What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.98SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-96sf.79813/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-97sf.80458/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.98SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.97SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18.5->1.18.7.
2. Toolchain: GDB is upgraded 11.2->12.1.
3. zlib: add patch to fix CVE-2022-37434.
(score 9.8, Critical)​
4. expat package is upgraded 2.4.8->2.5.0 (fixing CVE-2022-40674, CVE-2022-43680).
(score 9.8, Critical)​
(score 7.5, High)​
5. OpenSSL 1.0.2u: add patches to fix CVE-2020-1971/CVE-2021-23841/CVE-2021-3712/CVE-2022-0778:
(score 5.9, Medium)​
(score 5.9, Medium)​
(score 7.4, High)​
(score 7.5, High)​
6. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.16.2->1.17.0 (fixing CVE-2022-3204).
(score 7.5, High)​
7. libxml2 package is upgraded 2.10.0->2.10.3 (fixing CVE-2022-40303, CVE-2022-40304).
(score 8.2, High)​
(score 8.2, High)​
8. stubby package is upgraded 0.4.0->0.4.2.
9. curl package is upgraded 7.84.0->7.86.0.
10. ethtool package is upgraded 5.18->6.0.
11. libflac package is upgraded 1.3.4->1.4.2.
12. ffmpeg package is upgraded 4.3.4->4.3.5.
13. minidlna package is upgraded 1.3.1->1.3.2.
14. libnl-tiny package is upgraded 2022-05-17->2022-05-23.
15. libubox package is upgraded 2022-05-15->2022-09-27.
16. libgpg-error package is upgraded 1.45->1.46.
17. popt package is upgraded 1.18->1.19.
18. libreadline package is upgraded 8.1.2->8.2.
19. gettext package is upgraded 0.21->0.21.1.
20. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.11->3.12.
21. hfsprogs is upgraded 332.25->540.1.
22. Host tools: upgrade xz to 5.2.7.
23. Host tools: upgrade mkimage/u-boot to 2022.10

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

螢幕擷取畫面 2022-10-29 191419.png

i skip the 97.1 & 97.4 update, upgrade to 98 flawlessly.
it's very stable as always, thx @Voxel

As usual, excellent work! :)

Dirty update from v1.0.2.97.4SF to v1.0.2.98SF via an Ethernet connection with Firefox on Windows 10.

Did receive the warning about uploading older firmware. Smooth update with no information screen problems during the update. Version number, progress bars, and etc. as expected. Did not have to log back into the router after the update. So far so good. :)

@Voxel Thank you!

Registered so I could post how wonderful the Voxel firmware has always been for me! One random note : I have noticed since upgrading to MacOS Ventura, routerlogin.net/com no longer properly resolves to the firmware/routers internal page. Neither does the current iOS device it seems. I opened up my old laptop thet had MacOS Capitan and it pulled the site no problem. I tried clearing cache, private browsing and FireFox/Safari/Chrome. Perhaps a new setting Im missing on the OS that someone may key me in on? FWIW, routerlogin.net worked fine on a Win10 enterprise machine. Thank you!

Last edited:
Registered so I could post how wonderful the Voxel firmware has always been for me! One random note : I have noticed since upgrading to MacOS Ventura, routerlogin.net/com no longer properly resolves to the firmware/routers internal page. Neither does the current iOS device it seems. I opened up my old laptop thet had MacOS Capitan and it pulled the site no problem. I tried clearing cache, private browsing and FireFox/Safari/Chrome. Perhaps a new setting Im missing on the OS that someone may key me in on? FWIW, routerlogin.net worked fine on a Win10 enterprise machine. Thank you!
Maybe you have specific settings for DNS server on your problematic MacOS.

Voxel.

Some browsers might nowadays use DNS-over-HTTPS, directly to a DNS server on the internet.
routerlogin.net only resolves to the router IP if you use the router as DNS.

I'm using MacOS Ventura with Safari / Firefox, and here it still resolves fine.
But probably I'm not representative, as I also use AdGuardHome -> it blocks lookups to the canary domain use-application-dns.net, so it forces browsers like Firefox to disable DoH and use normal DNS (which is forced to go via AGH).

You could try "nslookup use-application-dns.net" to check -> if it resolves to an IP than Firefox might be using DoH. If lookup fails, then DoH should be disabled.

