wiring is fine, I now know I should check to see if downgrading firmware fixes the issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-045619_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-045619_Settings.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20210411-045358_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-045358_Settings.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
It was definitely the firmware downgrade that fixed the wifi issues. It is probably most noticeable to people who get no cell signal inside their house, who aren't using cell-phone network extenders and who are entirely reliant on wifi.

This morning I ate through two gigabytes of mobile data in like 10 minutes while connected to R7800 5g wifi. I just thought that I caught a break on my phone and things were just working (even though my s7+ tablet wasn't working via wifi). I didn't think that the cell signal extender could be the reason (since my tablet doesn't have a sim card).

I had "switch to mobile data" and "download booster" both turned off. Switch to mobile data uses "mobile data whenever your Wi-Fi internet connection is slow or unstable." On the other hand, download booster downloads files over 30 MB faster by using wifi and mobile data at the same time.

There was no "connected without internet" message on my wifi. I only found out there was an issue when I got a data overage text lol (has been a tough month with the wifi issues). You don't appreciate good internet until you get issues.

Turns out that my phone had been getting the internet from one of my two cell-phone network extenders (connected via switch which is connected to R7800 Lan port 2).

I don't know why I did not get the "connected without internet" message on the wifi connection. I know the phone was getting internet via cell signal extender while connected to R7800 wifi, but it should have told me that the wifi wasn't the source... Oh well, things are fixed now. If I see something like this in the future on a different router and go through the factory reset and know the wiring is fine, I now know I should check to see if downgrading firmware fixes the issue.
Please make sure you do not use a DFS channel for the WiFi.
Usage of DFS can cut off the WiFi at any moment, since that is how the regulations are.
As soon as the router detects anything that could be a radar signal, it has to switch off.

Anyway, I suggest you look in the router logs /var/log/messages and /var/log/log-message when the disconnections happen!
There are timestamps in the log-files, so you can match with your device disconnection time(s).

Please make sure you do not use a DFS channel for the WiFi.
Usage of DFS can cut off the WiFi at any moment, since that is how the regulations are.
As soon as the router detects anything that could be a radar signal, it has to switch off.

Anyway, I suggest you look in the router logs /var/log/messages and /var/log/log-message when the disconnections happen!
There are timestamps in the log-files, so you can match with your device disconnection time(s).
I wasn't using DFS channels and I don't know if those logs would stay after a factory reset. If you give me more instructions I can look for them in a few hours when I get home. I am not sure what directory you are talking about. Is this supposed to be any computer that is hard-wired to the router?

I wasn't using DFS channels and I don't know if those logs would stay after a factory reset. If you give me more instructions I can look for them in a few hours when I get home. I am not sure what directory you are talking about. Is this supposed to be any computer that is hard-wired to the router?
Directory? Eh? I mentioned no directory.

The logs are gone even after a reboot, and are overwritten after some time even without reboot.
So extract the logs before they are gone!

(The kamoj ad-on has functions to view them from the browser, and to continuously save them to a USB device e.g.
And you can switch on WiFi-supervision and look in the kamoj log as well!)

Interesting!

Would be great if that patch could be applied to @Voxel firmware. iptables works well, but the fail at listing with -S is annoying, forcing to use -L to see all table rules.
Bumping this one to get a reply from @Voxel .
Release V1.0.2.90SF still issues many errors:
Code:
# iptables:
root@R7800:~$ iptables -w 1 -v -t filter -S    >/dev/null
Can't find library for target `TRIGGER'
root@R7800:~$ iptables -w 1 -v -t security -S  >/dev/null
iptables v1.8.7 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `security': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
root@R7800:~$ iptables -w 1 -v -t mangle -S    >/dev/null
Can't find library for match `spiDoS'
root@R7800:~$ iptables -w 1 -v -t nat -S       >/dev/null
Can't find library for match `dnshijack'

# ip6tables:
root@R7800:~$ ip6tables -w 1 -v -t security -S >/dev/null
ip6tables v1.8.7 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `security': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
root@R7800:~$ ip6tables -w 1 -v -t nat -S      >/dev/null
ip6tables v1.8.7 (legacy): can't initialize ip6tables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps ip6tables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
root@R7800:~$

ipt_spiDoS.koBumping this one to get a reply from @Voxel .