Note, the above doesn't really explain why you also seem to have it in Safari. Unless Apple now also enabled DoH in Safari by default in Ventura.
Couldn't find much info about that. In the past, on MacOS you could only enable DoH by installing a specific profile.
(for instance via https://support.quad9.net/hc/en-us/...etup-MacOS-and-DNS-over-HTTPS-or-DNS-over-TLS)

Some browsers might nowadays use DNS-over-HTTPS, directly to a DNS server on the internet.
routerlogin.net only resolves to the router IP if you use the router as DNS.

I'm using MacOS Ventura with Safari / Firefox, and here it still resolves fine.
But probably I'm not representative, as I also use AdGuardHome -> it blocks lookups to the canary domain use-application-dns.net, so it forces browsers like Firefox to disable DoH and use normal DNS (which is forced to go via AGH).

You could try "nslookup use-application-dns.net" to check -> if it resolves to an IP than Firefox might be using DoH. If lookup fails, then DoH should be disabled.

Note, the above doesn't really explain why you also seem to have it in Safari. Unless Apple now also enabled DoH in Safari by default in Ventura.
Couldn't find much info about that. In the past, on MacOS you could only enable DoH by installing a specific profile.
(for instance via https://support.quad9.net/hc/en-us/...etup-MacOS-and-DNS-over-HTTPS-or-DNS-over-TLS)
This is very helpful. I have the r7800 in AP mode - just for wifi - which may add to the difficulty. The CenturyLink router I have is set to doing all the DHCP.

Hello Everyone :)

Just a quick question if I may.
I have my new AppleTV connected with an Eternet cable. I see it in the Attached Device. I wanted to change its icon and give it a new name, but when I click Apply, nothing is happening. I have tried with 3 different browsers (Safari, Vivaldi, and Firefox) on 2 different laptops.
Problem with the icons? Or something else?
What do you think? Any idea?
Thanx for your ideas and feedback :)

Hi,

Been using Voxel's firmware for a while now and love it!

I've been having this problem over the last few versions of firmware, and I'm not sure if it's firmware related or hardware related. Basically my WiFi speeds will go very poor, down to about 20Mb/s and latency will be all over the place, and then I have to reboot the router. I've checked for band interference and there doesn't seem to be any, and a reboot always seems to fix it. Is this likely a hardware issue or there a firmware setting I could try changing to see if it stops happening?

It seems completely random as to when the problem occurs.

I have my new AppleTV connected with an Eternet cable. I see it in the Attached Device. I wanted to change its icon and give it a new name, but when I click Apply, nothing is happening. I have tried with 3 different browsers (Safari, Vivaldi, and Firefox) on 2 different laptops.
Just did a test for you on one of my R7800 APs running @Voxel .98 and using the attached devices page I was able to change the icon and name of a device on the network. This icon/name change persisted through a few logout/re-login cycles. Firefox[106.0.5] on Windows 10, hardwired.
I have some names which include space or '-', and the longest name is 15 characters.
Good luck with your issue but I don't think it's the firmware.

Separate from your inquiry, this issue I previously posted at avsforum.com may apply to ATV 4K Gen3:

I installed my ATV 4K Gen 2 a few weeks ago. Used the ethernet port and never set up wifi.

I noticed that my router's DHCP server was refreshing the ATV4K's ip address every 3 to 10 minutes from checking the router log.

My Netgear 7800 running Voxel firmware does not feature any way to modify the DHCP refresh interval. It is what it is.

Therefore, I configured the ATV4K with a static ip address and of course the constant DHCP address refreshing stopped.

The 7800 does not show static ip addresses so I keep a spreadsheet with the devices I have configured with a static ip.

Just an fyi.

Just did a test for you on one of my R7800 APs running @Voxel .98 and using the attached devices page I was able to change the icon and name of a device on the network. This icon/name change persisted through a few logout/re-login cycles. Firefox[106.0.5] on Windows 10, hardwired.
I have some names which include space or '-', and the longest name is 15 characters.
Good luck with your issue but I don't think it's the firmware.
Thanx for your tests :)
I managed to change the name of the device on my R7800. Well, I just had to rename my AppleTV in its configuration and the name was also changed on my R7800. Silly me :D
But I cannot change its icon. Everytime I choose the AppleTV icon on the router, nothing is happening. The webpage hangs, and that's all.

Have you tried to use the AppleTV icon? Might be a faulty icon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!