Got it now.

I guess that there are the same issues with any stock firmware. Checking the codes.

Well you pointed two different issues:

(1) Such as

iptables -w 1 -v -t security -S

The problem is in the kernel configuration, namely IP_NF_SECURITY and IP6_NF_SECURITY configs are not set. The same in the stock. So kernel does not support this "security".

(2) Such as

iptables -w 1 -v -t filter -S
iptables -w 1 -v -t mangle -S
iptables -w 1 -v -t nat -S

The problem is that NG/DNI are using direct setting of some firewall rules/tables by net-wall (pre-built, no source codes). Not using iptables. Also there are several NG/DNI specific kernel modules such as

ipt_TRIGGER.ko
ipt_spiDoS.ko
ipt_dnshijack.ko
ipt_spiadvDoS.ko
. . .

So you have:

Most of them are included into GPL in binary form (pre-built). And I do not know their details. And usual standard iptables package does not have an interface to them. In the stock firmware as well. So this issue cannot be resolved. Sorry but at least now. I have no ideas/time (and wishes) to write my own version of iptables extension to deal with. I do not know how-to, black boxes, no sources.

The issue (1) could be resolved. You can try my snapshot version 1.0.2.90.1SF. Log:

1. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1l->1.1.1m.
2. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.2->1.14.0.
3. getdns package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.5.2->1.7.0.
4. Add 'check' package ('getdns' dependency).
5. stubby package is upgraded 0.3.0->0.4.0.
6. nano package is upgraded 5.9->6.0.
7. dnscrypt-proxy-2: add UPX packing.
8. Kernel config: Add IP_NF_SECURITY/IP6_NF_SECURITY (iptables).
9. redis package: optimize for a size.

Voxel.

Got it now.

I guess that there are the same issues with any stock firmware. Checking the codes.

Well you pointed two different issues:

(1) Such as

iptables -w 1 -v -t security -S

The problem is in the kernel configuration, namely IP_NF_SECURITY and IP6_NF_SECURITY configs are not set. The same in the stock. So kernel does not support this "security".

(2) Such as

The problem is that NG/DNI are using direct setting of some firewall rules/tables by net-wall (pre-built, no source codes). Not using iptables. Also there are several NG/DNI specific kernel modules such as

ipt_TRIGGER.ko
ipt_spiDoS.ko
ipt_dnshijack.ko
ipt_spiadvDoS.ko
. . .

So you have:

Most of them are included into GPL in binary form (pre-built). And I do not know their details. And usual standard iptables package does not have an interface to them. In the stock firmware as well. So this issue cannot be resolved. Sorry but at least now. I have no ideas/time (and wishes) to write my own version of iptables extension to deal with. I do not know how-to, black boxes, no sources.

The issue (1) could be resolved. You can try my snapshot version 1.0.2.90.1SF. Log:

1. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1l->1.1.1m.
2. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.2->1.14.0.
3. getdns package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.5.2->1.7.0.
4. Add 'check' package ('getdns' dependency).
5. stubby package is upgraded 0.3.0->0.4.0.
6. nano package is upgraded 5.9->6.0.
7. dnscrypt-proxy-2: add UPX packing.
8. Kernel config: Add IP_NF_SECURITY/IP6_NF_SECURITY (iptables).
9. redis package: optimize for a size.

Voxel.
Amazing @Voxel, thank you very much for both explanation and snapshot release!

Currently since long time I'm introducing iptables function supervision in the add-on,
and iptables sometimes just stop responding. Security is not used by stock/Voxel but I added tests of it for the add-on.
That's why I'm curious about all these error messages output...
When the problem occurs, reboot seems the only way to resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Got it now.

[…]

(2) Such as

ipt_TRIGGER.ko
ipt_spiDoS.ko
ipt_dnshijack.ko
ipt_spiadvDoS.ko
. . .

So you have:

[…]

Voxel.

Thank you for looking into this @Voxel

The most annoying part is that when iptables -S triggers an error message like “Can't find library for match (…)”, it exits and stops listing.
Is there an easy way to patch iptables to continue the listing (moving on to next line of rules) after it prints the error?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!